Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
I can answer that in a pm smacker. I know the fellow rather well and actually helped him tie up 2 days after the crossing of the Wide Bay Bar.

Incidently, he said the trip was 'uneventful!'
I got your PM. Wow.

I would like to amend my post above. The driver isn't insane. He just has balls the size of Tasmania.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

51 knots microburst single handing in a Schock Harbor 25 !

Here is the customer email:

The microburst on June 24th was related to a severe weather system which produced heavy rain and hail. It ruined more than $100,000,000 of crops in the sector south of the lake. I was lucky, no rain, hail or lightning. If the midst of it all, I am happy not to have been the only boat with a mast standing in a severe T-Storm!

The wind hit with no warning. To the West the horizon was grey but nothing nasty looking. Sailing close hauled in 10-12 Kts when kaboom.

Knocked flat as you'd imagine. Uncleated the sails - jib flogged like mad. Beam to the wind tried to reef the jib, outhaul snapped. Reefed but with nothing to secure it, the flogging continued. Funny thing was that before the blast hit, I could see sails around the lake. Immediately after, I was the only one!

Still had the full main, could not contemplate trying to reef. An autopilot would have been very useful, but letting go of the tiller was not an option.
With no jib, weather helm even with the main sheeted out was pronounced to say the least. Used the engine to help turn the boat and put the wind almost dead astern. Then began the sleigh ride.

WInd dropped to 35-40 Kts but was sustained. Wild surfing and two hands on the tiller fighting weather helm.

I swore I was bending the tiller. I have never been this fast in a keel-boat in my life. I managed 13 Kts surfing in my Jeanneau 45.3 a few years back but on a 25 footer... wow. While the ride was thrilling, I was worried about the rudder and the mast. Full main with that much wind, well you can imagine the rest. After the fact, I wish someone had a video, I'd love to see what my boat looked like surfing at that speed.

It looked and felt like most of the hull was out of the water but fairly level fore and aft. In spite of the waves (they built instantly, the lake is shallow, average depth only about
13 feet), I was leaving a wake like a power boat.

My compliments, you build a very strong boat! Likewise to your sailmakers - The main took the stress without damage.

I felt bad not being able to help overturned and or dismasted boats as I flew by, but stopping was not an option. The radio was crackling with distress calls and I was happy to see various police and CG rescue boats headed for the disabled craft.

I entered the harbor of the yacht club leaving a heck of a wake but further in was somewhat sheltered and I was able to nose up to a dock into the wind and with some help from folks ashore drop my mainsail.

Final tally, a busted outhaul, a hole in the jib and the clew torn and mangled. Nothing much considering the circumstances.

Best,

Bob

Not bad for a small daysailer
Old 08-17-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDS123 View Post
Not bad for a small daysailer
Yeah, sounds like he's pretty good. I'm always amazed at the courage and resourcefulness of midgets....ahm, sorry....little people.

(Note: The above is a joke. You build a bad-ass boat WD.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-17-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-17-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Home from Maui

Got home yesterday.

I should have posted this link earlier for those who might want to track me down.

Vic Maui 2012 Return - Powered by Yellowbrick Tracking.

We had a Yellow Brick transponder abroad Turicum which tracked us on the way back. That provided some reassurance to the folks back home.

The web site allows you to select individual vessels, zoom in, animate, etc..

On August 7 at 39N 150W, there is a course deviation as we met a container ship to conduct a medical evacuation of a crew member. I have a lot of empathy for folks like Doug Sabbag. Docking next to a 900 foot ship is scary.

As I get photos and videos from crew members I will post them.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-17-2012
Last Man Standing

Jack...you, sir, are my hero.

Old 08-17-2012

The track

Old 08-17-2012
Last Man Standing

I just watched your track. What was the reason for the tack at roughly midway? It looked like you guys got some favorable winds after that point. So whatever you did...it worked! (Unless it was wind against waves...)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I just watched your track. What was the reason for the tack at roughly midway? It looked like you guys got some favorable winds after that point. So whatever you did...it worked! (Unless it was wind against waves...)
That was when we rendezvoused with the container ship Navarino to effect an medical evacuation of the one of the crew. Video to follow. In the process we broke the starboard sidelight, deflated two fenders and scratched the rub rail. Little no no damage to Navarino.

They took the crew member to LA from whence he flew home. He has surgery scheduled for next month.

The winds were generally great but we did have to motor in light winds.
Old 08-17-2012
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road

i had an experience with a microburst on lake superior several years ago. when it hit upwind from us i could see the tops blown off the waves. i had the full main & genny up. i headed down wind as my son & grandson struggled to get the genny down . i was too busy on the tiller to look at the wind & boat speed, but the water was boiling past the boat, & the boat was tipping side to side. after they got the genny down i started the engine & turned around & we lowered the main. that is faster than my boat has ever gone. i was a young 85 at the time
Old 08-18-2012
Last Man Standing

Jack and Bill - I definitely want to be like you guys when I grow up.

Younger generation...watch and learn.