Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
Welcome to the Club!
Heh-heh. I hope you just mean the BeachCat Club - and not the Fiasco club. Because if you too went through a huge fiasco like ours - we definitely need to drink a huge amount of rum together and commiserate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Actually, welcome to the 'fiasco club'. I think the boat was looking after you by dumping you lot onshore. Now thats pretty neat.

As to the fiasco club, now thats another epic story. to be contin....
smackdaddy likes this.

Old 10-09-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Smack, I guess right about now you are rethinking the wisdom of paint vs. pigmented gelcote… During the last two weeks we’ve seen a fair amount of America’s cup action on the Bay and those sailors and their boats are definitely on the far other side of the spectrum. Enjoy the steep part of the learning curve! Don’t you have kick up style rudders? Back in my Hobie cat days, we would rig the outhaul last of all, jump in and take off. Some of our races were Le Mans style beach starts. A lot of fun, but I guess you need a beach. Other than ruining the paint job, the repairs look to be well within your technology, so get at it! And if you need any pointers, I’ll be sure to ask Cayard (The Artemis team are now members of our club!)
Old 10-09-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Actually, welcome to the 'fiasco club'. I think the boat was looking after you by dumping you lot onshore. Now thats pretty neat.

As to the fiasco club, now thats another epic story. to be contin....
Sweet! This should be good!

I agree about the boat looking after us. We were doing a horrible job launching her - so Fiasco just took over and helped us out. Heh-heh.

Old 10-09-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Smack, I guess right about now you are rethinking the wisdom of paint vs. pigmented gelcote… During the last two weeks we’ve seen a fair amount of America’s cup action on the Bay and those sailors and their boats are definitely on the far other side of the spectrum. Enjoy the steep part of the learning curve! Don’t you have kick up style rudders? Back in my Hobie cat days, we would rig the outhaul last of all, jump in and take off. Some of our races were Le Mans style beach starts. A lot of fun, but I guess you need a beach. Other than ruining the paint job, the repairs look to be well within your technology, so get at it! And if you need any pointers, I’ll be sure to ask Cayard (The Artemis team are now members of our club!)
Artemis is at your club??? You lucky git! Hobnobbing with greatness! Tell Cayard that he needs to come here to check out my illustrious Multihull CV, then hire me as crew!

That was some seriously fun sailing dude. Wow. The rudders do kick-up (they lock down with a cable as shown below) - but I was afraid with such a steep drop off, I'd back down on them if I went full bows-to-wind.

I have no problem doing the repairs and repainting (gelcoat would have done nothing to help the carnage we inflicted on the poor hulls) - as long as we can get back out there and fly again!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-09-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2012

It’s a tough life Smack. On our Summer Sailstice open house this year, we had Oracle 76 on the race dock. The top sailors from the RSYC’s juniors program visited recently. One guy and the rest were comely blond girls in their late teens and early twenties. Needless to say, everyone enjoyed the swimming pool that weekend. The Swedish team has been really professional, most of the interactions have been locating housing and such. They occasionally use the pool during the weekdays. The rest of the time they are working in their compound up at the old Alameda NAS. I suspect as the main event gets nearer, more of them will start arriving and we will have more events with them. I am trying to figure out on how to score a ride on one of the 45s. No worries on that fiberglass repair. A little glass and little resin and it will buff right out!
Old 10-10-2012
SeŮor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Heh-heh. I hope you just mean the BeachCat Club - and not the Fiasco club. Because if you too went through a huge fiasco like ours - we definitely need to drink a huge amount of rum together and commiserate.
Well, lets say a little of both!

I've had my share of fiascos!

smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Smack I really appreciate your honesty and look forward to seeing some high speed videos!
Old 10-10-2012
Last Man Standing

Heh-heh. Why hide failure? It happens!

Sailors who never get it wrong...don't sail.

Old 10-10-2012

Smack, Just so you don't feel so lonely... Did you catch Spthill's wipe out on Saturday? At least your little escapade wasn't broadcast internationally (that is until you hit the "post quick reply" button.) Even the big boys can have a bad day!

ORACLE TEAM USA Spithill Capsize #acboathouse - YouTube