Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Yeah - and Coutts rammed the freakin' committee boat a few weeks ago. Remember that? I'm in great company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-10-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Heh-heh. Why hide failure? It happens!

Sailors who never get it wrong...don't sail.

If that's a fact then I'm onto my third or fourth circumnavigation ....

Well done Smack .... great writeup, look forward to Fiasco Goes Again.

So should we change your User Name to Smacked Daddy ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
So should we change your User Name to Smacked Daddy ?
Naaa. Failure's temporary. Ephemeral even.

"We shall overcome...." (sing along everyone)

Old 10-10-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Individual failure may be temporary but that is for wimps ... me I'm aiming for an all of life holistic experience ... i've decided that here is something I can really get my teeth into.
smackdaddy likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-10-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:

"Success teaches nothing." Bill Gates, The Road Ahead.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-10-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Knowing that you are following the exploits of Couts and Spithill, can we expect more antics from Team Smack in the future? Good to read that you were able to get the little Smacklings on board before the end of the day – gives them a good positive ending and I am sure they want to go out again. A dumb question, why didn’t you walk the boat on a painter out to the T Dock and rig it there? You might want to find some vinyl stripping at an auto parts store as the cat is looking a little too “bananasque”. Have thought about naming it after those flying banshees in the Avatar movie? I think they were called something like ikran or toruk. Would make for a good graphic on the side. Seems apropos to me. How about a naming contest?
Old 10-10-2012
Last Man Standing

GB - We definitely should have taken it to the t-dock. At the time, it just seemed a lot more difficult than launching from the "beach". I had no problem sailing to and from the dock - so it definitely would have been the right move. Next time we'll know.

As for the striping - I wanted to wait to see if I banged anything up (and need to touch up the paint) before putting on the finishing touches. Turns out that was a pretty good move, eh?

The name is "Fiasco". It's just too perfect.

Old 10-10-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the write up smack. Your "regained bowel control" line almost had beer coming out my nostrils!

I also think that Fiasco is the perfect name.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 10-11-2012

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks Smack, funny as hell. Beach Cats are a blast. I flat wore out a Hobie 16. Then I got a job selling G-cat's and had a 18' demo to sail. It's the speed, it's always fun and exciting.

Loved the "humiliation zone!" I've been there.

Enjoy your second rebuilding.

DB
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-15-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Hilarious write up Smacky Steve! I was nearly crying from laughing.
So you got scratched by your cat!?! Now you've got the fever!!!

All I can tell you is that you will NEVER have another launch like that. One trip to the humiliation zone is enough to make even the most dense of people figure out how to avoid going there in the first place.

Reminds me of a trip to the humiliation zone I experienced with a new to me 19' Lightning, not quite as fast as a beach cat but it is a planing hull.
First launch. Mid summer. It takes time to step the mast and ensure that everything is rigged nearly correctly on an unfamiliar boat.
We finally get under sail in Lloyd Harbor (near Huntington) just as the sky to the west is darkening. Crap, a thunderstorm. I had my wife, sister and nephew with me and the general consensus was to head back to the launch ramp as rain, lightning and thunder came on quickly.
We beached the Lightning and I had the presence of mind to lower the main sail. For some inexplicable reason I left the jib raised as we all headed for my car in a vain attempt to stay dry. As with most thunderstorms there came a front of wind that I noticed was moving the tree branches around outside my windshield. About this time I began to worry what the winds from the storm might do with the jib still deployed on the Lightning. I ran down to the beach only to see my new Lightning about 20 yards from shore sailing off on it's own. By now there were lightning strikes all around me that discouraged me from swimming after the boat so I went back to my car in humiliation.

Fifteen minutes later the front had passed and we could see my new Lightning (#11416) capsized about 200 yards away with it's mast stuck in the harbor mud. We swam out to the boat and tried to right it by standing on the center board but no joy. The mast was well stuck in the mud and it was just high tide.

Plan B called for waiting for the tide to go out and we brought pitch forks, shovels and other gardening implements down to the scene of humiliation. I had to dig about the top 6' of the mast out of the harbor intertidal zone. The tip of the mast must have been 3' deep in the muck. On the bright side we ended up with a few dozen hard and soft shelled clams that turned out to be delicious.

When the boat capsized the upturned hull faced the wind and general direction of the waves which pounded the hull and pushed the mast deeper and deeper into the mud. It is surprising how quickly a situation can go from the exhilaration zone to the humiliation zone.
Izzy1414 likes this.

Everybody has one: