Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: The Fiasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
....Then came The Question: "So, have you guys ever sailed before?" The humiliation was complete.......
I almost coughed up my coffee. Epic story is right.

Nice writing by the way.

Now get that floating banana back out there and meet your commitments. We're good with the no practice part so far.

Quote:
No worries minne. I have no intention of "practicing" before hanging my well-toned butt off a flying hull in 20 knots while sipping a martini...for the ladies on shore, of course. It's just how I roll.
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Minne - not to worry, my martini glass came through completely unscathed. My well-toned butt? Not so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: The Fiasco

Quote:
Now if any of you have ever been around horses, you'll know that they can be very picky about who gets on their backs. If they don't trust you, don't think you know what you're doing, or don't like you - they'll do everything they can to buck you off. But it's what they do next that is eerily similar to this situation. Typically, after they throw you, they'll trot a short distance away and start grazing - keeping a wary eye on you. Kind of mocking you.

Was that what just happened?
Sounds like you tried to mount from the right side instead of the left.

Quote:
Then came The Question: "So, have you guys ever sailed before?" The humiliation was complete.
Oooooooohh - and from a POWERBOATER yet - that's gotta hurt.

Chin up Smackdown Daddy, you got a great name for the boat out of it.
smackdaddy likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-01-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Just got back from a very nice off-shore overnighter, delivering the boat I race on back to it's home marina. 150 miles from Port A to Galveston. We saw more unlit rigs on this trip than on any previous runs - freakin' scary. Also got hit by a squall with full sails up and 6'-8' seas - but only got a wet rail and a top trip speed of 11.8 knots to show for it. Good times!

What sucks is that I missed out on the race this boat was in last weekend; the Harvest Moon Regatta. They got hit by a norther with a solid 30+ knots for 8 hours. They had a blast - and kept reminding me of that fact as we brought the boat back. Bastards. BUT - they had a DNF due to some trouble at the finish.

Anyway, write up and pics coming soon.

Old 11-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Just got back from a very nice off-shore overnighter, delivering the boat I race on back to it's home marina. 150 miles from Port A to Galveston. We saw more unlit rigs on this trip than on any previous runs - freakin' scary. Also got hit by a squall with full sails up and 6'-8' seas - but only got a wet rail and a top trip speed of 11.8 knots to show for it. Good times!

What sucks is that I missed out on the race this boat was in last weekend; the Harvest Moon Regatta. They got hit by a norther with a solid 30+ knots for 8 hours. They had a blast - and kept reminding me of that fact as we brought the boat back. Bastards. BUT - they had a DNF due to some trouble at the finish.

Anyway, write up and pics coming soon.
Unlit Oil Rigs ? Holy fornication, Smackman. Not much moon for half the night either. Errkkk .

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-04-2012
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Unlit Oil Rigs ? Holy fornication, Smackman. Not much moon for half the night either. Errkkk .
Lots and lots of unlit oil rigs. It's pretty insane. I would definitely not want to do that area without radar...although some boats do. Obviously, I don't have any pics of those at night - though I do have a pic of one of the biggest ones (5 platforms with catwalks between them) taken at dusk in a past race. At night, it's as dark as it can be...and could dismast and sink you in a heartbeat.

Oh yea, I'll also have to tell you about the fire. I do have pics of that...

Old 11-06-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I was reading the coast pilot for NW Australia the other day and apparently that neck of the woods is littered with oil and gas rigs, both lit and unlit as well. RADAR seems like a good idea.....

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 11-06-2012
Last Man Standing

Look at this bad boy...

...5 towers for ramming, catwalks between them for dismasting, all completely dark at night.

Radar is freakin' awesome.

Old 11-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

How in heavens name can they be allowed to be unlit ? (Med ... this applies to the Oz ones as well btw) Utterly unbelieveable.

I was unaware that they also littered the NW Oz coast .

I've never sailed NW Oz so havn't read the pilot.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-06-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Look at this bad boy...
...5 towers for ramming, catwalks between them for dismasting, all completely dark at night.
I suppose it's all your fault if you hit one of these boat killers. Are they marked on any charts? If they require lights for towers on land so planes won't hit them, why not on these rigs? Something's stinks about this.

I know! Let's wait until some unsuspecting boater hits one and there is loss of life.