Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Jul - most are marked on the charts like you see below...

But, since we have no idea if they're all marked (which we doubt), and since we know that many are not lit...we only trust our radar and our eyes. But on really dark nights, that gets very difficult.

Most of the guys I sail with are in the oil industry (out of Houston). They say the reason many of them are unlit is because they are close in (less than 10 miles) in relatively shallow water. This translates into the fact that it was far cheaper to explore there and many more companies gave it a go. But, most of them were smaller operations that went bust...and when that happened they just walked. There was no one left to go after.

The bigger companies do a good job of taking care of their stuff.

People think that the CG should do something about it...but they're so underfunded for their primary mission, that going around and installing lights on hundreds of rigs is WAY beyond their budget.

So...it's just a problem that has no easy solution...apart from radar.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Freakin' Sails-rigs.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-06-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the explanation Smack. Same story all over - no money for infrastructure, or should we call that extrastructure?
Old 11-06-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

So as many of you know, I did a 190 mile trip across the Gulf from Port Aransas to Galveston this past weekend. I'd have to say that although most of it was motor sailing (which I hate), it still rated as a BFS.

Everything from boat fires...

...to gnarly squalls...

...to great fishing...

...to seriously impressive SOG during one of those squalls...

Check it out here.

Old 11-06-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Good onya Smacko

Old 11-06-2012
Last Man Standing

Thanks brew.

Old 11-06-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I suppose it's all your fault if you hit one of these boat killers. Are they marked on any charts? If they require lights for towers on land so planes won't hit them, why not on these rigs? Something's stinks about this.

I know! Let's wait until some unsuspecting boater hits one and there is loss of life.

From the Australia coast pilot, page 81 (emphasis mine):
http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...5/Pub175bk.pdf

Caution.—Numerous oil and gas fields exist off the NW
coast of Australia. Each field contains clusters of installations
consisting of lighted and unlighted, permanent and moveable,
and awash and submerged structures. Most, but not all, structures
exhibit lights, especially the platforms. Since not all features
are charted or marked, mariners are cautioned to exercise
special care when navigating these waters.

Make sure your radar works, and/or sail in the daylight!

MedSailor
Old 11-06-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Esso drilled for gas in the Beaufort years ago and the artificial sand islands have washed away but the drill stem still sticks out. I was lucky not to find one with my yellow cedar hull but one of Dome's ice strengthened supply ships flooded her engine room when she came across one.
Old 11-07-2012

biology is on a distinguished road

Lots of great stories.... It'd take me a long time to catch up on the nearly 250 pages of info over the years on this thread.

Just adding a short story, nothing epic like some of things so many others have endured... just in my mind really funny actually in a "family interaction" sort of way.

...heading out with my aunt and uncle 5 or so years ago on lake erie. Blustery to say the least, but at the time his boat was well over 40 feet (I simply can NOT remember what it was) and he was very comfortable sailing her, and I'm confident in his abilities. My aunt was at the helm, uncle at the companionway playing crew as all lines came back... Main was reefed, jib was rolled out just a bit, and we were close hauled just out of from the protective breakers. The waves were rolling big... the wind was solid... the boat was creeping forward... and the decision was made to tack. As we came about the timing was perfect, but perhaps not in a good way. Right as we began sliding over the back side of a big rolling wave our trajectory was perfect along the side of the boat and the wind easily pushed the sails over... The boat was deep in this trough, on it's side, the main was taking in some water and that moment seemed to suspend there forever in slow motion. I swear it seemed like all I could see was water. We were all tucked into the cockpit hanging on and I didn't have the sensation of coming out of the boat or danger. It was in all reality a very calm moment. We just waited for those slow moments to pass as the rolling wave lifted us back up and the boat (like a weeble-wobble) stood back up. Of course the water that started to fill the main was flung across us, which made for a nice dramatic touch.

Now here's what to me is the funny part. We're now moving through the water much better and heading out where the water doesn't seem so unpredictable. This is good sailing!! And after just a few moments of that great sailing my aunt says, "Don, I think we should head back." He knows she was startled, but we were fine and said something along the lines of, "well, we're fine... sailing is good... getting out into better water... etc" She paused. Eyes fixed on my uncle who seemed to be trying to mind his own business adjusting a sheet or considering letting some more of the jib out. She didn't let him off the hook, and though he wasn't looking at her, she was looking strong at him and simply said (in a tone that makes every husband's spine tingle), "Don."

He didn't move.... then glanced at her, almost slowly... paused again... then said (somewhat light-hearted), "Yeah, that's fine, we can head back... we've had our fun... mumble-mumble.. trail off trail off.... "

We tucked back in without any troubles whatsoever, had some wine in the slip, and called it a great day on the water. Looking back I still laugh when I can see so clearly in my mind my aunt's expression.... tone... and my uncle's smart response.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 11-07-2012
Last Man Standing

Hey bio, welcome to the BFS thread. It has some truly incredible sailing stories...so it's worth the read.

Speaking of, nice offering! I know EXACTLY the tone you describe in your aunt's voice. When the old lady is giving you the stink-eye...you probably just BFS'd. As a dude, you're all excited that you didn't die - so you're ready for more! That never seems to fly with the Brooding Freaked-out Spouse.

You always have make decisions based on the storm that's most likely to kill you. Sounds like your uncle chose wisely. Heh-heh.

Old 11-07-2012

biology is on a distinguished road

@smack: thanks for the welcome. It's funny how when you look back on something; how it turned out forms your perspective. No harm no foul.

No one was hurt... nothing was broken... we were on the water maaaaybe 30 minutes.

One of the BEST days sailing ever

If we were in a smaller boat there may have been some soiling going on and the memories wouldn't be so fond, "and we all got into the car with our jackets around our waists because we threw out our crapped-in-pants and drove to the nearest bar."

Not all adventures are dangerous... and danger isn't always adventurous.
You can have fun and be safe, and be dangerous doing something boring.
smackdaddy likes this.