Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Stories like Julie's are what BFS is all about - so it deserved to go big in the revered halls of the Featured Throwdown. I had nothing to do with that awesomeness.
Thanks, but you put it together. I sent you about all I could find with the pics and you used them all really well. Nice job!

I've never raced the Chicago-Mac but I sailed up there 8 times. In 2011, the race had its first fatalities when a storm clocking 100 knots tore through the racers. Here's a video of one boat coming into the storm. This is an enormous BFS!

This is what was left of the boat that had loss of life, Wingnuts, a Kiwi 35
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Thanks, but you put it together. I sent you about all I could find with the pics and you used them all really well. Nice job!

I've never raced the Chicago-Mac but I sailed up there 8 times. In 2011, the race had its first fatalities when a storm clocking 100 knots tore through the racers. Here's a video of one boat coming into the storm. This is an enormous BFS!
Mackinac - The Storm to remember 2011 - YouTube

This is what was left of the boat that had loss of life, Wingnuts, a Kiwi 35
Wingnuts 7-19-2011 - YouTube
That was definitely one crazy wicked storm. I followed the whole thing pretty closely when it was going on. What happened to Wingnuts was a major tragedy. A boat design that was very vulnerable to exactly what hit it.

BFS is always about facing big conditions, yes...but it's much more about coming home...then excitedly telling your story for years. Go big - but stay safe.

PS - Here's the best and most sobering video I've seen from the 2011 Mac:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Nice videos re the macinac race last year.

Those fronts come in like freight trains sometimes. About a month ago, while distance racing on an evelyn 26 with some add on crew, we had a front blow on through. We saw it coming on the water about 3 miles away, so we figured we had some time. Literally ten seconds later it hit us full on. We autotacked and were taken aback when an at least 25 knot sustained wind hit us with full genny and lightwind settings and the boat was knocked down to over 90 degrees, spreader in the water. I could see the crew on the low side literally floating near the cabintop until the helm finally got the sheets released and we popped back up. Conditions went from 8-10 knots wind, sunny and flat, to 25 gusting higher with rain and 4' steep chop/swells within 2 minutes flat.

I have always wanted a trimaran, but after broaching and getting knocked down this season with experienced racers as crew, it makes me think we prob would have capsized a trimaran if we had one. At least monohulls pop back up when u screw up... Except j/24's ...
Old 11-11-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
PS - Here's the best and most sobering video I've seen from the 2011 Mac:
Yeah, that's intense! I've been on Michigan many times when a storm blew through. It comes on you so fast you barely have time to prepare. But nothing I've been in was even close to that!

The first sailboat I was ever on was called the Rubaiyat. It was an old Alden (I think), built in the mid 30's. It won the Mac twice, in '36 and '37. In one of those years a violent storm hit the fleet. I think they started with about 50-60 boats. Only 8 finished. The Rubaiyat had one crew who worked full time mending sails. At one point they pulled into port to sit out the worst of the storm. Then they headed back out into weather most of us would never sail into. I read the story years ago in a Chicago Yacht Club history archive. It made sailing on the Rubaiyat even more special.
Old 11-18-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Does crossing the finish line just before completely shearing your boom off the mast, including the entire gooseneck fitting, then finding that the main halyard cover has worn through and bunching up so you can't drop it either count?
Note to self, a J24 is quite interesting in 20+ knots with a full main and spinnaker.

Old 11-18-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Yeah - I'd definitely say that counts P.

Old 12-15-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Smackdaddy and all the rest of you I just read about a man named Jarvis that is going to try to copy Shackelton open boat same stuff and all I was going to start a thread noticed sail net has one but the crowd in it is wicked. 2 pages of trash from dock huggers. If he makes it half way and lives it will be huge. Go check it out find the thread and post and post!! Back round so you can find out some with out all the bad crowd making the water turn to mud is expedition watch the shackelton epic wwwoutsideonline Regards, Lou

Last edited by Lou452; 12-15-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2012
Last Man Standing

Where's the SN thread? I hate having to use the search function.

Old 12-15-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Smackdaddy and all the rest of you I just read about a man named Jarvis that is going to try to copy Shackelton open boat same stuff and all I was going to start a thread noticed sail net has one but the crowd in it is wicked. 2 pages of trash from dock huggers. If he makes it half way and lives it will be huge. Go check it out find the thread and post and post!! Back round so you can find out some with out all the bad crowd making the water turn to mud is expedition watch the shackelton epic wwwoutsideonline Regards, Lou
Trouble keeping your train of though together for a whole sentence at a time? Try this!

(Meant as a friendly jab and a friendly suggestion to please try and make your posts easier to understand! )

MedSailor
Lou452 likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 12-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
You get out much? If the Shakelton thread is wicked to you, I would suggest valium. Lots of it. Whatever you do, be sure to avoid any real BFS, you might burst an aneurysm.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.