Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Smackdaddy and all the rest of you I just read about a man named Jarvis that is going to try to copy Shackelton open boat same stuff and all I was going to start a thread noticed sail net has one but the crowd in it is wicked. 2 pages of trash from dock huggers. If he makes it half way and lives it will be huge. Go check it out find the thread and post and post!! Back round so you can find out some with out all the bad crowd making the water turn to mud is expedition watch the shackelton epic wwwoutsideonline Regards, Lou
Here are a couple of the "dock huggers" (the Admiral and me) finishing first in our class in the 25th annual Blackburn challenge; a 20 mile open ocean race that finishes in Blackburn's home port of Gloucester, MA. We couldn't find a dock to hug so we got into one of our small double enders and joined the salute to Mr. Blackburn! A maritime hero of ours.

Down

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Here are a couple of the "dock huggers"....
Yea, I decided not to bite on the dock hugger comment. I assumed Lou is a booger picking, x-game watching, nerd with taped coke bottle spectacles that lives in his parent's basement. At the least, I've seen his kind puking over the rail, while the rest of the crew naps.

Close?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-16-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

sorry mom dead when I was 15. Dad passed when my first son was 2 weeks old I was 22 I was living in my own home not renting 3 states away. I do not drink soft drinks or hard drinks. You are right I do have four eyes. I read the book on Shackelton. He made the bfs ever imho. Shackelton had his troubles but that sail and little hike was super human. Looks like I got a few things wrong about you also. Sorry about that mates. Oh and good race Down 20 miles is a haul . Regards Lou
Old 12-16-2012
Tundra Down

Lou,

Read up on Blackburn. He was amazing, too.

Down
Old 12-17-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Lou,

Agreed, Shackleton's BFS may be the best ever, and he was certainly the best captain ever. Keeping a crew together through all that.... wow. I especially liked reading about his "game" of, "what's for dinner is under the hat".

In other BFS news, I'm safely on the couch reading SN after tripling up the lines on my boat. Big storm warning here and it's blowing nicely. Here is a wintertime video to whet the appetites of those of us who are couch-bound for now.

You know what I love the most about Australians and the Kiwis who imitate them? They're so under-spoken. Listen to this guy's account of being told to take an experimental boat out and see if he can break it. FORTY-some knots over the ground and the bows burying at regular intervals, with a pitch-pole a very real possibility and he is all cool and calm in his description of it. Just look at how small that jib of their is!

Anyone else got the stones to gybe downwind at 42knots of boat speed? My account of the race would begin with, "after I my bowels were completely emptied I could get on with the business of holding on to the nearest stanchion...."

Cheers mate! --MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 12-17-2012
Tundra Down

Amazing! Can't begin to imagine how that must feel. Not sure I want to know!

Down
Old 12-17-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Thank you I will check out Blackburn. Please give the full name and around the time of his feats. When a captian sets out for lets say a big sail? I am trying to get some feed back here. If it is like the Kiwis above or Shakelton, the 8 millon $ capsize in the SAN FRAN bay or even the HMS Bounty?? When is it a fool and when is it a BFS. Shakelton had no choice or did he? It would be like us setting off to Mars. The cup racers have a lot of data and are cutting edge. I am not sure The HMS Bounty is related. I pick her fate because it seems so easy to call less than wize. What steps make it a calculated risk and what makes it less? I do not expect a one size fits all, just some thoughts. I have my own thought. I think a bad day out on the water is better that a good day at work. Regards, Lou
smackdaddy and ShaunAtkins like this.
Old 12-18-2012
Tundra Down

Lou,

Howard Blackburn is considered on of the great solo sailors. He is worth checking out if you are interested in BFSs. His sailing adventures followed his life fishing. He sailed around Cape Horn and soloed the Atlantic twice in small boats. With no fingers! Yikes!

Blackburn Challenge - History

The event both celebrates and helps to keep alive the story of Howard Blackburn’s desperate mid-winter 1883 rowing of a small fishing dory from the Burgeo Bank fishing grounds to refuge on the south coast of Newfoundland. Blackburn and his dorymate Thomas Welch had become separated from the Gloucester fishing schooner Grace L. Fears during a sudden squall and found themselves nearly sixty miles from the nearest land. Over the course of the ensuing five-day ordeal, Welch would give up and succumb to a merciful death, whereas Blackburn would allow his bare hands to freeze to the shape of the oars, and row until he reached land.

Though Blackburn survived he ultimately suffered the loss of most of his fingers and toes due to frostbite. In spite of his handicap, he later went on to twice sail solo across the Atlantic Ocean, earning himself the title “The Fingerless Navigator”. His story is told in Joseph E. Garland’s “Lone Voyager”.

Quite a BFS mariner! Read this book if you get the chance.

Down
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by downeast450; 12-18-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Let's file this one under...

"You're doing it wrong."

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-19-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Let's file this one under...

"You're doing it wrong."
LOL! Puttering around a mooring field, and they call it "Heavy weather Extreme sailing"!

oh well, I guess they get a thrill out of living "on the edge"!
Hull#101