Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree224Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

I like how the tacked right in front of the power boat at about 2:00. That looked close.

As for tearing around the crowded mooring field on the edge of control.... not me. My insurance premiums are high enough thank you very much!

MedSailor
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 01-21-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I like how the tacked right in front of the power boat at about 2:00. That looked close.

As for tearing around the crowded mooring field on the edge of control.... not me. My insurance premiums are high enough thank you very much!

MedSailor
Well, I don't know if you could call it "tearing around on the edge of control"! To me it looks like they aren't even breaking 4kts! They aren't even kicking up a wake!
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Swimming solo behind your fully canvassed Open 60 in the middle of nowhere...

Tanguy De Lamotte takes a swim - Vendée Globe 2012-2013

Them's some stones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-25-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Makes any sailing I might do bath tub toy boat time. I will just have to read about it and look at the pictures. Take a day sail and have a day dream. Tanguy De Lamotte May you be blessed with fair winds. Regards, Lou
Old 01-25-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Makes any sailing I might do bath tub toy boat time. I will just have to read about it and look at the pictures. Take a day sail and have a day dream. Tanguy De Lamotte May you be blessed with fair winds. Regards, Lou
Lou, there's no such thing as "bath tub toy" sailing. Any time you're sailing - on any boat - on any body of water - it's the real deal. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I got a lot of that kind of name-calling back in the day by guys who claimed they were "real sailors". They weren't.

Just go sailing and love it. That's how De Lomotte got to where he is. That lucky bastard.
downeast450 likes this.

Old 01-25-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Them's some stones.

Sure it's cool. But one fart of wind and that photo would all but guarantee him this year's Darwin Award.

Wow. Yup, stones.

MedSailor

PS Is this the first BFS to be done in 0.0KTS of wind???

Last edited by MedSailor; 01-25-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Sure it's cool. But one fart of wind and that photo would all but guarantee him this year's Darwin Award.

Wow. Yup, stones.

MedSailor

PS Is this the first BFS to be done in 0.0KTS of wind???
I didn't say it was cool. No way in hell I'd do that.

What I find intriguing is the level of comfort he feels. Is it only the "invincibility of youth"? Or is he maybe just good enough that Darwin doesn't bother?

We all worry and fret over Darwin every day of our lives. Him? Not so much. Hmmmm.

Yes...definitely the first 0.0K BFS.
zeehag likes this.

Old 01-26-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Them's some stones.
Swimming solo behind your fully canvassed Open 60 in the middle of nowhere.....and having enough time to take a selfie with your open 60 framed perfectly over your shoulder takes ridiculously large stones.

I am guessing though that somewhere not seen in the pic is a line running back to the boat. If not add another 30% to those stones.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

Old 01-26-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Yes, he tied himself to the boat with a rope, as his Vendee Globe post claims.

Quote:
Hi all,

What a magical end to the night, the sea was so flat I could almost see the reflection of shooting stars. Incredible! Then the sun rose, it was beautiful, even though there was no wind, or very little. It was getting warm so I decided to take a swim...

I used the opportunity to check the rudder. It is actually more damaged on the side than I thought, I had to dive to see it. But it will be ok. I also took a look at the other rudder and the keel and they're fine too.

I swam a little, tied to Initiative-coeur with a rope, but the boat just wasn't moving. A nice red and white boat on the blue sea, it was the first time I could see it from the outside. I also saw fish, they were probabaly wondering what I was doing in the water.

I visited the top of the mast yesterday, and the bortom of the keel today. IMOCA yachts are huge!

Have a good night, you all, the wind is coming back and I'm feeling fresh, at least for a few hours...

Tanguy.

Intentionally raised his sails in zero wind. You never know.

Intentionally, tied a rope around his waste and went swimming solo to check his rudder. That can be necessary.

Intentionally, brought a camera to take a pic of himself in front of his boat on the middle of the ocean with his sails up. Priceless narcissist.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-26-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Swimming solo behind your fully canvassed Open 60 in the middle of nowhere.....and having enough time to take a selfie with your open 60 framed perfectly over your shoulder takes ridiculously large stones.

I am guessing though that somewhere not seen in the pic is a line running back to the boat. If not add another 30% to those stones.
He was tethered to the boat, anything else would be suicidal... And, the use of an ultra-wide angle lens distorts his apparent distance from the boat considerably, he would not have been quite as far away from the boat as it might seem in the pic... GREAT photo, but I would guess he took more than a couple, to get it just right...

I simply can't imagine doing that, one of the things that terrifies me the most, is going over the side in open water.. Then again, I can't imagine doing about 99% of the stuff these Vendee guys and girls do, anyway. Absolutely incredible sailors, I highly recommend Derek Lundy's GODFORSAKEN SEA, his riveting account of the 1996-97 Vendee Globe...

Robert Stone's novel OUTERBRIDGE REACH, is loosely based on the story of Donald Crowhurst... One of the more memorable scenes for me, was one in which the protagonist toys with the idea of going for a swim behind the boat, un-tethered, as he teeters on the edge of the sort of madness that Crowhurst had descended into...

And, of course, THE STRANGE LAST VOYAGE OF DONALD CROWHURST by Tomalin and Hall, is a must-read, a fascinating book... And Peter Nichols' A VOYAGE FOR MADMEN, his account of the very first Globe Challenge in 1968, is very worthwhile, as well... Damn, this race has produced a lot of wonderful writing, and of course great reading...