Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Absolutely incredible sailors, I highly recommend Derek Lundy's GODFORSAKEN SEA, his riveting account of the 1996-97 Vendee Globe...
+1 I read this book a few months ago. Before reading this book I had NO IDEA exactly what these guys were doing on those boats. Spinnakers up in gale? Always. Regularly keeping the boat speed above 25kts, check! These guys and girls are in a whole different category than even many of the pro sailors are.

Curiously, as they sail the southern ocean, near the iceberg limit, going 25Kts with spinnaker up in a gale, their idea of safety it to carry between 3 and 5 EPIRBS and have buoyant bulkheads for their boats. Usually worked too...

MedSailor
smackdaddy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah, I remember reading about that guy. But everyone knows the rules of BFS...

Rescue=FAIL

You gotta bring her home for it to count.

(PS - Jon, do you agree with Chuck on this part?

"Delord, a very experienced ocean sailor, was apparently stalking the Vendee Globe fleet in a bid to sail non-stop around the world alone through the Southern Ocean when he was forced to abandon his boat.")
Not sure exactly what there is to agree or disagree with there, but it certainly appears Delord was a VERY experienced sailor... Hell, the fact that he made it as far as he did, and through the Southern Ocean from the Cape of Good Hope and past Cape Leuwin in that boat, is still pretty damn impressive...

At any rate, thank god for cruise ships, it's amazing how many have become involved in coming to the aid of sailors of late...

Here's another from last year, very curious... Tough to see what the "severe damage" was that led to this one (appears to be a Morgan 38, a pretty tough boat) being abandoned north of Cuba...

Sail-World.com : Another rescue by AMVER ship Northern Star - thank you AMVER!

Of course, HOKULANI survived, drifted up into the Gulf of Mexico to the vicinity of the Mississippi Delta, and was eventually salvaged...

BoaterEd - Abandoned Sailboat passing our platform
Old 01-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

Quote:

Here's another from last year, very curious... Tough to see what the "severe damage" was that led to this one (appears to be a Morgan 38, a pretty tough boat) being abandoned north of Cuba...
Clearly since the boat drifted so far without sinking there was no imminent danger. As for damage, I see a couple of possibilities:

It looks like the lower shrouds on both sides are slack and swinging around. They could be running backstays, or flag halyards or something else but it looks like the shrouds are slack.

I'm also wondering if they lost a headstay. Is the boat a cutter or double headsail sloop? The furled headsail in the video does not extend all the way to the end of the bowsprit, or meet up with the bobstay. Was there another stay out there before that is now gone?

MedSailor

Old 01-27-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Clearly since the boat drifted so far without sinking there was no imminent danger. As for damage, I see a couple of possibilities:

It looks like the lower shrouds on both sides are slack and swinging around. They could be running backstays, or flag halyards or something else but it looks like the shrouds are slack.

I'm also wondering if they lost a headstay. Is the boat a cutter or double headsail sloop? The furled headsail in the video does not extend all the way to the end of the bowsprit, or meet up with the bobstay. Was there another stay out there before that is now gone?

MedSailor
No, what appears to be slack are halyards... And, that "bowsprit" is simply an anchor platform added on, the headstay on the Morgan 382 is at the stem...

The boat appears remarkably "tidy" for one supposedly having suffered "severe damage"... Sails are neatly furled/stowed, additional gear such as windvane, wind generator, solar panels are all in place... Hell, even the jerry jugs on deck haven't been disturbed...

Interestingly, the boat is now listed on Yachtworld, that's a lot of boat and gear for $18K... Looks like all the photos were taken as soon as she was brought into port, exactly as she was abandoned... Some of the pics confirm the upper and lower shrouds all appear to be in place... The only apparent damage obviously occurred after she was abandoned and during the course of the salvage, the anchor platform is mangled, and there is heavy impact damage to the caprail amidships...

I'm guessing someone simply wanted to get the hell off that boat... (grin)

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=23306&url=

Last edited by JonEisberg; 01-27-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Ahh, I think I spotted the reason they abandonded. In photo 28, you can see very clearly that the roll of toilet paper appears to have gotten wet at some point. It's all wrinkly.

Who in their right mind would have stayed with that boat knowing that?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-27-2013
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
The boat appears remarkably "tidy" for one supposedly having suffered "severe damage"... Sails are neatly furled/stowed, additional gear such as windvane, wind generator, solar panels are all in place... Hell, even the jerry jugs on deck haven't been disturbed...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=23306&url=

Jesus people! It's an EPIRB not "OnStar".

MedSailor
jephotog likes this.

Old 02-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

This guy's definitely a BFSer...

Freakin' classic.
kellysails and jasenj1 like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-10-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2013

schelli is on a distinguished road

Scary proposition.
Old 02-20-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by schelli View Post
Scary proposition.
I love the YBW Crash Boat explosion at the end as he's toastin' a bone. Hilarious.

Old 02-21-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

WOW! WTH

That was funny, love his theory on boating safety