Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree268Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

That sucks man. Happy to take you out any time on Travis if you get the itch.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Smack, that is horrible. Very sorry to hear that.

Almost afraid to ask. Insurance??

Marina may bear some liability for that missing bumper. Even if you have insurance, yours will probably attempt to subrogate against theirs.

The fetch had to be the real killer. We've had 55 kt winds in the marina as hurricanes brushed by each of the past two years, with zero damage. No fetch. Everyone did, of course, double up on lines and fenders.

Sad day in Smackville.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-28-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Wow! Smack my sincerest condolences. That is horrible news. Hopefully insurance steps up and you will get back out on the water soon. If you are ever on the east coast stop by my way and you'll always have a boat to sail on.
Old 02-28-2013

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Sorry for your loss, Smack... at least it was not your fault and you could not have done anything to prevent it...
Old 02-28-2013

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

That sucks . . . but . . .lots of options out there with the economy and recent storms . . . you'll be back in the saddle in no time . . .
Old 02-28-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I'm stunned. I have no words right now except I'm sorry. Your loss is real, boats are people too.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 02-28-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks fellas. It's been quite a shock for sure.

We only had liability on her. I thought the same as you Minne on the potential partial liability for the marina. We'll see where things turn out with the insurance. In the end - at least no one was hurt. And with that much carnage to the docks and that many boats - I don't feel like there was anything more I could have done. It was what it was.

Also, I'd been losing interest in the lake sailing anyway (especially with the shrinking lake) and had been thinking of moving on to an ocean boat to keep on the coast. So, that opportunity is now here. And I'm excited about it.

We'll continue to sail "Fiasco" on the lake - and will still have plenty of sailing fun.

So, it's all good. It's just that, after 5 years of sailing her, I found out I had much more of a tie to that crappy old boat than I thought. She was pretty damn cool.

(PS - I'm going to mount the cleat on a plaque with an inscription extolling the many adventures of the S/V Smacktanic. I'll post photos when it's done.)
krisscross likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-28-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

First, very sorry for your loss. I holed my boat racing once and it tore me up. It was the one thing on the boat that was in good condition.

Second, I can't believe anyone would have a dock in 100' of water. 25' seems completely unreal. Most places on the bay are lucky to get 7'. If a boat sinks at a slip on the Ches bay, it's usually only a foot lower than when it's floating.

Third, now is a good time to upgrade to the Columbia 32 offshore boat.
Old 02-28-2013

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS. Oh so sorry to get that news Smackdaddy . Chance of salvage do you know a diver or local dive club ? Best of Luck Saddened for you hope you get back on the OGGIN soon . As Always GO SAFE
Old 02-28-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks flood. 100' is a pretty deep, cold dive with low visibility in this lake. I don't see salvage happening. Although I did have a bottle of rum in the ice box. So I might get motivated.

And zz, you're right about the depth. It's crazy. Down around Houston and Corpus you're only looking at 6-8 feet in the slip. Having several boats completely disappear under the slips was a little mind-blowing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40