Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Very sad Smack! O'l mother nature strikes again! She should be recoverable even if it is just for salvage and the rum. I just got my tanks pressure checked. When do we start?

You know your invitation to sail downeast is a lifetime one! Right?

Keep smiling.

Down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Heh-heh. Thanks Down. It actually would be a fun dive. Just dark and cold, I think. I did a lot of diving when I lived in the Solomon Islands. As you can imagine - the wrecks were incredible in Iron Bottom Sound. The deepest I ever went was 45 meters, and got a bit narced on the way down. But the visibility was awesome and the water was nice and warm. 30 meters in this lake would be a whole other thing.

Thanks for invite dude. I appreciate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-01-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

I did my advanced open water class on travis and went to 110 feet for our deep dive. It was pretty surreal down there. Your rum will definitely be chilled.

The instructor had us try to do simple math problem while we were down there on a slate. Simple problems like 27 + 62. I am a math boy, but in the 60 seconds he gave us I could not do a single one. He point was "you are stupid at that depth". Good lesson I will never forget.

He was a great instructor.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

Old 03-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I did my advanced open water class on travis and went to 110 feet for our deep dive. It was pretty surreal down there. Your rum will definitely be chilled.

The instructor had us try to do simple math problem while we were down there on a slate. Simple problems like 27 + 62. I am a math boy, but in the 60 seconds he gave us I could not do a single one. He point was "you are stupid at that depth". Good lesson I will never forget.

He was a great instructor.
Dude, I'm stupid up here! What's the visibility that deep?

Old 03-01-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

It is actually pretty clear down there. I think because there is no oxygen. It is pitch black, but with the flashlight you can see at least 20 feet IIRC.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

Old 03-01-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

I have been that deep with lights and it is not a picnic. If you have a confirmed location and just need to attach a cable it wouldn't be a big deal. If you have to spend time at depth looking for the boat that is a different dive. A good sonar should be able to "see" your boat. Good luck.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 03-01-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Smack, Iím really sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Smacktanic. If there is any consolation, without breast cleats on the dock or mid-ship cleats on your boat, there was nothing that really could be done for your boat (or everybody elseís for that matter) in those tight slips and exposure. I hope your liability insurance will cover the claims from the Marina and the governing entity of Canyon Lake. If it is any consolation, you are welcome on-board Freya anytime if your travels ever take you to the San Francisco Bay area. (The Americaís Cup 72ís are a sight to behold even on practice days.) And, lilí Freya will be down in Mexico/SOC in 2016 (just saying).
Old 03-01-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Aint worth diving unless there is something really worth going after. My deepest dive is 150' at Forty Fathom Grotto in Florida. Did it as a divemaster candidate with the instructor. Found a nice wrist mounted compass on the mound at the bottom. Definitely narced and loopy. Long time to come back up, lots of just hanging out breathing.

Guess I'm saying that it all depends on the rum. How 'bout it Smack, is that bottle a really good one?
Old 03-01-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Smack, Iím really sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Smacktanic. If there is any consolation, without breast cleats on the dock or mid-ship cleats on your boat, there was nothing that really could be done for your boat (or everybody elseís for that matter) in those tight slips and exposure. I hope your liability insurance will cover the claims from the Marina and the governing entity of Canyon Lake. If it is any consolation, you are welcome on-board Freya anytime if your travels ever take you to the San Francisco Bay area. (The Americaís Cup 72ís are a sight to behold even on practice days.) And, lilí Freya will be down in Mexico/SOC in 2016 (just saying).
Thanks George. That means a lot coming from you. After seeing the destruction down there I was pretty comfortable that there was very little that could have been done differently prior to the windstorm (which was WAY more violent than had been predicted). But - there's always that nagging feeling.

My guess for why we went to the bottom when some of the other Catalinas didn't is the outboard well. With the angle of the wind, those waves would have been slamming almost directly into her stern. And since she was pinned in the slip the force and volume of the water would have been huge. So my guess is that the water pushed up through the opening in the transom, up through the lazarette, and into the cockpit filling it and leaking down into the cabin. Then, with the water pouring in at the bow from the shorn-off stem it just got worse and worse as the boat hobby-horsed - heavy both forward and aft. Again - just a guess.

Anyway I really appreciate yours and everyone else's invites to sail. It's pretty damn cool knowing people have your back.

Old 03-01-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Aint worth diving unless there is something really worth going after. My deepest dive is 150' at Forty Fathom Grotto in Florida. Did it as a divemaster candidate with the instructor. Found a nice wrist mounted compass on the mound at the bottom. Definitely narced and loopy. Long time to come back up, lots of just hanging out breathing.

Guess I'm saying that it all depends on the rum. How 'bout it Smack, is that bottle a really good one?
No way! I think it was Sailor Jerry's or something.

I will admit that I did dampen the shock that evening with a double scotch:

RainDog likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.