Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Knife- Always in your outter most layer of clothes.

Not to discount Georges story because it sounds like one hell of a ride, but it does kinda prove the fact that sailing with more caution would have gotten them home faster (and safer) than letting it all hang out. Great story none the less.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
George - while removing the myriad tongue sticks from your tale (which I thought just added extra color) - you accidentally removed a good chunk of the story including the "maudlin" segue which was critical IMO. Anyway, still awesome.

As for me, I just ordered a fine cutlass for my upcoming spin trip. I figure if a knife will do - a sword's even better - and easier to get to - and makes you look just a bit more insane.

T - dude, it was a race. Lighten up. Can you get any more wet-blanketier? You may be better off starting an SMS thread (safe mellow sails) if this one causes you ill health. I mean, you're definitely always welcome, but ya gotta go with it baby! I'm just concerned about you. Find something in the story to build on and give some good advice (like the knife thing) then stop typing and take some deep breaths.
Old 10-02-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
smacky- The fact that it was a race exactly makes my point. In a race the point is to get from A to B as fast as possible, not get from A to B while heeling the most. A perfect example of a sailor trying to have a big day and trying so hard that it cost them. (A perfectly good spin at the least.) Great tale and a wild ride that would have been a blast. A blast that would have required a few changes of shorts, but a blast.
Old 10-02-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Great tale and a wild ride that would have been a blast. A blast that would have required a few changes of shorts, but a blast.
There - you got it!

Now I've been hounding you for weeks and, you might have noticed, am somewhat persistent...throw one down T! I know you have some good stuff. That T34 is too cool of a boat to not have some BFS under her keel!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-02-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-02-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
On my safty gear/PFD list is to have attached to all our harnesses a strobe, Whistle and one of these..

From Gerber for 38.00 ...can even be hung upside down for a quick jerk release. (that means even I can do it )

This one has a blunt tip for added safty during high stress rescue type moments but can be had with pointed tip as well...3" blade is serrated on one side straight edge on other. SS and polymer construction.

Sold at any good river rafting store
Attached Thumbnails
Big Freakin' Sails-gerber-river-knife.jpg  

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-02-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2008
Last Man Standing

Still - nice knife. But I have to step in here and tell you to use it to cut yourself some slack, dude. You're not a quick jerk, my friend.
Old 10-02-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Even those of us who have sailed for decades have a point at which the hair on the back of our necks stand up and we begin to think that we may have overdone things a bit. The difference between more experienced sailors and newbies is that we have a few more tricks in our repetoir and we also have a better sense of how close we can get to the edge before we fall off, which may also mean that we get closer to the edge and so may actually get slammed more frequently than a sensible newcomer.

No matter how long we have sailed there is always a learning period everytime we get on a boat that is new to us. I typically try to ramp up slowly, sailing the boat in increasingly heavy conditions, pushing the boat into every higher heel angles to learn at what point the rudder stalls and what the sail plan looks like in high winds upwind vs reaching vs down. I look at how hard it is to reef or furl in a strong breeze and get s sense of how long it takes since there are times when shelter is near that pushing the boat to the last possible moment may mean the difference between no serious drama and getting your head handed to you. It is the step by step experimentation that teaches you how the boat behaves so that there isn't a problem going out on those days when the 'sensible and cautious' say things like "Your a better man than I to go out there on a day like today".

Jeff
Old 10-02-2008
Last Man Standing

Gulp. Jeff? Aren't you like....THE Jeff?

Man, I kind of feel like Moses looking at the tablets here. Thanks for the post - the great advice - and the rolling black clouds and thunder.

Seriously - thanks.

BTW - If Jeff says it..."So let it be written. So let it be done." (Wait, does this make me Yul Brynner? I'm getting all flustered here.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-02-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
On knives - I have a dive knife which is pretty good. Has serrated and straight edges. Also has heavy duty scissors. And is stainless as hell. Designed to cut through whatever crap grabbed you on the bottom before you run out of air. Made to be easy to handle underwater so is easier than most to deal with if you are in a bad situation.
Old 10-02-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Giu - thanks for the vid. Not a lot of screen time for the giant - but it does look pretty. I think my favorite part was at the very end when Fred said in Portugese: "Dad, tell this fat guy with the camera in front of me to sit the hell down! Can't he see I'm trying to sail here?" Like it.

Oh yeah, and per your videos, I'm having an extra tiller installed in my C27. I'll be throwing down some speed then brother!
BTW smacky, that was me behind the other wheel, Becky in orange to the front and my admiral MMR sitting next to me. Alex was of course minding the sheet and Lead head was behind the camera.