Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
What's really funny is that the boys have punked all the other kids in our neighborhood - telling them it's an "exotic Australian food". They all had the same look on their faces.
*laugh* That's a similar line we pull on all the US missionaries that come to our door. Being eager to ingratiate themselves, they always have some... and always regret it. The trick is to let them spread it on the toast themselves

Quote:
Robert Perry is now hated by an entire enclave of children.
What's new?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Your little daughter is way more manly than we are.

Where are the write-up for your sails dude? I'd love to see what you guys are doing.
Alas, not much doing at the moment. We are back in Sydney and the boat is in refit mode. Doing a bit of sailing around Sydney still and helping with a few deliveries.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Smack Boys Have a New Yacht:

Smack Yacht : 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Stay tuned for the good, the bad, and the gorgeous.

Booyah!!!
Congrats, Steve! We just got back from the Bahamas 2 weeks ago, and are moving north so haven't been keeping up. I'm really happy for you and your boys. I hope we meet up again in the future! You guys take care on the water and have a blast!

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/

Ralph
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by RTB; 07-12-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Hey Ralph! Yeah, I've been following your blog. Looks like you guys are having a blast!

I'm very close to where you guys had your boat (just a few slips away). So definitely look me up if/when you get back to the Kemah area. The beers and BFS Boozies are definitely on me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-13-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda missing Kemah right now. This Florida weather is sucking pretty bad.

I don't miss your drive to the boat. We did the drive from San Antonio to Kemah for 3 1/2 years, pretty much every other weekend. The payoff was getting to the boat and the Kemah area is awesome.

Maybe we'll get back there eventually, and will look you up!

Ralph
Old 07-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Okay - when I actually read that you'd rather be in Kemah than Florida - I KNOW you're homesick! The drive does kind of suck. I'll probably move the boat to Corpus in a year or so - but right now, it works for us.

Come one across brother! You guys can teach me and the boys a hell of a lot!

Old 07-25-2013
Last Man Standing

NewportNewbie just pulled down a sweet, FAST BFS! Go the Newp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
Ok. So I did the Catalina turnaround in one day.

Got to the boat at 5am. Preped it and reached the harbor entrance at 6am.

Attachment 15017

Motored over to Catalina. The boat cruised at 6.5 knots. Did the trip to Long point in 5 hours. Not bad. I think it's 28 miles from Newport Harbor to long point. On the way i saw more dolphins than i have ever seen at one time. They swam all around and under the boat. Jumping out of the water and swimming in the boat wake. Picked up a mooring there and swam, napped, and ate lunch there. Long point was an amazing place. Quiet, isolated, peaceful and gorgeous. It looked like a secluded Greek island. Amazing.
Attachment 15014
Attachment 15015
Attachment 15016

At 3pm we left Long point. We had about 12-14 knots I wind. Sea state was choppy 4 foot waves with whitecaps. Raised the main and unfurled the jib and we were off! I had my buddy checking speed and in GPS we instantly were at 8.5 knots. He had a garmin handheld, I had my iPhone and we had compasses and charts on board. Checking them all. His gps gave him instant speed data. My iPhone app shows am speed over a 2 minute period. We spent time trying to see how fast we could get the boat up to. On his gps that was 11.3 knots. On mine which is averaged over 2 minutes it was 10.5 knots. Not bad for a old IOR designed 30 footer!!! We sailed the entire way back pretty much on one reach. Total sail time for the return trip was 4 hours and 15 minutes. We would have been under 4 hours I the wind didn't die down the last 10 miles. Still for 28 miles that's an average of 8 knots. The last hour we were down in the 4s.

Yes it was a long day BUT it was a great day. No one was hurt. Boat wasn't damaged and lots of smiles.

Old 07-26-2013
Last Man Standing

I love this time of year...when sailors start pulling down the big ones.

Another prime BFS from our own Tommays:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Well we did some great sailing this week with only one day of needing the motor which is the best week of sailing luck i have ever had

It became apparent the weather was going to be crap on 7/25 and 7/26

As the crap weather and perfect timing of the flood tide home was setting up a sail home that may never be topped we went with it as 70 miles is a long day

We left Greenport at 6 am and had a nasty ride out to plum gut and after turning west the sled ride begin and the boat would just not go slower than 8 knots with regular surges to 12 knots and a peak speed of 13.2 knots

In a fair bit of great luck we on the mooring in Northport at 4:30 PM

That, my friends, is speed.

Old 07-28-2013
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

Smack, just got back from delivering a boat from the Sacramento river delta to Bellingham through a gale South of Cape Blanco. Unfortunately, it was a motor yacht so I won't post up the trip and vids here.

Old 07-28-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Smack, just got back from delivering a boat from the Sacramento river delta to Bellingham through a gale South of Cape Blanco. Unfortunately, it was a motor yacht so I won't post up the trip and vids here.
Dude, you're a Hall of Fame BFSer - you can post whatever you want in this thread. I'd love to see them!