Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Impressive dude. Impressive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2013
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Ocean Alexander 50 delivery

We drove down to Pittsburg, CA on the Sacramento river delta to get the boat.

After spending a day prepping, we rolled out on the tail end of a flood so we could catch the ebb through the Gate. Lot's of heavy traffic in the area and big bridges.

and

We got to San Fran after dark and shot the Gate on the ebb. A bit of a rough ride past the Onion Patch.

The trip was pretty uneventful until we got up by Cape Mendecino about sixty miles offshore where we hit 8-12 foot seas on the Port bow all the way to Cape Blanco.

South of Cape Blanco we hit a building Gale with some sets up to 15-20, always a crappy thing when you're going to windward.

This video is as we were running out of the Gale after about twelve hours of it.

This one is later.

Later, off the Oregon coast shortly after dawn.

We stopped for fuel twice, once in Bandon OR and once at Westport, WA.. We lost the Port engine off Cape Flattery when the raw water pump locked up and finished the trip on one engine in the fog surrounded by 20 knots ships blowing by virtually unseen. While radar is useful, it doesn't help when the boat is slewing around in a following, quartering sea leaving smears of tracks all over the screen.

Here's another vid.

Back in home waters:

Ah, life aboard a boat five days up the West Coast. I can think of worse ways to spend a week.

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 07-30-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Videos are all broken for me. When I click play, the player gives a "Video Not Found" error.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 07-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude, you're a Hall of Fame BFSer - you can post whatever you want in this thread. I'd love to see them!
I agree with the sentiment toward CC, he's a legend. But, a stinkpot getting a BFS? That's brand dilution. Bad idea. CC tried to warn you.

And you owe me a laptop. I vomit all over mine when I saw that enormous downrigged, flybridged, chlorox bottle pop up on my screen. CC has probably been commissioned to install a stripper pole.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-30-2013
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Videos are all broken for me. When I click play, the player gives a "Video Not Found" error.
Hmm, will have to put them on youtube and repost.

Old 07-30-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I agree with the sentiment toward CC, he's a legend. But, a stinkpot getting a BFS? That's brand dilution. Bad idea. CC tried to warn you.

And you owe me a laptop. I vomit all over mine when I saw that enormous downrigged, flybridged, chlorox bottle pop up on my screen. CC has probably been commissioned to install a stripper pole.
Who said the mighty BFS brand sanctioned it? There has been no coveted BFS-certified stamp of approval, my friend.

I just love stories of being on a boat at sea - especially if there's a gale involved.

That said, that is one Big Freakin' Stinkpot.
MedSailor and Minnewaska like this.

Old 07-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I feel better.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-30-2013
Last Man Standing

Good. Anyway, that's why I prefer sailboats...stripper poles come standard.

Have I posted a pic of my new auto-inflate pasties?

Old 07-30-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Hmm, will have to put them on youtube and repost.
It's just something screwed up in your links CC. Here's all the photos and vids:

Ocean Alexander 50 Delivery Photos by CharlieCobra03 | Photobucket

Old 07-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Good. Anyway, that's why I prefer sailboats...stripper poles come standard.

Have I posted a pic of my new auto-inflate pasties?
You know, you're right. I have one on each side of the salon. Misread as hand holds. It's the Brazilian women's beach volleyball players that are not standard. If stinkpots came with those, I'd be listening.

https://www.facebook.com/Brazil.Wome...olleyball.Team
smackdaddy likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS