Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Hey Chall! It was actually 10-12 for the most part. When the front edge of that squall in the background started moving in we might have gotten to 15 or a bit over, but I took us in before it really got on us. With this being our first sail on her I didn't want to push it. There will be plenty of time for that.

That said, we got 7.4 knots SOG in about 12 knots of wind. And she sails so smoothly - it's really awesome. I love this boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Here's the next installment of "The Smack Boys and Their Yacht":

The Inspection and Survey

So, I've walked you through how we got to Hunter, what our budget was...and the logic behind it. I also walked you through the offer, and the haggling, with me and the seller settling on a price of $46K against a $55K asking price. We entered into a contract at that point, and I started looking for a surveyor.

But hold up, there was one important step prior to the contract...or even the offer. And that was The Inspection...

MORE
chall03 and AlaskaMC like this.

Old 09-30-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Again great writeup Smack.

Agree completely with you about blisters.

The Following User Says Thank You to chall03 For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road

Jan de Groot is based out of Vancouver; and I knew him when I worked as a broker. He really thought that blisters were overrated.

We knew our boat has blisters when we bought it. Our surveyor didn't feel there was a problem and thought repair money would be better spent on boat toys. Happy to oblige him!

Nice boat, Smack!
chall03 likes this.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
The Following User Says Thank You to sailjunkie For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013
Last Man Standing

Thanks fellas.

Old 10-01-2013

weinie is on a distinguished road

Awesome post... Can't wait to read about the cash Vesuvius!
The Following User Says Thank You to weinie For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Hey Smack,
Great post, thanks for walking us through more of your journey in acquiring the yacht. Seems to me you were successful in the end because you knew what you wanted, were persistent, knew what to look for (and look out for) and had realistic expectations.

In reading the boat buying threads on SN, some potential buyers have no real idea of what they want in a boat and what will make them happy. No real way to get around looking at a lot of boats in that case. (Sailing lots helps too.) Other potential buyers, however, come across as having unrealistic expectations. They want to find a cheap, old boat in pristine, NIB condition. Those boats may exist, but I'm guessing they are rare as hens teeth. Used boats are....well, used! Need to avoid the abused boats, the overpriced boats, and the worn out boats (especially in this market). But any used boat will have some, shall we say "patina"? You found a great boat for a great price, even though it was not in perfect shape. I'd say your post helps the wannabe boat owners out there understand that fact.

Anyway, I really like your yacht. Ya done good. Hope you and the smack boys have many adventures and a create lifetime of memories.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiminri For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminri View Post
Hey Smack,
Great post, thanks for walking us through more of your journey in acquiring the yacht. Seems to me you were successful in the end because you knew what you wanted, were persistent, knew what to look for (and look out for) and had realistic expectations.

In reading the boat buying threads on SN, some potential buyers have no real idea of what they want in a boat and what will make them happy. No real way to get around looking at a lot of boats in that case. (Sailing lots helps too.) Other potential buyers, however, come across as having unrealistic expectations. They want to find a cheap, old boat in pristine, NIB condition. Those boats may exist, but I'm guessing they are rare as hens teeth. Used boats are....well, used! Need to avoid the abused boats, the overpriced boats, and the worn out boats (especially in this market). But any used boat will have some, shall we say "patina"? You found a great boat for a great price, even though it was not in perfect shape. I'd say your post helps the wannabe boat owners out there understand that fact.

Anyway, I really like your yacht. Ya done good. Hope you and the smack boys have many adventures and a create lifetime of memories.
Thanks Jimi. I think you nailed it. I didn't need perfection...I just needed the boat I wanted in the best shape and for the best price I could find it.

I really do hope this blog helps those potential buyers know better how to go about this. There's still lots to come in terms of the improving, fixing, paying, and paying, and paying, etc.

BUT, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE BIG FREAKIN' SALING PART!!!!!

Old 10-01-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
BUT, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE BIG FREAKIN' SALING PART!!!!!
Speaking of, any big plans?

I bet your boys are stoked :-)
Old 10-01-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedboy View Post
Speaking of, any big plans?

I bet your boys are stoked :-)
Well, yeah...I'll go ahead and let the monkey out of the suitcase...

Our goal is to, over the next 4 years (primarily the summers), progressively sail the boat down to the British Virgin Islands.

I'll start a new thread on this soon to get some help planning it - but our first big jump will be sometime next summer. We'll sail across the Gulf to Tampa. We'll leave the boat there and fly back and forth for a season of cruises around the FLA area...then we'll start moving her south at a very relaxed pace each season, continuing to leave the boat in each place.

Once we get down to the BVIs, my oldest will be nearing college-age, so we'll all decide what to do next. Maybe up the East Coast. Maybe somewhere else. Who knows?

That's our BFS...God-willing. And we can't wait.
chall03 and Minnewaska like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-01-2013 at 09:56 PM.