Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Our goal is to, over the next 4 years (primarily the summers), progressively sail the boat down to the British Virgin Islands.
Wow. Frikken awesome.

When I first got the old boat, now 3 summers ago (and in part on your rec's on sailing with little kids) my goal was to sail to Georgina Island with the kids, tie up for the night and stay in one of the cottages. It's no more than 4 miles.

I made it over there once or twice sailing with my (HS or college-age) students, never with the kids :-) their sailing attention span is maybe 45 minutes, after that they want to anchor and jump in, or drive the boat in circles, or ... oh well.

New goal: Cyprus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

That sounds like an amazing adventure, and one I'm sure they will look back on for the rest of their lives. What an awesome way to bond with them! Thanks for letting us be part of it, too, even if it is vicarious.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-01-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Well, yeah...I'll go ahead and let the monkey out of the suitcase...

Our goal is to, over the next 4 years (primarily the summers), progressively sail the boat down to the British Virgin Islands.

I'll start a new thread on this soon to get some help planning it - but our first big jump will be sometime next summer. We'll sail across the Gulf to Tampa. We'll leave the boat there and fly back and forth for a season of cruises around the FLA area...then we'll start moving her south at a very relaxed pace each season, continuing to leave the boat in each place.

Once we get down to the BVIs, my oldest will be nearing college-age, so we'll all decide what to do next. Maybe up the East Cost. Maybe somewhere else. Who knows?

That's our BFS...God-willing. And we can't wait.

Smacktastic. Both the write up and the plan. You go boy(s).
The Following User Says Thank You to mstern For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013

Martinjf is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Freakin' Sails - Thanks for your write up.

I started sailing many years ago in dinghies, did a lot of round the cans racing in dinghies, various IOR boats and some cruisers; I even mixed in a bit of offshore work. I owned and sailed a C30 for 5 years on Long Island Sound and have chartered a few times. I am now at a point in my life when I want to get back into sailing and have been wondering what kind of boat to buy. I have to admit that when I owned the C30 I always lusted after a Pacific Seacraft 37 and for that intangible feeling that it could take me anywhere anytime.

As part of the buy a boat exercise I have been reading the forums and doing some sailing. I started out by looking at various bluewater boats but have been gradually coming to the conclusion that I can do all the sailing I want in a larger, newer production boat.

Your well written stories reinforced my evolving view, thanks for your non-chucklehead approach, great reading keep it up.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-01-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjf View Post
I always lusted after a...for that intangible feeling that it could take me anywhere anytime.
And there you have it. This is way we don't rent boats and suffer all the $$$s to own a boat.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjf View Post
I started sailing many years ago in dinghies, did a lot of round the cans racing in dinghies, various IOR boats and some cruisers; I even mixed in a bit of offshore work. I owned and sailed a C30 for 5 years on Long Island Sound and have chartered a few times. I am now at a point in my life when I want to get back into sailing and have been wondering what kind of boat to buy. I have to admit that when I owned the C30 I always lusted after a Pacific Seacraft 37 and for that intangible feeling that it could take me anywhere anytime.

As part of the buy a boat exercise I have been reading the forums and doing some sailing. I started out by looking at various bluewater boats but have been gradually coming to the conclusion that I can do all the sailing I want in a larger, newer production boat.

Your well written stories reinforced my evolving view, thanks for your non-chucklehead approach, great reading keep it up.
Thanks dude. That's really great to hear. You sound a lot like me in terms of your sailing background. And YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about "that feeling". Just going from a lake to the ocean in our new H40 - and that feeling that we can, literally, go anywhere in the world once we clear the jetties is AN AMAZING feeling. We can't wait.

BTW - I did an offshore race in a Pacific Seacraft 37.

HERE

Great boat that took off on a circ right after the race. The owner was out for almost 2 years - went everywhere. So, yeah, it's a go anywhere boat. But I still like my H40 more. We'll see where she takes us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-01-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

An AWESOME BFS by BarryL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

As some of you know, I purchased a 2002 C&C 110. The boat was in Mystic CT, I am in Mt. Sinai, NY. Today was the day to sail the boat the 55nm back home.

I've been following the weather forecast all week and each day was roughly the same: NE wind 15-20. This is good for me because the trip is SW. On Thursday the Saturday forecast was for 10-15 from the NE. On Friday the Saturday forecast was for more wind, 10-15 with gusts up to 20. Then, this morning, the forecast changed again: small craft advisories, winds 15-20 with gusts up to 30. Oh boy, it's going to be a spirited sail.

We (my wife and my two younger kids: daughter 16 and son 12) backed out of the slip around 9:30 and motored down the long channel and into Fishers Island Sound. In the sound I unrolled the headsail and we motor sailed towards home. The weather was pretty nice, temperature in the lwo to mid 60's, clearing sky with sun coming out, and oh yeah, lots of wind.

With the headsail up we motor sailed at around 7 kts. Since this was a delivery and not a pleasure sail I wanted to get home as quickly as possible. With the engine at cruising speed and the sail up we moved smoothly and quickly through the water. The wind continued to build and whitecaps were everywhere.

Around noon I put the engine in neutral and noticed the speed didn't drop at all. So I shut the engine down and enjoyed the silence. Now, out in the wide open Long Island Sound the waves started to build. Since we were still down almost dead down wind, the waves allowed the boat to surf. I expected this boat to be fast, but I had no idea how fast. With 15 kts apparent wind we were sailing at 7-8 kts and surfing down waves at 8-9 kts. When the wind went up the speeds did too: We were sailing at over 10 kts consistently. On my O'day 35, the highest speed I ever saw was 10.1 kts, motorsailing with big following seas. The C&C was hitting 10.5, then 11, then 11.5, then 12.

As the day went on the wind just continued to increase. We would be sailing at 10 kts and see 20-25 kts apparent wind on the wind gauge. The true wind had to be over 30 kts. The waves were getting bigger and closer together. Surfing down them I saw 13 kts and then the highest I could every imagine: 14.6 kts! In a 36' sailboat. And the entire time the boat was easy to steer and quite manageable.

I was very impressed with how the boat handled the rough weather and the speed and ease at which we sailed. We arrived at Mt. Sinai before 5:00 just as the wind was at the peak. Furling the headsail was a challenge, especially with a new boat, but we managed.

The boat needs a good cleaning and some upgrades. I am looking forward to a lot of fun sailing and adding gear as I get more money.

Some shots from the trip are included, including the last 12 hours of weather from the Central Long Island sound weather buoy.

Barry

Old 10-24-2013
Last Man Standing

Well, the boys and I are doing a 150-mile offshore delivery starting tomorrow evening (the skipper I usually crew for and his boat). Winds look good in our area of the Gulf. 15+ on a nice beam reach all the way back to Galveston.

Stay tuned.

Old 10-25-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Have fun you guys!

Everybody has one:

Old 10-25-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Just noted a funny statistic.
Not to be sadistic.

Smackdaddy: 11,000+ posts

Calebd: 4,000+ posts

Rep power is meaningless as we have seen with Brenda.

You are still the Smackdaddy.
;-!)

Everybody has one:

The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
smackdaddy (10-25-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.