Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

We all used Bonine. My dad's a pharmacist and recommended it. It's been great in the past. This time - not so much. We also tried the wrist bands later, but they didn't really do anything for them.

About 30 minutes outside the jetties in the big swells (we were beating into them), I was trying to keep the boys interested in the ships, etc. BigSmack went first - he's the most susceptible to motion sickness. LilSmack followed him to the rail about 5 minutes later. Then I started in right after them. It was the first time I've ever been sick. So I'm not sure if it was sympathy hurling or what.

After a couple of hours and one more trip to the rail, I was fine. But it took LilSmack 8 hours to get his sealegs - and 20 hours for BigSmack (poor dude).

Even so, they never complained, never asked to go back, nothing. They just powered through it. Then they brightened right up and started having fun after it passed. I was so proud of them. Tough little dudes.
ottos and benesailor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-04-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Sweet memory. Awesome passage. Thanks for sharing Smacky

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-05-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

I use Bonine too, but the best remedy for seasickness that I have come across is the Relief Band. This isn't the accupressure or massage type wrist band, but a gizmo that emits electrical pulses to the underside of the wrist. You have to use some of that electro-conductive gel to make it work. The device was originally developed for chemo patients and is FDA-approved. Please note that last bit: unlike the accupressure bands, this device went through the entire government rigamarole to have double-blind testing done. But I think the best evidence that it works is that the Relief Band was covered by insurance companies as a necessary treatment for chemo patients. Yup.

Unlike every treatment except the anti-emetic perscription drugs (scopaline) and the OTC drugs such as dramamine and bonine, the Relief Band can actually claim in its advertising to work. And as far as I know, it is the only treatment that can work even after the nausea has started (try that with bonine).

My son had proven to be susceptable to motion sickness, so when he was going on a cruise with a friend's family, I bought one for him. He wound up never using it. However, one night my wife awoke, severly nauseous. I put the Relief Band on her wrist, adjusted it, and she said the sickness went away completely within 15 seconds. We both were amazed. I gave the Band to my sister in law a couple of years later while she was going through chemo, but I don't think she ever used it.

I heard that the manufacturer had stopped producing the units because one of the subcomponents was no longer available. I remember getting emails from the vendor where I purchased my unit, telling me that if I wanted one, I'd better hurry because they may become scarce. I later read that the manufacturer was still making the units, but that they had cut down the number of models produced (they had a "disposable" model, one where you could replace the battery, and I think a third kind). I just did a quick search, but didn't see and real "Relief Bands" for sale. I saw some electric wrist devices that massage the accupressure points, but nothing that gives the little zaps of electricity like the Relief Band. But it was a quick search, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone else picked up the baton or if some older units are available out there. Definitely worth it.
Old 11-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

You know one thing that this trip made me realize is that if you are susceptible, you need to be on the boat long enough to get your sealegs and get over it. I think most people who just go out for a day-sail, island hop, etc. likely never get their sealegs and so they only associate sailing with sickness...nothing more. I understand that some may take a very long time, and a very few might never get over it, but if you don't get through it you don't know that it's possible.

Now that both boys have done that, I think they've overcome a huge mental hurdle. They know that even if they get sick it will pass. And that makes the scramble of trying coming up with some kind of remedy a little less desperate.

We were in the perfect seasickness conditions...beating into big swells with choppy, tightly packed wind-waves. And this wasn't going to change for another 12-15 hours. So you do what you gotta do.

Now, about that "motion comfort of blue-water boats" debate...

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-05-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-05-2013

Couldn't agree more Smack. About the worst hour and half of my life was on the Catalina Island ferry about 20 years ago. I took dramamine about ten minutes before we left, but the water was tremendously choppy from a storm the night before and it wasn't ten minutes after leaving the breakwater that I felt sick. I lost track of how many times I heaved. When we finally got to Avalon, I immediately made my wife book a helicopter ride back. It took about two hours for me to feel even remotely human again. And when we went to board the chopper for the ride back, I recognized many people from the ferry who were trying to get a flight back! Like they say, there are two stages to seasickness: stage 1 is that you feel so bad you're afraid you are going to die; stage 2 is you are afraid you won't.
Old 11-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
We all used Bonine. My dad's a pharmacist and recommended it. It's been great in the past. This time - not so much. We also tried the wrist bands later, but they didn't really do anything for them.

About 30 minutes outside the jetties in the big swells (we were beating into them), I was trying to keep the boys interested in the ships, etc. BigSmack went first - he's the most susceptible to motion sickness. LilSmack followed him to the rail about 5 minutes later. Then I started in right after them. It was the first time I've ever been sick. So I'm not sure if it was sympathy hurling or what.

After a couple of hours and one more trip to the rail, I was fine. But it took LilSmack 8 hours to get his sealegs - and 20 hours for BigSmack (poor dude).

Even so, they never complained, never asked to go back, nothing. They just powered through it. Then they brightened right up and started having fun after it passed. I was so proud of them. Tough little dudes.
Nice family. As I have said in another post I am very lucky and I don't get seasick but my family does, specially in more demanding circumstances and I have a long experience to try to find something that can make them not suffer while I am having fun. That's a very awkward situation and I don't feel good with that.

The best I could find was this thing:

ReliefBand for Motion Sickness

It worked on my kids, not so well with my wife, not because it did nor work but because he had a skin allergy to it.

Neurowave Medical Technologies ReliefBand Motion Sickness Control Reviews | Buzzillions.com

There are other models available:

COMFORT QUEST Anti-Seasickness Band at West Marine

5 years after being bought it still works and it is on the boat for guests with a seasikness problem.

Regards

Paulo

Old 11-06-2013

That's it Paulo! Good to know they're still on the market and that others are making similar devices. I see that the West Marine version doesn't require the gel to be effective. Nice.
Old 11-06-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Smackdaddy, YEA!! Good stuff. Great video, great job with the safe passage. Just awesome.
Old 11-06-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I liked the way you mixed up the background music Steve: reggae, opera, rock.
No stone unturned.

Everybody has one:

Old 11-06-2013
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road

Hey Steve wonderful to see you guys out there together...thank you so much for sharing it with us!
ChrisCod