Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Okay - this chick is now officially my new hero:

She can do anything. Freakin' awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
abrahamx (03-15-2014)
Old 03-14-2014

finding41 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to finding41

If you haven't yet... Check out all of her YouTube videos in order. She goes through a few tough bits!
Old 03-14-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

oh yeah - she is cute...
followed all of her video blogs so far...
Old 03-14-2014

Tallswede is on a distinguished road

Yep, been watching her video blogs for awhile and she has hit a rough patch. It will be interesting to see what she decides to do. One thing is for sure, I admire her determination and whatever she decides to do, she's done more than most already.

Kevin
Old 03-14-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Note to self...... don't buy a $6k abandon moldy boat in Panama to sail around the world.

Something tells me that that the quality of the production and sponsors are a bit too professional for this. I have a funny feeling its just part of the drama of a good story and she'll recover and move on with the cruise. It's like a good soap opera. I am a subscriber now, so it's working!
Lou452 and capt vimes like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Lou452 (03-30-2014)
Old 03-14-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

OK, you guys got me hooked. I watched the whole series up to today's post. What a cutie! Also very determined, level-headed, and a quick study. However, she proved why you never buy a boat without a survey. It's too easy (and too late) to say "I told you so," so let's just hope she gets things right without running out of money.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-15-2014
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
OK, you guys got me hooked. I watched the whole series up to today's post. What a cutie! Also very determined, level-headed, and a quick study. However, she proved why you never buy a boat without a survey. It's too easy (and too late) to say "I told you so," so let's just hope she gets things right without running out of money.
+1.

I am addicted.

Now don't ruin it for me as I am only up to #13. I love her positive, glass half full, simple approach.

Ok back to youtube.

Old 03-15-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Something tells me that that the quality of the production and sponsors are a bit too professional for this. I have a funny feeling its just part of the drama of a good story and she'll recover and move on with the cruise. It's like a good soap opera. I am a subscriber now, so it's working!
My thoughts, as well... I've been following her from the start, love her attitude, and these clips are very well put together, and she's got a great eye...

However, I'm amazed at the amount of time she must be spending shooting and editing these, simply setting up the camera for so many 'selfie' views of everything she does must be consuming an incredible amount of time. They are invariably perfectly framed and composed, that's got to require a fair amount of re-takes and do-overs, unless there's someone else shooting much of this stuff that I'm not aware of... But to even grab a shot of her doing something as mundane as cooking something on her stove in the galley could require considerable time to set up...

I can't help thinking, she might already be thru the Canal, and staging for her voyage to the Marquesas, if it weren't for the amount of time she's spent making these videos...

I'm rooting for her bigtime, wish I had the money to give her a decent boat :-) You can bet it would be fiberglass, really a pity she didn't start out with any of the far more suitable boats to be found for cheap here in the States, that wouldn't require quite as much time and effort to get out there on...
Old 03-15-2014

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Damn it smack... as if I didn't have enough time-wasters sapping my plans to take over the world!

Subscribed, very cool find. Thanks
Old 03-15-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
My thoughts, as well... I've been following her from the start, love her attitude, and these clips are very well put together, and she's got a great eye...

However, I'm amazed at the amount of time she must be spending shooting and editing these, simply setting up the camera for so many 'selfie' views of everything she does must be consuming an incredible amount of time. They are invariably perfectly framed and composed, that's got to require a fair amount of re-takes and do-overs, unless there's someone else shooting much of this stuff that I'm not aware of... But to even grab a shot of her doing something as mundane as cooking something on her stove in the galley could require considerable time to set up...

I can't help thinking, she might already be thru the Canal, and staging for her voyage to the Marquesas, if it weren't for the amount of time she's spent making these videos...

I'm rooting for her bigtime, wish I had the money to give her a decent boat :-) You can bet it would be fiberglass, really a pity she didn't start out with any of the far more suitable boats to be found for cheap here in the States, that wouldn't require quite as much time and effort to get out there on...
I was thinking all those things too. But remember, she posts only about 4 minutes of footage every week. So even if she spends all day shooting footage, it's just one day a week. But the editing and music are very slickly done, and could take a whole day just to do that - unless she's sending out the raw footage to someone else who is editing them (and doing a VERY professional job).

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.