Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree268Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2014
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I was thinking all those things too. But remember, she posts only about 4 minutes of footage every week. So even if she spends all day shooting footage, it's just one day a week. But the editing and music are very slickly done, and could take a whole day just to do that - unless she's sending out the raw footage to someone else who is editing them (and doing a VERY professional job).
I agree that the quality of the videos is very good. It obviously is taking some time and effort.

BUT.........Ummmm how to I say this kindly to the denizens of Sailnet-I think there is a generational gap thing here as well.....it is not unrealistic at all to find under 30ish, creative, saavy people who with some prior experience with the medium can create videos of this calibre. It is a talent for sure, it does take some setting up, a few go pros mounted here and there, maybe she or the boyfriend has a background in this field somehow, someway, but I doub't there is more to it than that.

Either way it is a good story, well told.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2014

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

she sure would make me a good wife. Too bad I am happily married to a woman who says she will do anything more than a daysail.
Old 03-15-2014

aelkin is on a distinguished road

LOL...Chall...very delicately done...

You're right, of course.
I read in one of the comments after her video (about week 8, I think?) that she's using a GoPro Hero3 white, and a Canon Camcorder. A decent laptop (maybe especially an Apple product) with readily available off-the-web editing tools can create videos of this type and quality with only moderate time and effort for someone with experience. (not me, but others I know)

Smack - thanks for pointing this out...I watched half the series last night, and am fascinated!

Andy
Old 03-15-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm not suggesting the quality takes a movie crew. I'm saying the professionalism of the segments, combined with the sponsorship of Lee Sails and Boatoons.com, make me find it hard to believe they would have all signed up for a vid blog of a random nearly abandon boat in Panama.

I'm guessing they all knew exactly what they were getting into and the trials and tribulations were projected to make good drama. So, I may be saying the segments on "I may give up" could be staged a bit.

Anyway, I still find it very entertaining. Good on em.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-15-2014

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Thanks alot Smack. These videos are making my morning.
Old 03-15-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm not suggesting the quality takes a movie crew. I'm saying the professionalism of the segments, combined with the sponsorship of Lee Sails and Boatoons.com, make me find it hard to believe they would have all signed up for a vid blog of a random nearly abandon boat in Panama.

I'm guessing they all knew exactly what they were getting into and the trials and tribulations were projected to make good drama. So, I may be saying the segments on "I may give up" could be staged a bit.

Anyway, I still find it very entertaining. Good on em.
If you look at the timeline on Facebook, you'll see that the boat acquisition video that was posted on Youtube in late August actually had stills posted on Facebook in March (and may have actually happened even earlier than that). So at that point, there was actually a 5+ month lag between the events that occurred and the slick videos that were posted.

It makes me wonder how much raw or produced video was already "in the can" before it hit YouTube.

Corporate sponsors often want to know what they are getting into before signing on. "Near random" rarely gets funded. I suspect they went to the sponsors with footage in hand.

I realize that the tools for professional quality video editing are easily accessible. But I also realize that accessing audio loops and other resources is easy if you have high speed data connection, but not so sure that shoreline towns in Panama have that available. (Maybe some of the cruisers here can let us know.)

Purely speculation on my part, but I have a feeling that we are watching events that occurred many months ago, and they're dribbling them out on us in a methodical fashion to maximize the dramatic impact. Does Panama have any seasonal changes to their botany that might show up in the videos? It's still enjoyable to see the videos, but their professionalism makes them look sort of like reality TV.

I think Nike's background is brand management and social media marketing. So it would appear that she knows what she's doing with that part of the venture.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-15-2014

mstern is on a distinguished road

She's clearly not alone on the boat, at least when some of those shots are taken. The camera moves to follow her, so unless she has some very sophisticated automated equipment, there's a cameraman aboard. And I echo the thoughts of the others who suspect that there's a lot of professional help involved here; that or she's unusually adept at video editing and has the necessary software and equipment aboard to do it herself.

All that being said, I'm hooked too.
Old 03-16-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
She's clearly not alone on the boat, at least when some of those shots are taken. The camera moves to follow her, so unless she has some very sophisticated automated equipment, there's a cameraman aboard. And I echo the thoughts of the others who suspect that there's a lot of professional help involved here; that or she's unusually adept at video editing and has the necessary software and equipment aboard to do it herself.

All that being said, I'm hooked too.
Some videos were done with her boyfriend or sister holding the cameras, or with cruising partners that were mentioned in the chronology. Some others were selfies, or staged with the camera sitting or mounted. I have not noticed any videos that would have to be done by another person where she claimed to be alone. So I don't think that there's anything untrue or misleading about her statements so far, aside from the fact that some of the very first videos may have posted months after they happened.

On a separate subject, what is the additional boom shown angling down from her mast onto the foredeck? At first I thought it was a spin pole, but in some of the shots I see the spin pole mounted vertically on the mast in additional to this additional boom. Then I thought it might be a Hoyt boom, but it does not appear to be secured properly on the foredeck, and all of the sailing has been done with a typical genoa. So what is it?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-16-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Following for the past couple months or so. I enjoy seeing how she works through her issues with the boat. She's out there doing it so that alone is pretty awesome.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 03-16-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

She's amazingly handy with just about anything that's in front of her. And this, combined with her tenacity, is damn impressive.
chall03 likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40