Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
....Because it's a smart phone and it's submersible!.....
Cool phone for sure. The specs says its rated IP67. The 7 stands for water resistant to 1 meter. The photo of the snorkelor would seem a bit deceptive by the manufacturer.

In my personal experience, water tight ratings are only reliable to be about half their depth rating. Behind that was a crap shoot.

Nevertheless, great phone for a boat, where simply getting wet isn't an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Cool phone for sure. The specs says its rated IP67. The 7 stands for water resistant to 1 meter. The photo of the snorkelor would seem a bit deceptive by the manufacturer.

In my personal experience, water tight ratings are only reliable to be about half their depth rating. Behind that was a crap shoot.

Nevertheless, great phone for a boat, where simply getting wet isn't an issue.
Interesting, my experience says they're conservative. My pentax optio camera and samsung Xplorer B2100 are both devices that I take with me when swiming, surfing, falling overboard etc.

Having a waterproof phone could save having a dead one for those unexpected BFS's. This one didn't give us all a lot of warning and maybe some of the other folks wouldn't have put on their waterproof cases. I know I was suprized at just how soaked the phone was in my pocket when I pulled it out. I've had more than one "water resistant" device die from being in a damp bag as well.

Also, the phone has already paid for itself one other time. My 2 year old spilled an entire glass of milk onto it. Not exactly the kind of think that makes for an impressive story, but the phone lived!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-04-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Had a GREAT weekend at the boat! Spent Saturday working on several projects - including the water tank - which I'll write up in my "Million Questions" thread...then the boys and I took her out this morning for our very first time on our own (just me and the boys - no crew). Gusting to 25 knots - and she handled like a dream (video soon). And the boys were perfect helping to crew and helping when we got back to the dock.

For me, this is what happiness is all about. I can't wait to take her beyond the jetties for the first time this summer.

Woohoo!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-05-2014

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Awesome Smack.

Hey, Can I borrow the stamp for a sec????

There you go.
smackdaddy likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 05-05-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
For me, this is what happiness is all about. I can't wait to take her beyond the jetties for the first time this summer.

Woohoo!
Woohoo, is right Maybe it's the newness of it all, but I am filled with this joy, too, when I sail. I don't have any pictures, so here's just a synopsis from this past weekend. On Saturday, I was in the Singlehand Sailing Society's (SSS) 'Round the Rocks' race on San Francisco Bay. It was 19.2 nm starting near Berkeley; then around Alcatraz Island, Harding Rock and Angel Island; down wind to Red Rock and The Brothers; with the finish at Richmond Yacht Club. This was my 4th singlehand race. I was a minute late to the start with 9 boats in my division. Winds were gusting to 25 knots (consistent 18-20), with big chop and a strong ebb for the first half. Right around the Richmond Bridge, the wind died to 6 knots and we were fighting a strong flood, which does some squirrely things next to those big rocks. I stayed the night at the Richmond YC, then singlehanded back across the bay on Sunday, with winds again up to 23 knots, again no reef, keeping pace the whole way with a barge heading to Oakland. No instruments were on -- so had no idea how fast I was going -- just enjoying the moment. Stern tied into my slip. The only snafu was forgetting to open the gate to step off with the spring line. No foul though. It's such a great feeling!
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 06-05-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

We had an awesome time in the UK. 5 days in London, then another 5 traveling around Scotland. The latter blew us away. It qualifies for posting here because we stayed on the small island of Kerrera - a 5 minute ferry ride from the exquisite town of Oban. Kerrera had a really nice marina with some beautiful boats, as well as a couple of houses, one of which we'd rented. Of course, I walked the docks a bit...

...and was invited aboard a handsome HR 36 CC, after helping the group load some of their provisions...including some fine whiskey which they graciously shared. Great bunch of people up from London for a week's cruise around the islands.

As for Oban - I'm sailing back there. No doubt. That place is heaven.

We traveled over to Iona, then it was over to Edinburgh for some kilts and a climb up Arthur's Seat with the boys....

Okay, the last one is in no way sailing related - but it was freakin' awesome.

Scotland...we love ye!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-05-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Smack, glad you had a nice trip with the boys. I'm about a quarter Scot and traveled their nearly 30 years ago. One of the most beautiful places in the world and I'm dying to go back. I found the accents so strong that it was hard to understand the King's english. What a great place it would be to sail to.

p.s. I'm a Macallan guy myself.
smackdaddy likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-06-2014

chamonix is on a distinguished road

Glad you liked Scotland! Oban on a sunny day, you were truly blessed. It was one of my favorite places to go when I was a Kid. Note to self: My son is the only one in the family who has not been back to the old country yet, need to do something about that.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 06-06-2014

mstern is on a distinguished road

Well done Smack. Was wondering where you been at. My family went to France and London last summer; what a trip. Now I want to go to Scotland!
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 06-06-2014

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

I cruised up the fjords there near scotland and norway. Very cool!
smackdaddy likes this.