Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree268Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Im with John..55 to 65 gusts..45 sustained..Thats a lot of mast..

It is totally irrelevant to use the Buford scale here in the Puget Sound that is way I dont do it..You guys in unprotected waters put up with more at 15 knots then we will at 30...This is not a fair comparison and thats why I dont like Smacky singling out people and I made a coment regarding that this is not SA this is Sailnet we get along better over here..Lets try and keep it that way guys...
If you dont want my stories OK I wont put any more here..I tell the truth in all I do so no skin lost..I posted the NOAA wind record for you we were out there..I had a friend along and was excited to show him my boat and get going and I for got one camera in my car...I had another camera in my ditch bag..I pulled it out right after our biggest heal right befor we took in somemore head sail and the batteries showed a red light I would have ruined the camera if I would have tried to put new ones in which I had in the bag too..we were getting soaking wet from spray..I'm sorry guess it must have been a dream...I had suspicions some would doubt..thats OK..

Mine was just a story not ever intended to be bragging or Bravado..I was excited to share it that was all..that my family actually did good and didnt freak out and is not afraid to go out with me again after that.. it was way more then we bargained for..but I was not afraid..never.. I new I had a way out behind an Island if I needed one..I was woried about parting the roller furler line thats all..that made me a little nervous.

Its ok if no one believes me really I dont even care..I was there...I learned a lot about my boat in a few short hours..we had a good time genrally and yes I would do it again because I would want to learn if a little patch on the mizzen would have been better or worse..but would want more experiance on the boat with any more sail up then we had.. I cant find that out over a beer in a bar talking about it or looking at this screen..I will have to go out an do it...sorry

Ray if your serious about going out tomorrow I am ready...Charlie I could use you too...we really need three people if it get as bad...dont you feel the 24 hour flu comming on...

I am done here also..

Smacky ..maybe you were right afterall.

And I was just starting to have fun..

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-06-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Still - and everyone else...I want you all to look at something...

We've had many, many pages of great BFS stories, with both Sailnet newbies and salts offering their tales. We've had lots of fun, lots of good lessons, and we've been getting along just fine. As a matter of fact, I think all in all it's been downright positive.

So, the question is - where is all the bad Mojo coming from? Take a look at the last few pages and the posters and their tone. This is exactly why I sunk FC and started this thread - to try to get back to talking about sailing. These same guys that have just done their drive by always kept crying foul in FC that it was not about good sailing stories but comparing wieners. It was a club - they complained - that lumped people into sailors - not sailors. Fine. We rebooted.

Now they're back - and what are they doing? Exactly what they complained about in FC.

I've always held that it was always just about attitude. So - the question really is...

What is the real problem with Sailnet?

I say we keep having fun tellin' our tales.

Freeeeeedommmmmmm!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-06-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Rainy,
I'd not take it personally-at least from my end-I'm just questioning some of the wind speeds "documented". What type of damage was there on shore? See, at Force 10, 48-55 knots, you start to have trees uprooted and broken in two. I do not doubt that any of the experiences were intense.
Old 10-06-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Scott I wish I could come but I'm running a team effort tomorrow with very high visibility. Wanting to learn what different combo's work in heavy weather is why I still go out in it. Like Scott reiterated, the difference in what we see in the Sound and what one will see on the open ocean is like night and day in the same wind speed conditions.

Scott, don't let 'em run ya outta here. Some folks actually appreciate your sailing stories.
Old 10-06-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Still - and everyone else...I want you to look at something...

We've had many, many pages of great BFS stories, with both Sailnet newbies and salts offering their tales. We've had lots of fun, lots of good lessons, and we've been getting along just fine. As a matter of fact, I think all in all it's been downright positive.

So, the question is - where is all the bad Mojo coming from? Take a look at the last few pages and the posters and their tone. This is exactly why I sunk FC and started this thread - to try to get back to talking about sailing. These same guys that have just done their drive by always kept crying foul in FC that it was not about good sailing stories but comparing wieners. It was a club - they complained - that lumped people into sailors - not sailors. Fine. Now they're back - and what are they doing? Exactly what they complained about in FC.

I've always held that it was always just about attitude. So - the question really is...

What is the real problem with Sailnet?
Lemme take a guess. People flappin' their pie holes about somethin' they know nothin' about. But that's just my guess. Some may see it different.
Old 10-06-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
sailaway, our winds are linear and unlike the Cyclonic stuff you and I are use to in Typhoons and Hurricanes. I went through five hurricanes and there's no comparison. During these storms we get trees down and power out, especially when it climbs over 50 knots but not much else. I did have to dodge an entire tree including roots in that big storm. The roots were at least 20' wide so it was easy to spot. Can ya imagine running across it after dark? I also saw what looked to be a brand new basketball but wasn't about to turn into the wind to pick it up.
Old 10-06-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Lemme take a guess. People flappin' their pie holes about somethin' they know nothin' about. But that's just my guess. Some may see it different.
Sway - if you're talking about me not knowing much about it - you're right. I'm a sailing newbie. So what? This is the same kind of stuff you threw up at every turn in FC. You might want to take the time to read page one again - but all we're talking about are experiences that have pushed our personal limits. And we have thought these were actually rather exciting.

How exactly is this a bad thing?
Old 10-06-2008
On the hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Have ya spent any time out here sway? I spent a year in MI. Too damned cold for me.
Old 10-06-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sway - if you're talking about me not knowing much about it - you're right. I'm a sailing newbie. So what? This is the same kind of stuff you threw up at every turn in FC. You might want to take the time to read page one again - but all we're talking about are experiences that have pushed our personal limits. And we have thought these were actually rather exciting.

How exactly is this a bad thing?

And no matter how many times you point someone to the pages you want them to read you do not read the same pages and realize - yes, we are talking about YOU (sam diddly smacky)...

You are a newbie and your so called "smack" and grand illusions of thinking you are the next moderator of "Sailnet meets SA Debates" is a bit well not quite SNL material...if you were Tina Fey maybe...

Go back to reading some books like "Sailing for Smacky" and other highly intellectual stuff...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-06-2008
Last Man Standing

Ahhhmmmmm...who's we?