Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Another gulper.

MOB for the AP, anyone?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
....it seems like sailing in somewhat sheltered waters is actually a blessing for newbies - you can push the boat with big wind without suffering the consequences of building seas. Is that a fair assessment?
Yep. That's also why it's not really accurate to describe sheltered-water windspeeds using the Beaufort scale. The Beaufort scale describes combined wind and sea-state condition on large open bodies of water, like gulfs, seas, oceans. You may have 50 knot winds in an anchorage, small lake, bay, straight, or other relatively enclosed body of water with limited fetch, but you are unlikely to experience the associated sea-state unless you are in open waters.

So, many of us will eventually get caught out and thumped with anemometer readings in the 50's and 60's on a bad day, but thankfully very few will actually experience Force 10 or 11, when you would expect to see waves well in excess of 25-30 feet with many of them breaking. In most boats those would be dire conditions -- close to if not survival -- and you'd want a lot of searoom in which to manoeuvre.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-22-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
I agree 100% John
Old 09-22-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Big difference as I said between a Force 11 in the Sound with 100 miles of fetch and 12-15' wind waves and Force 11 in the Pacific with 4000 miles of fetch and the same wind waves on top of 18' swells. Not even the same class....
Old 09-22-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
And this story is about as big as it gets from one of the nicest, most knowledgeable sailors on this site. It's long, but it's great:
Smacky, As to your assertions, I am reminded of a cartoon character's aside to the audience:

"He don't know me too well do he".

(I can't remember who said that though).

However, Thank You for the kind words.

Speaking of not being able to remember stuff....In the spirit of this thread, ( and I think I like the spirit of this thread), I wanted to share an experience.
The maiden 'voyage' of our first boat, "Restless".
But since I don't remember stuff so good anymore, and I'm too long-winded with the keyboard. I thought I would just scan the first few pages of the Log of our first real boat.
But as is often the case, what I thought would be the easy way turns out to be simply frustrating and time wasting. Stupid scanner.
I can't make the darn things small enough to attach.

After about an hour and a half, I just grabbed my camera and took a picture of them.

It's hard to imagine that some people think that I know what I'm doing.

Attachment 2351

Attachment 2352

Attachment 2353

Attachment 2354

Attachment 2355

(if you think that was bad, you should see my longhand)

Last edited by knothead; 10-29-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-22-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Ya gotta love early sails on a new (to you) boat. Such interesting things happen, like backing out in front of a fast moving (in the fairway) powerboat and hollering at your admiral to shift to forward as she's hanging upside down in the tranny access hatch with a grip on the shift lever (broken cable, first ever sail).
Old 09-22-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Ya gotta love early sails on a new (to you) boat. Such interesting things happen, like backing out in front of a fast moving (in the fairway) powerboat and hollering at your admiral to shift to forward as she's hanging upside down in the tranny access hatch with a grip on the shift lever (broken cable, first ever sail).
Some memories will last a lifetime.

We had mast steps. We wanted to tie up to a hotel's dock in Stockton for a party. We were passing under the I 5 bridge on the river and I decided that I would climb up to the top of the mast and have Jen inch up to the bridge.
We were about 15 feet away, drifting slowly with the current and I could tell we were not going to make it.
I yelled down, "Reverse, Reverse". She yells back up, "Which way do I move the handle?"
Old 09-22-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Yep. That's also why it's not really accurate to describe sheltered-water windspeeds using the Beaufort scale. The Beaufort scale describes combined wind and sea-state condition on large open bodies of water, like gulfs, seas, oceans. You may have 50 knot winds in an anchorage, small lake, bay, straight, or other relatively enclosed body of water with limited fetch, but you are unlikely to experience the associated sea-state unless you are in open waters.

So, many of us will eventually get caught out and thumped with anemometer readings in the 50's and 60's on a bad day, but thankfully very few will actually experience Force 10 or 11, when you would expect to see waves well in excess of 25-30 feet with many of them breaking. In most boats those would be dire conditions -- close to if not survival -- and you'd want a lot of searoom in which to manoeuvre.
John - that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the feedback. So do you think sheltered water provides a good opportunity to "push" skill level a bit in order to learn to handle the boat/sails in bigger wind without the sea-state "penalty" (at least part of the sailing equation)? That's kind of been my thinking in wanting to get out in winds that I probably wouldn't want to be out in otherwise.

BTW - I fired off a quick email to Beaufort, and he's cool with the whole lake-knot thing. He just said not to get too cocky around sea sailors when bragging about it.
Old 09-22-2008
Last Man Standing

Knot - great story, again, and on paper no less! I haven't seen that since like '87 or something. I was glad to see that the dog turned out to be a keeper.

BTW - I too am partial to a lady with a "rather large pilot-house".

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-22-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Nice job on that one Knotty! Next time we're gonna make you type the whole thing out though!!