Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree313Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I know this is a ways back in this awesome thread. That said, which side of a storm is the "softer side"?
Welcome Bene! Good to have you. And don't worry about how far back it was - it's still a great question and the very reason this thread exists in the first place...to talk and learn about big sailing.

Of course, Jody and I obviously don't have a freakin' clue. But there are some great sailors around here like BF, erps, and many others that will give you the answers. Ain't it cool?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-09-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
SW quadrant in the Northern Hemisphere but don't start me to lying about the Southern, I would assume NE but I don't really know. Now this also depends on the direction of travel for the NH storm. If the storm is moving West, tie South would be best because you'd soon be out. If NW, the SW would be the sweet spot. I'm still not certain about the SH storms but you can bet I'd find out BEFORE I went sailing down there.

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 10-09-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2008

farmboy is on a distinguished road
Smack,

Snowbird is indeed steep and gnarly. I think it's over 50% expert terrain. The thing that struck me about Snowbird the last time I was there (unfortunately 12 years ago this winter) was the caliber of the skiers. When I rode on the 125 person tram car, most of the people on board I recognized as exceptional skiers that I'd taken note of on the mountain. If you're into steeps, then check out Snowbird/Alta if you're in the Salt Lake area.

Jay Peak has Great glades. Some are steep and tight, others are more open and conducive to speed. If you're willing to ski the tight lines with poor visibility close to the trees, you'll find good snow for days after a storm. And they get a ton of snow for an eastern resort. I think 400 inches last year.
Shark24 #337
Old 10-09-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I hate Snowbird...wrecked my knee there. Bunny slopes for me now!
Actually a GREAT area...but I can't deal with powder. I prefer the sheet ice of Vermont!
Old 10-09-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Sheet ice. Sweet. That's great for knees too. You ought to hop on a snowboard. It's generally easier on the knees after you learn - if not harder on the face when you catch an edge. But hey, what have you got to lose?

Hey, have you thrown down a BFS yet? I heard you were in some big race in Florida called....ahm...what was it...ahm....oh yeah, "Solar Stick TransPac".

(PS - Now will you knock my rep points back down to 0?)
Old 10-09-2008
Multihull Fanatic

SelkirkGrace is on a distinguished road
Ice instead of snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I hate Snowbird...wrecked my knee there. Bunny slopes for me now!
Actually a GREAT area...but I can't deal with powder. I prefer the sheet ice of Vermont!
My God Cam, sacrilege! Personally I will avoid ice everytime.
Old 10-10-2008
Last Man Standing

Okay - so are any of you salts aside from erps and Charlie going to help out Bene (and the rest of us) with his question? Or do I need to start a skiing thread in the Racing forum?
Old 10-10-2008

genieskip is on a distinguished road
In the Northern hemisphere tropical storms rotate in a counterclockwise direction. If the storm is not moving, the relative wind speed is the same at any position the same distance from the center. If the storm is moving you have to add or subtract the speed of that movement, depending on which side you are on, to get the relative speed.

Say a storm with 60 MPH winds is moving in a northerly direction at 10 MPH. If you are directly east of the center your relative wind is going to be 70 (60 from the storm itself and 10 added by the northerly direction of the storm). If you are directly west of it, it will be 50. In the Northern hemisphere you want to be to the left of the track of any major storm when facing in the direction the storm is moving.

In the southern hemisphere storms rotate in a clockwise direction (same as what happens when bathtubs are emptied) so the above calculations are reversed.
Old 10-10-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
This storm stuff is greek to me! right now, it is sunny, I'm going about 7 knots on the water in the cab of my dump twuck, so what more could one ask for?

So, yes we need a ski race thread in the racing area, not that I raced much. Altho did have a week long race camp at hood with harold Schonare(sp?) meet Mahre boys, cindy nelson, already knew/met Deb Arstrong at the time, her dad was TD at the school I tought for at the time. Steve Mahre did a double take at the Buddy Warner championship 10 yrs ago I was coaching at, at some of the contestants were getting autographs from him at lunch one day, and someone at the table noticed two boyz were getting things signed, and they said " are your two twins?' He almost broke his neck turning around. He was there as he had a son? that was in teh race, and of course, the twin boyz are my mine!

Anyway, gotta luv it here in the SJ's when it is sunny etc. Now if I could just spot a pod of killer whales on the trip, that would be really kewl, even thos there is not much wind. Ok, so there is a sealion on the #5 green bouy going into Rosario straight from Anacortes. Does that count?

marty
Old 10-10-2008
Last Man Standing

Thanks Genie. That makes sense. Either side of that one, at this point in my sailing "career", I'm, peein' in my seaboots!

And as for the bathtub - the only one I know around here that can sail those waters is Chuckles. Maybe he can give us further insight as to sailing toward the softer side of the drain funnel with a rum and tonic and pork rinds in hand.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.