Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree233Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
BFS and you still had the dodger window open. Nice pictures!
DODGER!! Who needs a dodger in the first place????

I didn't know Sway was married to a Nun. (?)
Old 10-24-2008

nealmc is on a distinguished road
Hey all,

I have been lurking around for a while now on the forum and this thread finally got me out of the woodwork to register. BFSs are the reason I got hooked so hard to the world of sailing. Granted, I have only been on a sailboat for probably less than 24 hours total, and a few more BFSs of a different sort might unhook me, but manning the tiller flying full canvass up in 25 knots and 6-8 foot waves in an Ensign with a captain who had to have been pushing 80 and who needed a cane to get around on land was one of the more memorable experiences of my short sailing career.

Not to mention this thread makes for great at-work time-killer reading.

So here's one for the BFS stories. Keep them coming!

-Neal

Last edited by nealmc; 10-24-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
One thing to keep in mind. One man's BFS is another's snooze cruise. It's a matter of experience and perception. The first time I buried the rail to the cabin in my V-21 while singlehanding was a BFS at the time. Now I'll just get a grin outta it.
Old 10-24-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Saw this on SA. Some fellow idiots crossed the english channel in a storm, windsurfing. At least they raised some money for a good cause.

From the press release:

The current windsurfing world champion Antoine Albeau of France and 13 times British Champion windsurfer Guy Cribb windsurfed across the English Channel in a storm, taking the long route from Cherbourg to Poole (70 miles). Antoine's windsurfing record is 56 mph, but on this remarkable journey to raise money for the Ellen MacArthur Trust their top speeds were around 40 mph over huge waves and choppy water, making it very difficult and dangerous to sail faster.

Their average speed was slower as they had to deal with massive waves and giant tankers in the busy shipping lanes, and needed to rest due to fatigue and high speed crashes. At times they were over 30 miles from the nearest land with waves the size or rows of terraced houses, blocking their view of each other and of their support boats. No one has ever windsurfed across this wide stretch of the Channel before in a storm.

They raised over £7000 for the Ellen MacArthur Trust which takes young people aged between 8-18 on sailing trips to help them regain their confidence, on their way to recovery from cancer, leukaemia and other serious illness. They had a hero's welcome at Sandbanks with BBC and ITV covering the story live.

"This was the toughest day's windsurfing of my life. I've sailed in 30ft surf and 70 mph winds before, but nothing was as hard as this crossing. At the half way stage I left my kit and clambered on board the rescue boat exhausted. I was sea sick, cold, starving and had absolutely no energy left. I then had to jump back into the sea, 30 miles from England with only one way home. I had cramp everywhere but had to finish it for the charity. It was an amazing day!" - Guy Cribb

"This was much harder than I imagined. The waves and the chop were really dangerous. We could not of done this today with out the support of each other- when Guy was tired I pushed him on, when I was tired he was pushing me. It was perfect." - Antoine Albeau.

(source SA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tenuki; 10-24-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
TJ - "Tim, there's no need to go looking for BFS, they will find you!" I'm just teary-eyed to know that whacked slang has so seriously infected your family lexicon. Makes me wonder what your dinner table conversations are like. I just hope and pray you don't read Sailhog FC dialogue to one another. Ouch.

Neal - Welcome, dude. Great to have you. And especially great to have another who appreciates the BFS philosophy. It's rare these days - believe me. Octogenarian-with-cane burying the rail. Dude, it sounds like you've started out with the right skipper! And my hunch is that each BFS you get under your belt will just make you love it all the more. Just look at Charlie.

Tenuki - I'm just glad to see that you're finally accepting those guys as FELLOW idiots. That's the spirit! There's hope for you yet.
Old 10-25-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Want BFS???

Like Bloody Fast Sailing?

Old 10-26-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Want BFS???

Like Bloody Fast Sailing?
Hey, your deck is all wet. You should probably let it dry after you hose it off before you go out sailing. That could be dangerous, you might slip and fall.

ps - that is some serious backwinding you are getting in your main. Is that usual for Guilietta in those conditions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tenuki; 10-26-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Alex, you are screaming! That's a fine video...
Old 10-26-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Yo Hog! Great to see you around, dude! You been sailing lately?

Giu - good grief, man. I have GOT to automate my boat like yours so I can get into that Roman Polanski thing like you (the filming I mean - not swinging with 14 year old girls). How many knots? True. No MDB now.
Old 10-27-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
G- Would you quit blowing on the camera mic, trying to make it sound like you're going faster than 4kts!!