Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree264Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
strike the head sail, Reef her main down or go to bare poles. Take your anchor rode and make a bridle at mid point and connect the anchor at the mid point. take both bitter ends to the cockpit winches and make fast. launch anchor over the stern. depending on which winch you tighten up on you can steer the boat with the drag the anchor makes to one side or the other. this will give you time to work on that rudder.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
strike the head sail, Reef her main down or go to bare poles. Take your anchor rode and make a bridle at mid point and connect the anchor at the mid point. take both bitter ends to the cockpit winches and make fast. launch anchor over the stern. depending on which winch you tighten up on you can steer the boat with the drag the anchor makes to one side or the other. this will give you time to work on that rudder.
Wow. Now that's cool bubb!
Old 10-28-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
What, I get no props?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-28-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Now your learning from experience that our friend Ronnie didn't have.
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Cool - thanks again Dog. Hey, man, you ain't so bad! I mean if you're willing to help me out - you must have some heart.
Nah, I just take pity on some fools...

Quote:
Okay, one more hypothetical and I'll leave you alone....

Tlller. Stock shears at the collar. Stock is still there but too far down in the tube to "grab" onto. Screwed?

[Start the clock.]

And for the bonus round, let's throw in one more complication: At the very moment of shear, you're just at the mouth of the marina where you are picking up two topless Norwegian ladies who want to film a documentary of your voyage. They're watching closely to see what happens. What do you do now?
Depends on the boat. On my boat, I could probably rig a line to the rudder to allow me to steer it... That is the case with many boats with a transom mounted rudder. Drill a small hole in the aft edge of the rudder blade and attach two lines to it. Steer by using the lines to turn the rudder.

Also, on my boat, the tiller isn't attached to the rudder stock or quadrant... it's connected via a set of mechanical linkages...so even if the tiller head snaps off, I could probably jury rig something directly to the quadrant in the rudder trunk compartment and run the lines up to the cockpit via one of the cockpit lockers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
...this actually was part of Ken Barnes's problem, is that if the wheel is damaged/bent, it can often prevent you from being able to turn the rudder. In a case like that, you'd have to disconnect the wheel steering before you could use the emergency tiller.

Not totally accurate. You COULD disconect the wheel steering, or you could remove the wheel, or you could cut the bent section of the wheel off. (You do carry a hacksaw and/or bolt cutters right?) Ken Barnes problem wasn't mechanical, it was that he was stupid.
Yes, he could have removed the wheel or cut the bent section of wheel off... but this is Ken Barnes we are talking about...

BTW, don't carry bolt cutters on my boat, but don't have a wheel either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-28-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
What, I get no props?
Props to my friend!!!!! Great minds think alike.
Old 10-28-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
What, I get no props?
Dude, you're slinging a bucket and plywood around - and sawing the furniture in half. What would the neighbors think?

Just kidding. Honestly, this kind of thing is what I'd probably resort to. I just wondered about the "technically correct" way of doing it.
Old 10-28-2008
Last Man Standing

Dog - that's funny. I was actually wondering about the line through the aft edge of the rudder thing. I like that. Makes a lot of sense.

Now none of these options sound pleasant in screaming conditions - but I suppose you steer with sail until things calm down enough where you can start throwing the tools around.

So - for passage prep, seems like having 3 or so solid back up options for steering is what you're shooting for?
Old 10-28-2008

One more point to all of this is if you are in big waves and big wind, you need to get steerage back on the boat ASAP. If I lost the rudder, for any reason, and could not see a fix quickly. I would move to plan B and get warps out over the stern to get bow pointed to windward or to start running with the wind. You don't have time to screw with things before you get broached or worst.

Last edited by bubb2; 10-28-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Oh boy, here we go again.
What again???? Please don't tell me I need to read that whole BFS Proponent.... thing!

Dog- Love the idea of drilling a hole in the trailing edge of rudder and attaching two lines. Would probably work on a lot of boats even without the rudder being transom mounted.

Last edited by T34C; 10-28-2008 at 01:42 PM.