Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would, but if you haven't drilled the hole before setting out... doing it on a rudder that is mounted under the boat is a bit problematic. On many transom-mounted rudders, you could drill them with the boat still in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
What again???? Please don't tell me I need to read that whole BFS Proponent.... thing!

Dog- Love the idea of drilling a hole in the trailing edge of rudder and attaching two lines. Would probably work on a lot of boats even without the rudder being transom mounted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
What's the difference between a "warp" and a "drogue"? (and a bucket)

(This is an actual question, Painkiller, not the set up for a punch-line. Although, I would like to hear your punch-line if you please.)
Old 10-28-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Smack if I may, why do you try to encourage people to set off on voyages with same knowledge that you have as evidenced by your last question. By the way, the warp is the line you tow the drogue with.
Old 10-28-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I don't. Thanks for the answer.
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A warp can also be any line that is lead off the stern of a boat to slow it down....often with both ends aboard the boat and just a long bight of rope dragging in the water behind the boat. Usually a warp will be a fairly heavy line—1" is not unusual.

A drogue is a device or object that is towed behind the boat, on a warp or rode, and designed to slow the boat's forward progress.

A bucket is what you sit on, to avoid staining your shorts, when you realize you need a drogue and don't have a rode or warp to attach one to the boat with...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-28-2008
Last Man Standing

BTW - another very nice BFS from sgkuhner from the Cruising forum:

"Then there is the type of storm conditions we were in when we were sailing around the Cape of Good Hope at the southern end of South Africa in our 30 foot Allied Seawind Ketch back in 1973. The wind was blowing about 50 - 55 kts and the seas were running in excess of 30 feet; so high that when we were in the trough there was no wind; but, when we were on the crest (with about a three to four foot break) all hell was breaking loose. We did not want to heave to for fear of being rolled over because the waves were very steep. The wind was dead astern, so we deployed warps to slow us down and keep us from nosediving into the wave in front of us. At that time I wish we had had a "Gale-rider" by Hathaway Reiser and Raymond. I would not have wanted to turn into the wind to deploy a parachute anchor. We ran like this in the direction we wanted to go for about 18 hours. I don't want to do that again!"

Nice.

(PS - The wording here was why I was wondering about the warp/drogue thing. As well as the act of "warping". A lot of terminology to learn. And thanks Dog - you just cleared it up as well. I'm buying a bucket first thing.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-28-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

BTW a Galerider is a drogue device that looks like an oversized hamper.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-28-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
One of those might come in handy...
Old 10-28-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It would, but if you haven't drilled the hole before setting out... doing it on a rudder that is mounted under the boat is a bit problematic. On many transom-mounted rudders, you could drill them with the boat still in the water.
Great point, but if I ever get around to going cruising off-shore, I'll have a hand drill aboard. BTW- Get some bolt cutters.
Old 10-28-2008
Telstar 28

I plan on getting some sort of heavy cutters to carry aboard, but haven't decided what yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Great point, but if I ever get around to going cruising off-shore, I'll have a hand drill aboard. BTW- Get some bolt cutters.

Telstar 28
New England