SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Big Freakin' Sails

593K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  smackdaddy 
#1 ·
Okay - this thread is for people that ACTUALLY LIKE Big Freakin' Sails (note for morons: the verb, not the noun). BFS simply means sailing that pushes limits - whatever those limits may be. And herein lies the rub...and the reason I need to explain a couple of things so people don't start foaming at the mouth right off the bat.

There has been a tremendous amount of hubbub over this "philosophy" in another thread - but that thread apparently "came with a lot of baggage" - to the point that the topic itself got lost in the fog of war. So, this is an attempt to start cleanly.

It must be understood that the love for the adventure and excitement of hard sailing is just as valid and robust in the newbie as it is in the big-sailing old salt. The gap between the two is experience and knowledge. And the goal here is not to fill that gap by quashing the spirit of adventure and excitement with a deluge of cynicism and technicality - but to help us all learn, if and when the time comes, how to better handle that moment when mother nature starts rising beyond our sailing abilities. Because if you keep sailing - it will happen, period. And as you'll see, it can get very frightening very quickly.

For an old salt, these limits will obviously be worlds beyond those of the typical newbie. That old salt will probably snicker at the point at which the newbie becomes terrified - understandably so. Yet, there will inevitably be an even more seasoned salt that will, in turn, snicker at the snickerer when he/she soils his/her own breeches in a blow. It's all subjective and un-ownable.

Therefore, the BFS factor of a newbie experiencing a hard heel and wayward helm for the very first time is just as exciting, important, and valuable (in BFS terms) as the old salt battling a 50 knot gale. It's just about the attitude with which the exploit is approached and remembered - and taken into account as they go back out for more. There are great stories and valuable lessons in both experiences - as well as great opportunities for good hearted slams on the brave posters (which is valuable as well). That's BFS.

So, to be clear this thread is JUST AS MUCH FOR THE SAILING NEWBIE (of which I am one) as it is for the old salt. It's a place to tell your story, listen to others', learn some lessons, and discuss the merits or detractions of Big Freakin' Sails.

The following inaugural BFS stories illustrate what this thread is all about. As I said, I'm a newbie - and you see my first BFS story below. You can then compare that with the other great BFS stories thereafter (sometimes edited to protect the innocent) which I think are great tales from great sailors; they cover the spectrum of "pushing the limits". Then, hopefully, you'll throw down some BFS of your own (either your own story, stories you admire, or stories that are just flat-out lies but with great BFS value - whatever).

Now, let's have some fun...shall we?

See less See more
#1,925 ·
This is less a BFS, than one of those "stuff happens" stories. I would be interested in constructive advice on things I might have done differently (and I'm man enough to even take any snide remarks that someone feels compelled to give). I was sailing our 35 ft catamaran from Branford, CT to Old Greenwich, CT. My crew was my wife and 9 year old twin daughters. For the record, I am the only one with sailing experience.

We left Sunday morning with about 10kt winds off the port stern quarter. I decided to motor as we wanted to get back (this was the end of a 5 day trip). Over time, the winds picked up so I raised the main and the small jib. I knew that there was a forecast of thundershowers so I deliberately kept the sail plan on the smaller side. Apparent winds kept rising, eventually getting to the 15-18kts area. I have to say the cat really purrs in those conditions as we were cruising at 7-8.5kts - and my wife and kids were playing games on the settee table (which is same level as cockpit).

Anyway, as we approached Noroton (just before Stamford for those of you from other parts), I heard something, looked back and saw that the stern of the dinghy was off the davit and bouncing in the water. To make matters worse, the dinghy had flipped and was dragging in the water. My first reaction was to drop the mainsail (thank god for lazy jacks), then roll in the jib, and turn the engines on. Because of the high winds I was very lucky that we were far enough from any hazards that we could focus on the dinghy. The bad news was the water was too deep (80 ft or so) to contemplate anchoring.

I lowered the bow davit (starboard side) so as not to have too much pressure and break it and then detached the stern line (which I use to keep the boat from bouncing around while on the davit). My wife and I got on the starboard swim platform. We tried to flip it back over but couldn't, so we pulled the dinghy as far up the swim platform as we could and secured it with a couple of lines.

From there, we motored at medium speed back to our mooring (about 2 hrs) so as not to aggravate the dinghy situation. I might of motored slower, but the clouds were becoming ominous and the Coast Guard was issuing advisories on channel 16 about pockets of very rough squalls. Upon getting to the mooring, I went in the water and unclipped the port davit line (which was attached- but a shackle had broken off so it was off the davit arm). I got back on the boat and reconfigured the starboard davit line so we could pull the dinghy up and flip her back over. I then secured it back on the boat. Unfortunately, my wife gave me as much help as she could but she had a bad knee and bruised a rib while trying to help with the davit lines.

Anyway, other than my wife's bruised rib, no injuries so all is OK. I'm not so sure about the dinghy engine. It was dragged through salt water for a couple of hours, lost its top, and has been exposed to the rain since then. I am assuming it is a goner, is that correct? I would be real interested to hear how others would have handled the situation and what you think I should have done differently. I made a judgement call that we did not need to call for help, do you folks think that was appropriate or a mistake? Appreciate any thoughts on this.

#1,927 ·
I'm not so sure about the dinghy engine. It was dragged through salt water for a couple of hours, lost its top, and has been exposed to the rain since then. I am assuming it is a goner, is that correct? I would be real interested to hear how others would have handled the situation and what you think I should have done differently. I made a judgement call that we did not need to call for help, do you folks think that was appropriate or a mistake? Appreciate any thoughts on this.
Twins - I can't see any big "mistakes" in your story. I think you were right not to call for help on this one. You got everything and everyone back in one piece - a wet piece - but one piece nonetheless. How did the dinghy part with the davit? Something break?

I don't know about the motor. Did you get feedback on that? I'd be interested to know if it was salvageable.

#1,926 ·
I tried to get out yesterday for the Sail with Courtney - but there was absolutely no wind. Sailflow promised some sweet stuff today and it was spot on. Steady 15 with many gusts to 25. I took a newbie and his wife out for their second sail ever - and we had a freakin' blast. I also had a first today - which was putting in a single reef while under sail (I've always started the motor when it started getting stinky to play it safe). It was easy! Very cool.

The best part of the day though was flying the "SWC" flag - and the pretty amazing surprises that came with it. See for yourself...

How about that rainbow. Thanks for the BFS Courtney.

#1,934 ·
TMI Bubb! especially the:pukepart!LOL

Found out a lady in my YC had some biopsy's over the last week, needs to go in for surgery next week. They were going to take part in a prosuit race to and from a port north of us for the cruise, Now hope they make it and can play some golf sunday before the fun.....yeah right! starts! Sounds like David and I need to get something going for next year. We have been talking about some kind of local BC regatta fund raiser.........hmmmmmm......

marty

#1,937 ·
Smack, I'm not sure why the shackle to the davit broke or came loose. Nonetheless, it did. Appreciate your feedback. I haven't had time to bring the engine in, but I will let you know whether it was salvagable. Fortunately, last weekend's sailing was a little less eventful. :)

#1,938 ·
Okay - time to post 'em if you got 'em.

The "2010 BFS Cup" is currently being spit polished by an 80-year-old Chinese woman in preparation for this year's competition...which is coming up soon.

Thus far it's been the Eurpies (2008) and the Easties (2009) pulling down the most coveted bling in the world. Who's it gonna be this year?

The Poll goes up in a few weeks - so stop jackin' around and sail big!

#1,939 ·
Sure to win the Cup

The Battle of Lake Erie:

At dawn on the morning of September 10, 1813, a lookout spotted six vessels to the northwest past Rattlesnake Island. Immediately Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry - Commodore of the United States fleet on Lake Erie issued a flurry of orders and made preparations to sail forth to engage the British. Perry had been waiting for this moment for a long time. He had arrived at Erie, Pennsylvania in late March and under his supervision a flotilla of ships had been constructed in the wilderness. Though encountering many frustrations in the attempt to arm, man, and equip his fleet, Perry's perseverance paid off when on August 12, 1813 his tiny fleet sailed for western Lake Erie. Perry rendezvoused with General William Henry Harrison at Sandusky Bay, and following discussions concerning the upcoming campaign the commanders selected Put-in-Bay harbor for the American naval base. From this strategic location Perry could observe British fleet movements, while at the same time train his crews and wait for Robert Heriott Barclay's squadron.

The British, after maintaining naval control over Lake Erie for more than a year, were now experiencing difficulties. With Perry's fleet on the lake their naval force was outnumbered, but more importantly the water supply route from Fort Malden to Port Dover had been severed; the British faced the unhappy choice to either fight, or to abandon Fort Malden and the Old Northwest. In early September construction of the new British flagship - the Detroit - was completed, and with this additional strength they opted to fight. On the afternoon of September 9, with their ships manned mostly by poorly trained British soldiers, Canadian militia, and provincial mariners, the British ships floated down the Detroit River and into western Lake Erie.

The British squadron consisted of six ships with sixty-three cannons, while the American flotilla comprised nine vessels and fifty-four guns. The British were armed mostly with long guns, the traditional naval weapon which could throw a cannonball approximately one mile, accurately to about one-half mile. The American ships were armed primarily with carronades. A carronade possessed numerous advantages over the more traditional weapon, but the stubby-barreled cannon had less than half the range of a long gun. Thus for Perry to make effective tactical use of his flotilla it would be necessary to fight at short range, where his heavy carronades would confer firepower superiority. But to close within carronade range Perry would first need the wind at his back.

When the squadron sailed from Put-in-Bay harbor at 7:00 a.m. the American vessels were steering west-northwest; the wind was blowing from the west-southwest, according the weather gauge to the British. For more than two hours Perry clawed to windward, repeatedly tacking in an effort to weather Rattlesnake Island, but with no success. If Barclay should maintain the weather gauge he could heave-to outside carronade range and pound the American flotilla into submission piecemeal, whereas Perry would be unable to close within range for his carronades. The frustrated commodore conceded to mother nature at 10:00 a.m., issuing orders to turn his fleet in the opposite direction. But before the order could be executed the wind suddenly shifted and blew from the southeast, placing the wind directly behind the Americans and bestowing upon Perry the critical weather gauge advantage.

Perry's opponent, Commander Robert Heriott Barclay, was an experienced Royal Navy officer who had fought with Lord Nelson at Trafalgar in 1805, and two years later he lost an arm fighting the French. Barclay's options did not alter when the wind shifted, so the Scotsman pointed his bowsprits to the westward, clewed-up his sails and hove to in line of battle.

With the wind at his back and the British battle line finally revealed, Perry made his own tactical adjustments. The Schooners Ariel and Scorpion were placed off the flagship's weather bow to engage the first British vessel and to prevent the enemy from raking his fleet. The Lawrence, a 20-gun brig serving as Perry's flagship, was third in line and would engage the Detroit, Barclay's 19-gun flagship. Next in line floated the Caledonia, a small brig with only three guns. Fifth in the American line of battle was the Niagara, Perry's other 20-gun brig and the Lawrence's sistership.
The Niagara, captained by Master Commandant Jesse Elliott, would engage the 17-gun Queen Charlotte, the second largest British ship. Lastly came the smaller schooners and sloop; these would engage the smaller British vessels.

Just before the engagement opened Perry hoisted his battle flag to the flagship's main truck. The large navy blue banner was emblazoned with the crudely inscribed words, "DONT GIVE UP THE SHIP". For his battle slogan Perry used the dying words of Captain James Lawrence, a friend of the commodore who was killed on June 1, 1813. Perry's flagship was named for the fallen Lawrence, and the dead hero's inspiring words clearly indicated Perry's determination to prevail.
At 11:45 a.m. the Detroit fired the first shot at extreme range, a 24-pounder that splashed harmlessly near the Lawrence. A few minutes later a second 24-pounder was fired, but this time the heavy ball punched through the bulwarks of the Lawrence and flying splinters killed and wounded American sailors. The Lawrence's carronades were still far out of range, so Perry issued orders to the Scorpion, with one long 24-pounder, and the Ariel, with four long 12-pounders, to open fire. For the next thirty minutes Perry struggled to close within range, during which time the Lawrence was forced to pass almost the entire British battle line, suffering punishment all the way.

Another problem for Perry was the small gunboats bringing up the rear of his battle line. Because the wind was light the little schooners and sloop fell behind early, and even with all sail set and sweeps working, when the battle opened they were still two miles astern and temporarily out of the fray.

At 12:15 p.m. Perry fetched up within range, luffing his flagship to bring her starboard guns to bear. When the Lawrence loosed her broadside the heavy 32-pounders crashed into the British ships; as soon as the Niagara moved in the advantage would rest with the Americans. The commodore peered astern, expecting to see the Niagara edging in toward the Queen Charlotte, but instead of closing, Perry was shocked to note that Jesse Elliott had brailed the Niagara's jib and backed her main topsail, a tactic which held the Niagara dead in the water.

Elliott's actions were somewhat justified initially. The Caledonia, directly ahead of the Niagara, also shortened sail. The Caledonia's commander, facing the Queen Charlotte's vastly superior broadside, wisely decided to stand off and not futilely jeopardize his vessel. Since one of Elliott's two procedural directives dictated that he maintain his position in line, Perry's second-in-command was simply following his superior's orders. Elliott opened with the Niagara's 12-pounder bow chaser, which in his current position astern of the Caledonia was the only gun able to bear.

As the battle progressed the Caledonia continued to hesitate, so Elliott decided to range in front of the smaller brig. The Niagara's captain displayed initiative by abandoning the rigid line-of-battle tactic, justifiably disregarding one of his superior's orders. Having made his move Elliott could now follow Perry's second specific order, to engage his designated adversary at close range - the Niagara's pre-ordained opponent was the Queen Charlotte. But instead of closing with the British line Elliott eased the Niagara to windward, angling slightly away from the enemy ships. The reason for Elliott's questionable movement is still being debated, but regardless of motive the Niagara's carronades, almost forty percent of Perry's total broadside strength, sat indolently out of range.

With the Niagara lingering to windward the Queen Charlotte's guns were rendered useless. The commander of the second largest British vessel, possibly not understanding his adversary's move but anxious to bring his guns to bear, allowed his vessel to pay off and glide forward of the General Hunter, where she could assist the Detroit against the Lawrence. Practically ignoring the smaller American support vessels, the Detroit, Queen Charlotte, and General Hunter focused their broadsides, pounding the Lawrence while the Niagara remained a spectator. Fighting desperately the American flagship inflicted considerable damage upon the British, but the Lawrence was overwhelmed by superior firepower. By 2:30 p.m. the flagship was a floating wreck; every gun on her engaged side was disabled and four of every five men fit for duty were either killed or wounded. Perry was facing the dismal prospect of surrender.

Then, as he gazed across to the Niagara, still out of range and relatively undamaged, the commodore made a fateful decision. Collecting four unwounded men Perry manned the flagship's first cutter and rowed through a hail of shot to the Niagara. Miraculously Perry and his boat crew reached the Niagara unscathed.

Following a brief conversation the flotilla commander dispatched Elliott in the same small boat to hurry along the lagging gunboats. Perry then prepared the Niagara for immediate action, put the helm up, and sailed toward the British line.

The British, though they had pounded the Lawrence into a crippled hulk, had suffered terribly. During the engagement Barclay was severely wounded, plus the captain and first lieutenant of every British vessel was incapacitated. The English fleet was now commanded by junior officers - brave men, but with little or no experience maneuvering ships in the chaos of combat. When they observed the Niagara bearing down on their line the British attempted to wear ship - to turn their vessels around to bring the unused starboard broadsides to bear. Orders were issued, but amidst the tumult of battle the battered Detroit and Queen Charlotte collided, becoming helplessly entangled.

Taking full advantage of the enemy blunder, Perry steered the Niagara through the jumbled British battle line. Unleashing both broadsides, the American commodore ravaged the vulnerable British ships. As the Niagara pressed through the British line Perry backed the maintop sail, holding the Niagara stationary while her belching carronades decimated the enemy decks. The wind had also picked up by this time, allowing the sluggish gunboats to rush forward and rake the enemy from astern.

A few minutes after 3:00 p.m. the British bowed to the inevitable, the four largest vessels surrendering one by one. The gunboats Chippawa and Little Belt sheered off and tried to escape, but they were tracked down and snared by the Scorpion and Trippe. The entire British fleet had been captured. The vessels anchored and hasty repairs were underway near West Sister Island when Perry composed his now famous message to William Henry Harrison. Scrawled in pencil on the back of an old envelope, Perry wrote,

"Dear General:
We have met the enemy and they are ours. Two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop.
Yours with great respect and esteem,
O.H. Perry".

The Battle of Lake Erie proved one of the most resounding triumphs of the War of 1812. The victory secured control of the lake, forcing the British to abandon Fort Malden and retreat up the Thames River. Harrison's army pursued, decisively defeating the small British army and its allied Indian force on October 5, 1813 at the Battle of the Thames. And later, during the peace talks, the dual victories of Lake Erie and the Thames insured that the states of Ohio and Michigan would remain the sovereign territory of the United States of America.

#1,948 ·
Hey Smacker,
the cat coming ove the bar is the Southport seaway - our back yard! He used up a few of his cats 9 lives - and was skilled or lucky he did not broach. You know that old saying that the _________ of the act is proportional to the number of people watching..

The east coast of Australia has a number of bar crossings. Southport is considered a 'seaway', not a bar and is the safest.

NSW has some very dangerous ones.

We have surfed in over the Wide Bay Bar in the last boat, a 36' mono. One swell, which broke and we surfed it for half a mile. I kept the nose head on, to stop any chance of broaching. It was interesting. The swells were about 3-4m which is just a tad bigger than the ones in your 2nd vid. The 2nd vid - I saw a gn beacon and a number of surfers - not good for the blood pressure. I reckon he could have munched a board rider towards the end.

Lake sailing dont have swells or bar crossings - I think I might find a big lake.

#1,952 ·
Smacky,
Its part of cruising. SOmething you can learn - reading the surf as a board rider goes a long way towards this. There are courses on the Gold Coast for people to learn how to cross the seaway, which you saw in a less than ideal way. The crossings can be glass calm. Go over at dead high tide = fat swells, plenty of water. Dont think about it as the tide ebbs (as cat sailor did) or wind against tide. When in doubt - dont cross. He could wait until dead high tide or dead low, (there is enough water to cross at low water). Alternatively, he could sail on to Mooloolaba (where I had some fun getting into a few weeks ago)

#1,957 ·
Okay, so I'm reading the book: "Adrift" by Steven Callahan, who spent 76 days lost at sea in a six-man life raft with very, very little in the way of provisions.

I'm at the point in the book where he's 23 days in. And I come across this...

In fact, I sometimes wonder if one of the major reasons for ocean racing and voyaging is to push one's self and one's boat just past the edge, watch things fail, and then somehow come up with a solution. In many ways, having a jury rig succeed is often more gratifying than making a pleasant and uneventful passage or even winning a race. Rising to the challenge is a common thread that runs through a vast wardrobe of sea stories.
This from a guy who spends 2-1/2 months in a tiny rubber raft with nothing but a solar still and a spear gun...the latter of which just broke leading to the above passage.

Interesting perspective.

#1,959 ·
Smackdidly,

Ya, the mono is doin fine. I don't know the "bar" or what his deal was. Probably those 2 breakers were the worst of his outbound crossing.
I wanted to make the point that bar crossings (some places) have... Uh.. considerations. It looked to me like maybe the guy got where he wasn't comfortable? It looks like a snitty time to be outbound?
The multi guy crossed knowing it was snitty and disregarded warnings - to keep his schedule? He made it, and may even be as badarse as he thinks he is. I don't know.
Both cool vids. Thanks

Check out Steve Calahan's designs, after you read the book. Interesting guy.
I can't come up with any BFS lately. Sorry. Ok, maybe I'm not sorry.
Max

#1,960 · (Edited)
Okay - it's been a while since I've rated..but today, I think I rated.

I mean, what would you call........SAILING THROUGH A FREAKIN' TORNADO!?!?!?

Heh-heh. It was pretty insane...but really fun...in a sick kind of way. Our OB has been really squirelly since we took it in for service a couple of weeks ago. That, plus the fact that we were pretty low on gas had me a little nervous as we left the marina in a light rain. But, I figured...what's the worst that can happen? We just sail back into the slip, right?

So we're out in extremely lame winds...drifting around...watching this dude in a Pearson 27 practicing a spin set (horribly I might add). He's sailing sideways - and I'm impressed that a Pearson can do that. Suddenly the wind starts piping up, just after he socks his kite and starts motoring. We start cranking northward at 6 knots or so under a full main and 150. There's a race going on in the gulley and we stay upwind of the committee boat enjoying the speed.

Suddenly, a friend says, "Holy crap, look at that!" I turn around and see this:

No way. That's just a tail dropping. Then a cloud starts coming from the ground to meet that tail. Texas Tornado, baby. 3 miles and closing.

Then, lots more start to form along that line...

That wall of pain is heading straight for us.

We immediately get everyone into PFDs, drop all sail, start the motor and head for a channel that will give us some shelter from the blast. There's very little time.

Within 2 minutes, it's on us...

We move back and forth behind this cliff as the main lake channel blows up with crazy white caps and big winds. The OB starts dying, and I have to milk the choke to keep it running. If it dies now, we are completely screwed. I check the gas and we're low. Crap.

I tell my friend to be ready to go forward and drop the anchor if we lose the motor. It's now directly over us. The wind is howling...

Of course, I'm as cool as a cucumber in my sweet BFS gimme...(heh-heh).

Here, let me give you a closer look...OH YEAH BABY!!!!

And my kids are cowering in the v-berth...

It howls on past...looking absolutely Biblical...

About this point we head back out onto the lake and start back to the marina since we're dangerously low on gas. We have to keep the motor cranked to fight through the wind and waves. We're actually getting spray over the bow (I love when that happens).

We clear Windy Point and throw up a reefed main and kill the motor to conserve the last few ounces of gas. The wind is still blowing stink but it's starting to die down a bit.

We sail all the way back to the marina inlet...and then things get testy....

We're tacking back and forth right at the mouth of the marina, trying to get past the break water without using the motor. We tack to starboard and I look over and see a 45' double-decker party barge coming at us about 200 yards away doing 15 knots or so. He's trying to cut between us and the marina (a space of no more than 200'). What THE hell?

I stand up in the cockpit and wave him off - using my hands to tell him we're headed into the marina. He doesn't change course. There's a dude on the lower deck, but I can't see anyone else on the boat. The dude runs up the stairs. They are now about 75 yards away - on a collision course. There is literally nothing we can do at this point.

Finally, I see someone at the upper deck take the wheel and bear off to port. I start politely screaming at him to read the freakin' Rules of the Road. Why? Because he's screaming at me as he goes by that it was my fault for "turning right in front of him".

I point out the fact that he's a raging bonehead and that vessels under sail have the right of way. He returns fire saying that it's the "larger boat that has the right of way". He flips me the bird. I work very, very hard to restrain myself because my kids are listening now. But I'm seriously pissed...you know, kind of like CP-And-Tartan-Pissed.

We make it back to the slip without further incident and I have a nice tall rum beverage. I'm better now.

You sail through a tornado and get run down by a freakin' party barge? Where's the justice in that?

Stinkpotters are freakin' Neanderthals. Here is the driver of that party barge...

Nuff said.

#1,978 ·
Hmmm - "right of way"?

Okay

We sail all the way back to the marina inlet...and then things get testy....

We're tacking back and forth right at the mouth of the marina, trying to get past the break water without using the motor. We tack to starboard and I look over and see a 45' double-decker party barge coming at us about 200 yards away doing 15 knots or so. He's trying to cut between us and the marina (a space of no more than 200'). What THE hell?

I stand up in the cockpit and wave him off - using my hands to tell him we're headed into the marina. He doesn't change course. There's a dude on the lower deck, but I can't see anyone else on the boat. The dude runs up the stairs. They are now about 75 yards away - on a collision course. There is
literally nothing we can do at this point

Finally, I see someone at the upper deck take the wheel and bear off to port. I start politely screaming at him to read the freakin' Rules of the Road. Why? Because he's screaming at me as he goes by that it was my fault for "turning right in front of him".

I point out the fact that he's a raging bonehead and that vessels under sail
have the right of way. He returns fire saying that it's the "larger boat that has the right of way". He flips me the bird. I work very, very hard to restrain myself because my kids are listening now. But I'm seriously pissed...you know, kind of like CP-And-Tartan-Pissed.

We make it back to the slip without further incident and I have a nice tall rum beverage. I'm better now.

You sail through a tornado and get run down by a freakin' party barge?
Where's the justice in that?

Stinkpotters are freakin' Neanderthals. Here is the driver of that party barge..

Nuff said.
Smackdaddy,

sounds exciting. I don't know about Texas Tornados. PFDs - good. I'd think your kids know enough to keep safe. My thought is that they can decide where to be? Avoiding panic is important. It's clear you get that.
Thanks for sharing your stories.
The reason for my reply is this:

There is a common misconception that "sailboats have the right of way."
Yes, all boaters should read the "Rules of the Road" (Navigation rules).
No where in these rules is the phrase "right of way."
"Stand-on vessel" and "Give-way vessel" (rules 16,17) are terms used.
It's important to know the meaning.
Rule 2b comes to mind
Rule 9b probably did not apply, but might be what the dumbarse was talking about.

Rule 18a does not mean that sailboats have a "right of way."

I don't really know exactly what the deal was with this "party barge" and it's likely he is a bone head (after all, it's Texas). I do know that niether one of you had the "right of way."
it ain't that simple.

Yep - reading the "rules of the road" is a good idea.
Safe sailing
Max

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.