Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Just a heads up to those that are all about BFS. There's some good stuff going on in Heavy Weather Sailing.

Check out BillyR's post on page 2. Then bring home a BFS.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Smack, read "Desperate Voyage" by Caldwell if ya want a BFS. I found it at a used book store, crazy story.
Old 10-30-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Charlie. Just ordered it.

Okay - so we've talked about sail inventory, general things to go over on the boat itself for prep (haul-out, rudder/steerage, keel, rigging, tackle, lashing down the sandwiches, etc.) - and we've talked about snot gear like warps and drogues, and we've talked about emergency steering techniques. All great stuff.

What haven't we covered in terms of the inventory of essential stuff you've GOT to have on board? For example, I've been looking through the auto-helming threads and see many different schools of thought on the types of systems one should have (vane, etc.). What are the thoughts on this? And what are the obvious items still missing from our discussion?

Now, let me qualify these questions:

None of the above is essential to BFS as defined in this thread. You can have a BFS in a dinghy on a pond in a stiff breeze if you're starting out. No question.

I've just been intrigued by Ronnie's unfortunate journey - and instead of tearing him down, I'd like to see if we can talk about what one should do to prep for a major passage like that. For example, in a typical haul-out, what's inspected - what's not? What should I be particularly worried about - or not? What's the minimum inventory of big weather gear?

Now - I know everything above depends. It always does. But let's just go over the generalities so we have a starting place.

If there are other threads that you guys know of that cover this, that's cool, I can do the legwork. I'm actually looking anyway - it just takes forever to wade through a lot of it. Man are you guys longwinded.

(PS - Charlie, I just ordered several other books that have been recommended here. I'll have to get my mom to read them to me, but I bet they'll be cool.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-30-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
I went on ronnie's sight and kind of liked him having two children that age makes it easy to understand him a bit

BUT getting to gear most of the boats i race on are OLDER get raced HARD up to Bermuda distance

They ALL get pretty heavy matiance right down to pulling rudders to do bearings because it sucks breaking stuff during a race and things like standing rigging get changed a lot more than a lightly used boat

The saftey stuff required for any ocean race is easy to find in the entry forms and is very compleat

BUT for example the local second place J44 came apart on the way home after finishing bermuda this year and while they made it home safe it had to be nerve racking seeing the deck lifting off the bulkheads for a few days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I've just been intrigued by Ronnie's unfortunate journey - and instead of tearing him down, I'd like to see if we can talk about what one should do to prep for a major passage like that. For example, in a typical haul-out, what's inspected - what's not? What should I be particularly worried about - or not? What's the minimum inventory of big weather gear?

Now - I know everything above depends. It always does. But let's just go over the generalities so we have a starting place.

If there are other threads that you guys know of that cover this, that's cool, I can do the legwork. I'm actually looking anyway - it just takes forever to wade through a lot of it. Man are you guys longwinded.

(PS - Charlie, I just ordered several other books that have been recommended here. I'll have to get my mom to read them to me, but I bet they'll be cool.)
First thing I'd do is throw Ronnie overboard. So much of sailing is dependent on the sailor. Ronnie couldn't have made that trip if he had been on a new Valiant. The guys a light weight. Frankly smacky- you, right now, are far more prepared for such a journey.
Old 10-30-2008
Last Man Standing

Woohoo! I'm leaving for Nova Scotia tomorrow on the 85 YO Chinese Ferrocement Junk I just found. Sweet! Haul-out-schmaul-out.

Seriously, though, had the weather been fine - he could have easily made it. Even an idiot with no clue at all how to sail can do that. At least that's what this newbie has learned lately.

BTW - so now we've got warp, drogue, and Ronnie on our list...is that right?
Old 10-30-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Woohoo! I'm leaving for Nova Scotia tomorrow on the 85 YO Chinese Ferrocement Junk I just found. Sweet! Haul-out-schmaul-out.

Seriously, though, had the weather been fine - he could have easily made it. Even an idiot with no clue at all how to sail can do that. At least that's what this newbie has learned lately.

BTW - so now we've got warp, drogue, and Ronnie on our list...is that right?
Isn't that Warp - yes, Drogue - yes, Ronnie - no?
Old 10-30-2008
Last Man Standing

Wait - I thought you were advocating using Ronnie as the drogue. Or was it Jody with his deadly rail-tethering technique. Man, this is confusing.
Old 10-30-2008
Thanks Courtney.

I like it, the new "Ron-drogue"! Sweet, how can we market it?
Old 10-30-2008
Last Man Standing

Check with Jeff about placing ads for it in the threads. People won't mind. Surely.

Pain - can you whip something up? This is all I've got:

(Self-edited after pangs of conscience.)

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-30-2008 at 09:43 PM.