Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Great place to sail up here, in the winter, you sail during the day, 60 min later you can be at the largest lit ski area in the US of A. Summer, golf in AM when there is no wind, about 2pm the northerlies kickin for the evening untill about an hr before sunset........what more can you ask for!

Winds 10-125 tomorrow out of the south, same for sat, not sure about sunday yet. Jody better be ready!:B we're on my boat the next three days of racing.

I've been on HG, but not sailed on her as of yet.

marty
Bluto! 10-125 Knots!!!!! Dude, take pictures! This I gotta see!

PNW is a beautiful place. I just couldn't handle the rain. I'll never forget the first time I landed in Portland to find a place to live - the taxi driver said "Welcome to Portland, suicide capitol of the world." I could barely understand her due to the garden hose from the tail pipe taped to her mouth, but it was all good.

Have a great BFS, dude. I'm headed out this weekend as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'll be taken pics, of jody getting keel hauled as he drags my spin in the water behind us! yep, yes sirree! should be fun!

should be 10-15 knots, I think........ouch........note to self, do not think, hurts/pulls brain muscles! anyway, should be a good sailing day, sunday IIRC, the forcast is up to 20, maybe even late sat.

Marty
Old 10-31-2008
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
I know I'm late coming in on this, but Sailingdog and all thanks for the advice earlier on emergency steering alternatives, as a relative newbie especially offshore I learnt ALOT. Maybe it will be the difference that stops me ever or someone else here ending up a Ronnie...

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're welcome... we try to prevent people from ending up like Ronnie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-01-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
First thing to remember, Chall: Chunk your EPIRB over the side. Sail like a man!

Okay - so who's gonna pull BFS this weekend? Anyone down under going big? It's your time to shine fellas!

Also, anyone heard from DuckDuckGoose? She's all about the big. Cool chick that one.

In the mean time, I'll try to think up some more hypothetical emergencies to see if we can Stump The Dog.
Old 11-01-2008
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
For what it's worth I don't actually have an EPIRB! And sadly no BFS here this weekend on account of me being in Melbourne for work and the boat being in Sydney...I have a few BFS's in the planning however.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

Old 11-01-2008
Last Man Standing

Don't work too hard. Melbourne's a very cool city in my opinion. I was there on business a year ago. Had to stay on the river front - but was very impressed. Hope to make it to Sydney some day.

Sail soon.
Old 11-01-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Smacky ...you really need to hire a PR expert....

Listen, man..I really don't think you understood them....nothing wrong with BFS...but to do BFS within your limits is good...to do it and spread the dominoes all over the floor is not....

That is what they are refering to...

Anyway..look here bellow...3 very small people, doing what for them was a BFS...they did it on their own, no interference from me, and sailed my boat a whole 150 miles, in 1.5 days... really..that was BFS for them,

To me, it was boring, and not that BFS..our preceptions of what is BFS varies, because we all have different levels of experience...and what may be a BFS for my wife, may not be for me...for her, when we sail hard, she stays away...it's outside her skills, its a gigantic BFS...

but if I was going to set sail and sail on purpose in any condition that is beyond my skill, and the limit of my boat, is no longer a BFS, it's a freightfull expereince and above all may break my boat and eventually possibly killing me...

This to say...BFS has sub-levels..from smal BFS to gigantic BFS...once you endanger any integrity..it's no longer inside the BFS..it's stupidity....

The edge of BFS walks parallel with the edge of one's expereince..hence the comments about the guy in the "anti-BFS" thread...simply by being outside "his BFS envelope"..he was no longer doing a fun thing, but a life threatening deal...it's hard to explain...

Look bellow...you call that BFS??? they did...

Last edited by Giulietta; 11-01-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2008
Last Man Standing

Giu - I am in TOTAL agreement with EVERYTHING you just said. And I am being completely serious here. What you said mirrors my OP in this thread. So you'll never get an argument from me. You nailed it.

And you have to remember I've never been the one to call someone else's BFS - non-BFS. Quite the other way around.

Great video and great BFS guys. No doubt!

BTW - as for the PR, I'm just kind of like the Mickey Rourke of Sailnet. Good PR, bad PR - it's all PR. Ever see "Barfly"?

"Drinks for all my friends!"

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-01-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Then for some of us, ie today and the end of yesterday, a BFS could be trying to keep the boat moving in 1-2 knots of wind with out turning the motor on to finish a race! Unlike the race a few weeks back with it blowing in the 30 knot range!

Oh well, life goes on! there is always tomorrow, as long as you wake up, and the sun comes up, it's going to be a good day!

Marty
aka "bluto" now?