Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
That's funny Bluto - exactly the same here! We had maybe 7 steady as the sun was setting. And it had been blowing 20 on Thursday and Friday. Ouch. A nice LFS nonetheless. I actually practiced what some of the guys around here mentioned - that is trimming the sails to maximize speed. We were cranking. Ran down a Scarab. Just freakin' creamed 'em. Must have been all that Sailor Jerry's I was tipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Ran down a Scarab. Just freakin' creamed 'em. Must have been all that Sailor Jerry's I was tipping.

ABhaahahhahahahaaa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Today was a different story, winds in the 18-25 range. Decided not to race, as I really would like a min of 5 to do the type of racing today, 6 would make things in this wind sooooo easy, 4 of us, not quite!

Anyway, so 3 of us sailed north home, with the above following winds. SOW guage showed a high of 9.44 on the way home, not bad for a 30'r with a main and 155 up! mid 6's to mid 7's were common on the knotmeter. Hull speed is 6.6, so a good day going home with three of us.

New top speed for the boat with me in control or "out of control" as daughter would say! Was mid 8's, low 7's for original owner. Not a bad day!

marty
Old 11-02-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Bluto - man am I jealous! Of course, I can sail out of control with 5 knots of wind - so I'm not THAT impressed. Seriously, nice BFS, dude.

Hey, BTW, go over to the "Learning to Sail" forum and help the newbie out on his reefing question in his "Wrangling the Girl" post. Sounds like he had a BFS of his own today. Hurry, before Dog tells him to search Sailnet for the answer!
Old 11-03-2008
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
My buddy and I were partners on a Nacra 5.2 cat. 2 crazy surfers that had a penchant for big waves looking for something exciting to do when the wind picked up. We had borrowed beach cats for the Wet Wendsday evening cat races in Morro Bay several times and were undefeated, usually the field was 3-6 boats, all in it for the fun.
Sailing inside the bay was plenty exciting. Usually 15-25 knot winds, a nasty current of 2-4 knots mid-tide in the spring & fall, and a bay full of moored boats and mud banks to try to avoid. We'd flipped the cats plenty of times and were comfortable in a lot of wind and with the boat upside down.
One beautiful fall afternoon after a storm there was some good 20-25 knot post-frontal wind as we guessed it and a nice round 6-8 foot swell and we decided to gear up and head outside the bay.
The harbor entrance to Morro Bay is dominated by a very large rock, called "The Rock". It's really called Morro Rock, Morro is rock in Spanish, so translated it's rock rock. You can see why we call it the rock.
The Rock is almost 400 feet high and probably 600-800 feet in diameter IIRC and immediately adjacent to the channel so it has a dramatic affect on the wind. You can go from a 2-3 knot wind in it's shadow to 30 or more in an instant. We got knocked down by one of those on our way out of the harbor, SOP.
We blew past the entrance buoy at a good clip and trapeezed out, flying a hull close hauled. We wanted to head upwind at first to ensure an easy downwind leg (drift?) if something bad happened. The wind was clean and strong and the swell was big and rolly. We tacked upwind several times not too far from the beach feeling like we would be more comfortable swimming through 8-10 foot waves than we were far out in the ocean. After we had bombed uphill for a couple miles we tried a broad reach. OH MY! We were really flying. I mean fast. We hadn't been out in waves but a couple of times in small 3-4 foot stuff but this was different. Our boat was throwing a rooster tail off of the back of the lee hull and we were getting the boat completely out of the water off of the top of the waves from time to time. After we launched off of a wave the bows would pierce the top of the next wave and the trampoline would be completely awash. One time we bashed through the top of the second wave and a 2' albacore washed across the top of the trampoline, it's tail vibrating and about a billion times a second.
As we buried the bows or even the whole boat in an approaching wave sometimes the impact would be violent enough to just about stop the boat, sending us flying around like tether balls. Once I was thrown completely off in front of the boat and as the boat raced over the top of me I saw that my friend was on his back scrambling around trying to get a hold of something and not succeeding. I saw the mainsheet coming past me in the water and I grabbed it as it went by. The boat was going fast and my friend was falling off so I held on to the mainsheet. I didn't want to swim a 1/4 mile to the boat. He fell off and I held on, the main sheeted in and the boat flipped. We swam over to it and got it upright quickly, the water is always cold enough to motivate you around here.
We tacked upwind some more, almost to the next town up the beach and then we decided to head back. On another broad reach we were really moving and Morgan checked the GPS (the only thing onboard besides us) and it said that we were going 31.1 MPH. WOW! That's fast. We were heading almost the same direction as the waves and we were mostly rolling slowly in relation to them. They were high enough that there was quite a bit less wind between them than on top of them.
As we crested one wave, trapeezed out and flying a hull, a small seal broached out of the water and towards the boat. It hit us amidships and the starboard shroud caught it right in the neck. It got stuck on the boat for a second or two and we could see that it was dead, broken neck. That pretty much killed the mood for us and we headed back in to the harbor.
We looked at the GPS after we put the boat away, we traveled almost 20 miles in 55 minutes and our top speed was 32.5 MPH. Sorry, no knots on that GPS.
Good times!

Last edited by sww914; 11-03-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-03-2008
Last Man Standing

sww, welcome!

And very nice BFS dude! I'm thinking you should name your boat "Greenpeace". Murdering seals and netting tuna - shouldn't be long before you guys are zodiac-ed and boarded by stinky, mad hippies. Also, you ought to have a wake board handy. When you do the MOB/main-sheet grab, you can take the opportunity to throw some nice raleys, tantrums and whirleys off that swell. Maybe even take out a dolphin!

Knots or miles - you guys were shredding. Have you pitch-poled that thing yet?
Old 11-03-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nothing quite like a Beach Cat in a stiff breeze if your stones are big enough for the ride. Shame about the seal though.
Old 11-03-2008
Aspiring to be a Mexican

I haven't seen that boat for 5-6 years. We had it parked on an oyster shell beach in the bay for a couple of years and everything was fine for quite a while but 3-4 years ago somebody stole everything off of the boat that would come loose. mast, boom, every shackle, trampoline, everything but the hulls and crossbars.
I gave up boating for quite a while not too long after that BFS day. I was living aboard a 40' tri with my wife and son and we took my son to Cedars-Sinai to have a ENT that specializes in dwarves (my son has achondroplasia) to have his tonsils removed. He came out to the recovery room way too soon and he had a tracheostomy. The Dr said move off of the boat. If he hits the water he's dead with a trach, so we did just that.
Tracheostomy, now that was a BFS! More storms than you can imagine, we sailed through dozens of hurricanes on that one.
Now it's 9 years later, the kid is good and he's begging to live aboard again.
Here's a pic of my crazy kid at Ripley's in Key West last June next to a model of some formerly world's tallest dude. You can just see the scar on his neck.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Freakin' Sails-lemonsboats-346-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-03-2008
Last Man Standing

sww - awesome. He must be a freakin' tiger, that kid. Definitely BFS. And he's lucky to have a crazy surfer/sailor-dude-dad like you.

As for the boat - I just saw on Greenpeace's website where they are still auctioning off cat parts to raise funds for a new zodiac. Hmmmm.

Good to have you, man.
Old 11-03-2008
Aspiring to be a Mexican

Thanks, It's good to be back sailing.
Greenpeace is wacky, I believe it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.