Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Here's another great BFS from WheresTheBrakes over in the "Learning to Sail" thread. Taken without permission:

"went out yesterday with the guy that i own the boat with (Tab), my wife and my sister... all of whom question my sailing skills..
we had a great day, 70F and 6-8knts...
we sailed for around 5 hours and had a great time...

So good in fact, Tab and I decided we would go out again today, because he doesnt get alot of time off work..

went out without the girls around 11AM and there was no wind..
we went putzing around with the motor to look at the channel and head closer to the bouy near the ocean..
around 1230 there was still no wind and we decided to head back in..
as we started to go back the wind increased (we had the sails up) to 5 then 10 then around 15..

we tore up and down the bay, and tacked and jibed many times, pretending to tack and "round a mark" in a race....

we had her heeled over about 25-30 degrees, and got to experience her heading up into the wind when we went too far over..

what a fantastic day.. "

That's BFS, baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
A supa-sweet sail today! Steady 15 knots with gusts up to 23, clear skies, insanely nice, fall weather. Fully canvassed, Jolly Roger flappin', and we were honkin'! We were sailing so fast I started speaking Portuguese!

Seriously, I had my iPhone's GPS app running - and it showed 13 knots a couple of times. I mean, there's no way in hell we broke 7 in a C27, surely (the iPhone app sucks), but I really wish I had taken a picture of it (would have needed another phone). Sure would have been fun to show that to you, Giu!

I feel like I'm starting to the get the hang of this. Much better balance on the sails than ever before - far less weather helm. What an incredible life this sailing thing is!

Topped it off with a crazy sunset and rum back at the slip. Yeah. baby!

What a great BFS! I LOVE this stuff! Just had to share.

Who else pulled down a sweet sail this weekend?
Old 11-09-2008
Last Man Standing

Hey - another BFS question for you guys...in reading "Heavy Weather Sailing" they go into a pretty detailed discussion of drogues versus parachutes - and the pros and cons between the two. They seem to advocate the parachute technique off the bow (either directly into the oncoming seas - or 15-20 degrees off using a bridle as the Pardys do) - VERSUS the warp/drogue approach (stern-to-seas) as the safest way to ride out a storm.

Would you guys concur with that bow-on parachute approach (especially those of you who've actually tried both)? I'm curious about this because I remember Skip Allen's trip where he was using a drogue and was very worried about getting his hatchboards blown out (and was getting repeatedly pooped) - and I wondered by he wouldn't have gone bow-to-seas. Just curious.
Old 11-09-2008
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
I got in a shakedown sail in my new to me (free) Flying Scott. It was blowing pretty good, 15-20 with bigger gusts. My wife has sailed like twice before and my son 3-4 times since he can remember. It was a bit too much for them and I should have waited until a nicer day but I consulted a good friend and he said "when in doubt, sail."
I haven't piloted a sailboat in about 9 years but everything went well. We were really screaming along, we passed everything in the bay.
I would have reefed down but none of the 3 mains that the boat came with have a reef point so we dipped the rail quite a bit. I was shocked to learn that under pressure I still remember the names of everything, but it doesn't really help if your crew doesn't know the names as well.
I sounded like Don Vito sometimes trying to think of another name for a halyard.
AHH DDDUUUH Duh the DUHH Duhh line there on the DH DUH mast thingy there.
Old 11-09-2008
Last Man Standing

Reef-schmeef, dude, that sounds like a sweet BFS, sww! I saw a couple of boats today with a reef in the main - but I just couldn't do it! It was TOO FREAKIN' FUN!

Another 5 knots and I'm sure I would have changed my mind. And don't worry about the kid - he will pick it up. I have 2 young boys myself and it's so cool when the older one is at the helm and I tell him to turn to port, or grab a sheet, or halyard - and see him do it. Hell, I don't even know what that stuff is, I'm just readin' it off of Sailnet!

BTW - a free boat always sails better doesn't it! Did you know CharlieCobra got "Oh Joy" for $20? You guys must be livin' charmed lives!
Old 11-10-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nice sailing guys. Yeah smack, it does get easier as ya go along and just when you think you have it all figured out, along comes conditions that make you wonder about that. Me? I ran around buying the last tools needed to finish the Chevelle. After 18 months of messing with it, it's time to get it done. I won't be doing much else than keeping Oh Joy's bilges dry until I move her to the barn.
Old 11-10-2008

farmboy is on a distinguished road
down the rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Who else pulled down a sweet sail this weekend?
Considering the boat is in the barn and its snowing out, not much came out of this weekend. However, I did just get this pic scanned in. My girl snapped this one on a particularly sweet tack late this season.

Shark24 #337
Old 11-11-2008
Last Man Standing

Farmboy - that's a tear-jerker dude. Just beautiful. Hard sailing is SOOOOOOO much better than politics. It's just plain transcendent!

B.....F......S!

Charlie - I hear you. I'm just waiting for my next humbling. A Chevelle AND "Oh Joy" - I definitely admire your appetite. What have you heard from Ccam lately?
Old 11-11-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nada, I don't expect to hear from him until Cabo or after he's sobered up at least.
Old 11-11-2008
Last Man Standing

He'll probably hate me for doing it since he's a modest salt, and because it might not have been that big a deal to him - but I just can't help it! This was an unmitigated BFS related in another thread and definitely needs to be part of the lore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

Oddly enough, last weekend I did a bit of heavy weather sailing myself, albeit perhaps not to the BFS standards. We were transiting south from Drakeís Bay to San Francisco in 27-35 knot winds, seas averaging 15 feet with a two foot wind wave. What made it really snotty was the wave period was only 12 seconds and the amplitude 7.4 (anything over 7 is breaking seas). I can tell you running is a hell of a lot easier than beating through it. (We originally wanted to go through the Bonita Channel. But when we saw some really big breakers inside the channel, we opted to claw our way off shore and then go around the Potato Patch and come in through the main shipping channel Ė who knew it would be breaking there too.) We were sailing in a C36MkII which performed flawlessly, even when we fell off a wave or two. I was able to steer out of several broach situations. We flooded the cockpit once when a wave broke directly above us and had other numerous close calls. We surfed the heck out of a bunch of waves and broke the 10 knot threshold multiple times and once hit 15 when we came off of a particularly big and nasty wave. We made the 40NM passage in a little over five hours which placed our average speed for the day to around hull speed. Iíve got a couple of photos of our buddy boat, another C36 from earlier in the day but my skills as a digital photographer are some what lacking. Most of the shots are just the masthead sticking out of the wave.

You're the man, George.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.