Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Just finished reading my own copy of HWS (6th Edition - by Peter Bruce). You'll love it. It is what it's all about, dude.

Now it's on to my signed copy of "The Proving Ground" (I had the Bruces mixed up - hence the edit). Some sick sailing that!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 11-18-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Charlie,

The pic shows on my puter, but you're probably looking at a puter at the Lazy B, and they probably do not allow pics to show?!?!?!?!

marty
Old 11-18-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Bluto - just looks like the link is gacked. What are you workin' at a Dude Ranch now?
Old 11-18-2008

Well, not sure why that photo is not working for you folks, it works for me!?!?!?!?!

Anyway, fish pics of foulweather bluff, i'm the 2nd from top on left hand side. Plus many others finishing in 30'ish knots of wind.

marty
Old 11-19-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Wow! They finished in alphabetical order!
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 11-19-2008
Last Man Standing

Very cool pics bluto. Looks like a big day out there, dude. It always does my heart good to see so much canvass up in 30+.

I have to say my favorite boat is "Bob". Looks like a lousy fighter after a hard 5 rounds. Dirty sails, etc. Very cool. Or were those Somali pirates chasing you guys around?

Also "Carol Jean" - was she knocked down? Or just sliding into home like Giu got his boat to do in that killer photo of his?

Great stuff.
Old 11-19-2008

Not sure if Bob's sails are dirty, or if the jib looks like a North kevlar and possibly a carbon main. Then again whom knows. You did the the tear, or should that be the 2' or so of main sail missing on White Cloud? Also Dejodenda's Kyrie is in there.

I do not think Carol Jean was knocked down at that time. I did not hear about Mel getting knocked down. I do know his engine would not start, and had to sail out in front of the marina until a tow could get him in. Euphoria's outboard quit just about 100 yd if that before her slip, I towed her to with in 2-3' of rope being handed off to folks on a dock, and a wind pushed her and almost myself into the rock breakwater. Finally got the marina to bring a power boat over to pull Euphoria off the break water. That was the worst part of the day for me, almost but not quite!

My wife whom was on committee boat where those pics were taken from, did say a couple of the bigger boats either got knocked down, or were heeled over so far when close together at the finish that some rigging got caught. Lady Bug rounded up at a far corner and hit another boat. She came in with damage to the bow. Fun day needless to say..........

I am pretty sure this set was posted too, but maybe not on this thread. damage pics
Old 11-20-2008
Last Man Standing

Okay - after careful analysis of BFS (clicked through a couple of pages as I was taking my last swig of leftover warm beer this morning) - I have broken down the global BFS scoring data as follows (scale of 1-10):

Westies - 8.83
Easties - 8.12
Gulfies - 2.88
Supernorthies - 7.15
Supersouthies - 5.67
Eurpies - 4.19
Others - 0.46

So it appears at this point in time that the Westies are rockin' the house with BFS. There have been a few good showings from the other groups (shout outs to Dell of the "Easties" and Farmboy of the "Supernorthies") - but all in all, the 2008 BFS Cup is looking like a lock.

Who's the spokesman for the Westies so I'll know where to ship the cup in January?
Old 11-20-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
well considering the population demographics here at sailnet (all US and few foreigners), and that appart from me only one or two more Eurpies in here...the rate of Eurpies to USies is 103.000 USies to 10 Eurpies...

I won....I guess
Old 11-20-2008
Last Man Standing

Giu, no kidding. You're carrying the weight of the entire continent AND sub-continent on your shoulders dude. You're like Sarkozy or something!

I mean, your sails are big, no doubt, but your continent's bigger. You did get some serious early help from DuckDuckGoose in Ireland. But I think she got tired of all the whining and moaning around here and hit the road. And don't forget the point or two from that Turkish guy, BodrumFSail.

So, the Eurpies did pull down a respectable score, but alas, we don't grade on the Bell Curve here. Highest score takes the cup.

Anyway, don't fret, I totally feel your pain. Just look at us Gulfies. We're pathetic. I think it's only me, PB and CD. I gotta do something about that. I can't keep carrying these guys.