Big Freakin' Sails - Page 69 - SailNet Community
 340Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #681 of Old 11-20-2008

The problem daddy, is CD only uses his boat at the dock barbecuing! So you're handicapped right there. So what can I say.

I was thinking CC as he is out the most, but ABJ did get two knockdowns at FWB. On the other hand, I got a 3rd in that race, no knockdowns, but the rail was in the water on the upwind leg more than I would have liked........

Anyway, would be at work today, but installing a roof top patio in 20-30 MPH winds, rain going sideways......better day to sail than install 18x18 concrete pavings stones on pedastools.

Oh well, always bookwork to do when one owns the business on days like this!

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #682 of Old 11-20-2008 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Dock
Yeah, I like the idea of CC too. He's solid. And the cup will be something for him to admire while he's taking breaks from gluing "Oh Joy" back together. Also he DOES have the most whacked photo thus far with that fender fly. 'Nuff said.

Your humility is admirable Bluto, but personally I'd have to put you in over ABJ. The point is to ideally push it TO the limit (rail buried) - not past (spreader buried). And anyway, he got a spanking for the whole tether thing. Maybe next year.

As soon as I get the cup in, I'll post the photo.

Keep it up you crazy Westies! And just remember that the scores can change at any moment!

PS - CD work with me here, dude! We've only got one more month to best these chumps! Go sailing for crying out loud!
post #683 of Old 11-20-2008

Another SN'r out on the FWB day was David, ie dejodenda. He was sailing with just him and 14 yr old daughter, did pretty well too as I recall.

Someone else was out up north daysailing for the 2nd or 1st time out in just launched boat.......

anyway, at lest it was not a friggen huricane, learned a few things, next year will get the SJ setup to work, that would have helped bunch over the 110 and double reef, or take down the main next time. have sailed that way with twin sons in similar conditions, along with just a single reefed main.

anyway, back to attempting to balance biz checkbook!

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #684 of Old 11-20-2008
the pointy end is the bow

Quote:
Someone else was out up north daysailing for the 2nd or 1st time out in just launched boat.......
That was Stillraining. I'm quite familiar with the waters and conditions he was sailing in and his description was dead on.

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
post #685 of Old 11-20-2008 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Dock
BFS Cup

I'm liking it. What do you guys think? 15.5" of pure BFS bragging rights. Then we pick next year's group and pass it on - complete with "where in the world is the cup" photos. This could be fun.

post #686 of Old 11-20-2008

Ray,

Thanks for the reminder as to whom........

Not sure about that trophy dad, looks to........."ordinary!" you know, if we are going to have a trophy for a BFS sail, it needs to be extraordinary!

Not that my vote counts.............so take it for what you have now just paid for, ie NOTHING! HEE HEE

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #687 of Old 11-20-2008 Thread Starter
Last Man Standing

Dock
C'mon dude, just imagine slamming back a Dark and Stormy outta this thing. It's simple, clean, and mean.

However, I'm definitely open to other ideas. As long as Sailaway doesn't fru-fru it up too much.

And anyway - this one was already taken:

post #688 of Old 11-20-2008

you mean we can not steal that one!?!?!?!?! dang it.

Ok, so how abouts an equal similar look! Not that I will win it or anything, but need something out of the ordinary for this award. Ok, back to your regularly scheduled checkbook balancing act! Can't do an ignore, as this is NOT and ignore thread..............

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #689 of Old 11-20-2008

Sorry guys - I'll be draggin ya down - you know we go faster with rails out of the water...So, to make up for it I am ordering a 300% Genoa... big enough sail ??

-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

post #690 of Old 11-20-2008
On the hard

Here I sit looking at white horse and striations of foam on the lake out front with it blowing 30+ and me with my boat on the hard. It SUCKS! It'd be FAST out there today for sure.... While that photo was cool, the trip with Fredia on our May cruise and that beam reach across the strait in a clear air Gale was much wilder. Sorry, no pics. The camera was inside and Fredia was too scared to go get it, that and she was getting Mal de Mar when all the way in the cabin. It was nuts! Surfing along the faces of waves on the beam with the Staysail and full Main up in 40 knots of breeze against a 3 knot ebb. We saw 11.8 along one nasty wave and made the trip from San Juan Island to Port Townsend in four hours. Over my shoulder to Starboard and it's all green with froth (on the high side), back to Port and it's a gaping hole. No breaks from the helm cause Fredia couldn't handle it and was too afraid to come off the ladder and out there with me. Damndest sail I ever had and it beat the delivery sail by a mile for adrenaline shots per minute. I kept expecting Oh Joy to trip over her keel at those speeds but she just sliced on through. It was the only time I hollered at Davey Jones since I started sailing.

Yep, bloein' out there:

Weather Conditions for:
Smith Island, WA (SISW1)
Elev: 50 ft; Latitude: 48.32000; Longitude: -122.84000

Current time: Thu, 20 Nov 13:43 pm (PST)
Most Recent Observation: Thu, 20 Nov 1:00 pm (PST)
Time Temp. Wind Wind Sea Level
Direction Speed Pressure
(PST) (f) (mph) (mb)
20 Nov 1:00 pm 49 SSE 31G36 1011.4
20 Nov 12:00 pm 49 S 32G38 1011.5
20 Nov 11:00 am 49 SSE 45G52 1009.5
20 Nov 10:00 am 51 SSE 46G52 1008.0
20 Nov 9:00 am 51 SSE 26G29 1007.9
20 Nov 8:00 am 51 ESE 24G26 1006.1
20 Nov 7:00 am 53 SE 24G26 1007.4
20 Nov 6:00 am 52 SE 23 1008.4
20 Nov 5:00 am 51 ESE 15G17 1009.6

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 11-20-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.