Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008
SkipperB

SkipperB is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the Sydney 38 has a lot of spar and keel. They are offshore racing boats and are great if you can have 8-9 on the rail but we only had 4 total crew and two of them were mostly useless on the crazy leg. Thank god for the 96" carbon fiber wheel that is 2 3/4" diameter as the autopilot was useless in those conditions. One bad thing about a skinny keel with a bulb, heaving to is basically impossible. Biggest issue is the hundreds of unmarked islands off shore with no lights or anything on them and GPS is spotty.
Still have some scars literally, from that one and it was incredible. I was just 50 then and don't know if have another one in me, but will try if the opportunity.
My planned Atlantic crossing was for that year but still need a bigger boat for that. I keep looking but sellers are unrealistic with their pricing on ocean going yachts. My Pearson is too light for a crossing.

These posts are great and wish had more time to participate... Enjoy the banter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
SkipperB - welcome, dude! It's great to have you. Definitely BFS material.

I want to hear more about the down under sailing. I just finished "The Proving Grounds" and have nothing but respect for you and others who sail those waters. Holy crap!

And, by the looks of your adventures, you will vastly improve the BFS Cup standings of the Eastie crew. They need all the help they can get.
Old 11-24-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
This guy is a wee bit crazy i think he should win the competition if anyone should our sail was big but no one can compare to his trip
i think a hankerchief is bigger than that sail he has up yes hes still just breakin right through the waves
yes i was on bene's trip and nominate our trip for second
lots of fun thanks bene

Holy crap, Wuffles! Is there a boat under that stuff? Nice pic dude. And impressive BFS of your own. Hey, let's get the "Saltface" pic up ASAP.
Old 11-24-2008
SkipperB

Smackdaddy,

Glad to participate. I have only been ocean sailing for about 17 years but did a lot of lake sailing as a youth. I have had some interesting days as New England sailing is right up there with the best. If you want some laid back stuff the Caribbean is the only place to go. My company services Sir Richards place on Necker Island in the BVI so have spent some time there.
About 10 years ago I was winding up a trip from Portsmouth (NH) around Cape Cod and some time in the islands (MV and N). We waited for the tide to make the Canal (laying over at anchor in Hadley Harbour - a most beautiful anchorage). We made through the CC Canal with little trouble (it runs 10 knots there) and into Cape Cod Bay.
The CG put out a safe harbor call but we were in the middle of the bay and radar showed a heavy squall line approaching quickly. I was younger and crazier so we sailed hard until the front was only about 5 miles off. We doused sail and secured just in time. The guage read 69 knots at the height of it and we only lost a few boat parts but lightning was literally hitting the water all around us and amazed we did not get hit as no other boats on radar anywhere near us. Despite the scare, after the line passed we set sail and made Marblehead in time for dinner. The boat was a mess but we dined on shore and partied with the MOOG crews who were there. I don't know if anyone on this has sailed there but with almost 2000 boats (mostly sail) in the harbor, it is quite a site. We had good dock cred since all knew we had come through the squall.
Will post some others next time I get time. I have about 14,000 miles under the keel with ocean sailing and although that is nothing compared to many others I know and have sailed with, a lot of them were not easy passages.

Thanks and will check in whenever I can.
Old 11-24-2008
Last Man Standing

Sounds good Skip. Come back every chance you get.

I actually did a bit of work for Sir Richard a while back on a couple of different projects. Haven't met him - but dig is companies.

Give him a noogie for the old Smackdaddy next time you see him. He won't know who in the hell you're talking about and you'll get fired on the spot - but it'll be fun.
Old 11-24-2008
SkipperB

Smackdaddy,
Only met him once as we work through Virgin Management who handles all the Virgin companies needs worldwide. My company provides commercial satellite and network services of all kinds. I just wish we could get Virgin Blue (his Australian airline) to operate the same here. They just started early this year but US regulations will never let them operate like they can down under.
It is an amazing place. You have to adjust as stars are almost all different and the sun is oriented north so most things are the opposite of what we are used to in the northern hemisphere.
Old 11-25-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Smack, this was taken on that same sail as the pic you like:

and another

Last edited by CharlieCobra; 11-25-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2008
Last Man Standing

Charlie - you definitely don't need to convince me that you got it goin' on. Nice pics.

However, you do need to rally your fellow Westies and go vote in the BFS Cup 2008 poll. You guys are getting slaughtered over there!
Old 11-26-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Smack,

I'm having trouble voting. Loyalty says I should vote for the East Coast, but I have a lot of respect for Giu and some of the others. I simply have to abstain from that poll. BFS is BFS, and location doesn't matter. Wherever you are, you'll find it whenever you can (or it will find you).

Regards
Old 11-26-2008
Last Man Standing

Awww Bene, dude. You're going to be a Conscientious Objector? You're going to burn your BFS Draft Card?

Fair enough, a man has to live by his conscience (wimpy, wambly though it may be). Actually, I'm ex-Peace Corps, so what can I say?

Or wait! Is this actually an insidious plot to play the "independent" and be wined and dined by each of the competing contingents to pimp your vote? Smart, my man, very smart. I think you'll enjoy the Portuguese wine and cigars. As for us Gulfies - all we have is a couple of warm cans of Lone Star and pork rind I found in my sofa cushions.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.