Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
RING

RING

RING

RING

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Chall,

That sounds like an awesome BFS to me dude. I'm thinking Giu has a question or two regarding the accuracy of the Beneteau anonemeter. But you have to admire his graphical prowess nonetheless.

I particularly like the part about the "BFS Trance". It's really the way it works isn't it? The desire to push taking over - taking you to the edge of disaster, at which point you spill your booze and come to your senses. And, of course, it always helps to have a sensible first mate. But you gotta push - man - you gotta push!

All in all, quality BFS, dude! You and your Oz mates really do need to go over to the BFS Cup 2008 poll thread and start helping out the "Supersouthies" contingency in the standings. You guys are sailing big - no doubt - but the numbers don't show it.

Finally, I'll have the BFS Shop up and running in a few weeks. We'll get that sticker and burgee to you, mate! Keep throwin' down!

PS - It's always good to have bikini-clad crew. Always.
Old 11-28-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Giu - which part set off the alarm? We need to dial this thing in. And are those numbers true or apparent?
Old 11-28-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Great BFS write-up chall! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Maybe I should vote for the Down-Unders? That was some good BFS!
Old 11-28-2008
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
I have always enjoyed Giu artistic efforts and humour.
Im not sure Im even totally understanding this one however.....If your right Smack and he is questioning the wind speeds quoted in my post, I direct everyone's attention to the following link.

Hamilton Island, Qld - November 2008 - Daily Weather Observations

This is the ACTUAL wind speeds recorded by the Australian Bureau of Meteorology on Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays. Have a look at Friday 21st November 2008, the day in question. Its easy to find, its the one with the really big numbers in red. Obviously I wrote parts of my story very tongue in cheek, I however am not a liar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Chall..no one called you a liar....this is the BFS thread after all..even if you lied...(which I am not saying you did)..but even if...you were not the first...

nice chart..as evidence..no need really..but since you showed it...
By the way..here we measure wind in Knots, not Km/hr..why am I saying this??

I have a 9.5 foot draft, and a boat for wind...I can't sail at 40 knots, neither can anyone I know...we are all that bad...

above 40 knots...I have no sail on, unless I have 10 guys on the rail...

So everytime I read about people sailing in 40 and 50 knots....I read every line very slowwwwwwly, to make sure I understood.

Last edited by Giulietta; 11-28-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2008
Last Man Standing

Yo Giu - what's the issue with knots over ground vs. knots over agua for boat speed? Doesn't the former present more accurate speed as it's not affected by current, etc.? It seems like a GPS would be more accurate in this regard than a speedo on a boat. No?

Chall - Giu's basic premise is...if he can't do it - it can't be done. There's also the issue of the BFS Cup - so he's a little on edge. So don't sweat it. Then again, the knots vs. kmh is a valid point. I say keep it at 50 and have another beer.

Bene - just vote for someone dammit!
Old 11-28-2008

I am like the guy at the end of the bar..siting drunk...no one cares about..he just calls merda de boi to everything that is said in the bar (true or not)...somehow sometime..he will be right...
Old 11-28-2008

GPS measures position of a receiver in regards to a satelite, can't measure wind speeds..

As far as winds measured in land...I don't sail in land..I sail on the water...

2 to 10 miles off the coast.

I never cared much for land observations and meteorological tables..I look at my st60, set it in True..that is what I see....TRUE..not APPARENT....

Thecnically it is stronger at sea because there are no objects and terrain deviations to make changes or cause drag..but generally wind also cools down at sea, and gusts have a different behaviour tha in land where montains etc, can cause deviations to airflows and velocities...normally they place these wnd measuring stations way up high, where winds are also consitently higher..as you know

READ HERE

READ HERE

Last edited by Giulietta; 11-28-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2008
Last Man Standing

Hey - look, Giu - at least you had the guts to call it here in this thread...right or wrong. There are plenty of others that hide in other threads and just whisper MDB like old ladies. That's kind of pathetic if you ask me.

You're always welcome at the BFS bar, dude. Even if you don't know how to sail in 40 knots.

PS - I was talking about boat speed - not wind speed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.