Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
If you go to SA..the motto there is..

no picture?? Didn't happen...

And they don't care about pictures of waves slapping the hull an high heels..they want the white caps...the wave behind you, and the not/wind meter shot...even then...gets voted...

Too many drunk old men at the end of that bar....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2008
No longer on Sailnet

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Firstly, I am sorry I sounded far more defensive than I mean't too.

Secondly after having a close look at the Bureau data (after first converting it to knots of course ) It acutally kind of supports your point. The numbers I give were as they were reading on the bene's instruments, however the bureau seems to be saying that the worst of it at Hamo island anyway was more like 35-40 knots. Also the missing detail from my original post is that by the end of it, in order to make our anchorage I had only a heavily reefed main up and was motorsailing.....

Giu, from what I read from you on here, I have enormous respect for you as a sailor and a individual. I have gotten so much out of your posts, I seems to me that you are the guy at the end of the bar siting drunk, giving everyone crap, but when you do put down the glass and turn to bar with a serious look on your face everyone shuts up and listens. I say 'bartender, pour that guy down there another' and lets start arguing over our drinks about imperial vs metric.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Firstly, I am sorry I sounded far more defensive than I mean't too.

Secondly after having a close look at the Bureau data (after first converting it to knots of course ) It acutally kind of supports your point. The numbers I give were as they were reading on the bene's instruments, however the bureau seems to be saying that the worst of it at Hamo island anyway was more like 35-40 knots. Also the missing detail from my original post is that by the end of it, in order to make our anchorage I had only a heavily reefed main up and was motorsailing.....

Giu, from what I read from you on here, I have enormous respect for you as a sailor and a individual. I have gotten so much out of your posts, I seems to me that you are the guy at the end of the bar siting drunk, giving everyone crap, but when you do put down the glass and turn to bar with a serious look on your face everyone shuts up and listens. I say 'bartender, pour that guy down there another' and lets start arguing over our drinks about imperial vs metric.

Chall, look man, I swear I didn't want to be offensive either, and if I was..I appologize...by the above post, I have gained more respect for you than if you had sailed in 60 knots (that for the guys in the PNW)

like I said, this is BFS, and most that come here and read what is here already know that there is a lot of merda de boi here...sadly not many can see it, and believe what they read...(which includes my crap too)...which is then bad, because it just brings more inaccuracy and MDB....

Truth is, I live in a place where winds ares trong all of the year except in the summer (that's why we flee south), and sometimes it blows really really hard, and makes hair grow in your chest..we have swells and waves that are sometimes coordinated with the wind, with intervals of less than 10 seconds..

I have been here all my life...and I have learn to see what is possible and what is not....we are not VOR racers or Vendee or transat people..we are normal mortals with poop boats...really...

that is why, I said..when I read anyone saying..."oh..me..I sail all the time in 30...or 40...."..

my first reaction is..he's reading apparent, he is destroying the boat, he was caught in a mid Atlantic storm and had to ride it out...(and the reef BS doesn't work here because you will only make it with a storm sail)..or..he lies....now politely called MDB....

By the way...look what it looks like here tomorrow..right there where it says waves...that's 22 feet, and 30 knot winds, measured at the shore line...do I go out?? not if you don't pay me the value of my boat....

NOW...Imperial drinking measurements..yes..you defenately win there!!1

Nice talking to you..you are indeed a gentleman...if I can be of any assistance to you, just ask....
Old 11-28-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
... Bene - just vote for someone dammit!
I'm waiting for the Portuguese wine, some cigars from the Carribean, lobbying dollars for my re-election... No wait, this isn't a public office. This is BFS. OK, I'll vote.

Eenie, meenie, minie, moe..... DONE!
Old 11-28-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Kilometers/hour is about as useless a measurement as tits are on a bull unless you happen to be driving on a road that has a speed limit posted in kilometers/hour. ALL nautical charts have measurements in degrees, minutes and seconds where a second corresponds to a nautical mile (there are no Metric nautical charts that I know of). In short, you can use the Metric system to build a boat but leave it at the dock or in your toolbox when you are on the water. The truth bending Welshman, Tristan Jones wrote a nice tirade of the Metric system that I am paraphrasing.
We all (should) have our BS (merde de toro) meters on at the high sensitivity setting while reading this thread as we all (should) know that it it can be difficult to gauge wave height, boat and wind speeds. That is why we have instruments to measure such things as our senses can't predictably figure it out. It seems to me a simple mistake of the Aussie, Chall, to have quoted kilometers/hour for the wind speeds he was in. After all there are nearly 2 KM in one nautical mile so 60 kilometers per hour is more like 34 knots of wind.
Hell and be damned, even my beloved NOAA national data buoy center keeps historical wind speeds in meters/second, which is fine for scientific research but one needs to know that 25 meters/second = about 50 knots. National Data Buoy Center
Apparently there even are some buoys around OZ in their network. Have a look.
Nice account of your sail Chall and keep posting Oz style, just leave the kilometers per hour out of it.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2008
No longer on Sailnet

Thanks Caleb.
I think your right it is a scientific rather than nautical way of seeing things. None of the numbers mentioned by me were in km/h, we do use knots Downunder as well l promise! The only thing in km/h was the Australian Bureau of Meteorolgy's page I linked to. Being a branch of the Australian Government, i'm not sure what my chances will be of convincing them to change their ways.

Cheers Giu for also being a gentleman and for the offer of assistance.
To clear something up, we were not sailing in it well at all, It was chaos and we certainly weren't getting anywhere, I guess part of my point was that we were overpowered, I was overwhelmed by the conditions and well, I was stupid.

Now funny you mentioned 60 knots, let me tell you all about the day the beloved and I were doing a spinnaker run in 60 knots.......

Last edited by chall03; 11-29-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2008
No longer on Sailnet

Here is the best photographic evidence I could find sorry. The first two were taken earlier around the time the ST40 was reading about 30 knots I think....
The last one was taken later that day after were sailing anchored.
I don't have any from time when I believe we were getting more like 40+ knots.

Tell me what you think

Last edited by chall03; 11-29-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-29-2008

Chall..nice photos...true wind, and AMAZING WATER colour....

That is defenately over 30 knots wind..yes Sir..it is....

since you weree kind enough to show your real true stuff..(and seen by the water surface and white caps), I show you one too..a 30 knot true downwind run..(I ahve the beating into it also, but am saving it for a later occasion)

Old 11-29-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Whoooooah! Gotta say, Chall - that looks like some pretty slammin' conditions to me. And I think the self-appointed BFS Grand Inquisitor has finally conceded. Your photos look harrier than his video.

B.....F.....S.

Now get TDW to go over to the BFS Cup poll and throw down some votes for the Supersouthies. You guys are rockin' the house!
Old 11-29-2008
SkipperB

SkipperB is on a distinguished road
Chall03,

Although 50 might be pushing it, my experience sailing out of the Whitsundays had a similar ring. What many do not realize is that there is virtually nothing between Antartica and the east coast of Australia. Tasmania and New Zealand don't really matter. Most weather on the planet originates from the Souther pole area and with 1000's of miles of fetch, it comes up in a hurry. They are fronts, not necessarily storms, but they pack a strong punch. The only real saving grace is that the water temps make minute by minute dowsing more survivable. My trip was from beginning September to end of September 2006. You can look at historical archives of the front and although wind speeds several hundred miles offshore are not so traceable, it is quite common to have a burst from 15-20 to 30+ in no time at all. The fronts last for many days or even weeks especially in their Spring which was when we were there. The other factor is there are few markers once out of the Whitsundays and many, many islands off shore with no markers, lights, or anything which makes night sailing in BFS conditions especially challenging.
Where did you anchor on that run? When we got hit south of Lindeman Island, ther really was nowhere to go. Our intent was Brisbane but that and most options were not tenable due to conditions and direction.
As in most open ocean areas, things can change fast and always best to reef early, you can always shake them back out but reefing over 25 knots is always an adventure, especially with a loose footed main.
Good reading on these posts though.

SkipperB