Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008
SkipperB

SkipperB is on a distinguished road
Chall03
Towing a dinghy in those conditions always an added challenge. Did you get some ballast in her to keep it in the water? I learned long ago to store them. Nothing more annoying that the dinghy flopping around on her side or upside down, and dragging the outboard in the salt. You were lucky not to lose her.
Good sailing.

SkipperB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2008
SkipperB

SkipperB is on a distinguished road
Towing dinghy in BFS conditions NOT RECOMMENDED.
Dinghy can serve as drogue until becomes airborne at about 30+ knots. Also if down wind can become severed or attached to backstay or helmsman.
Sailing downwind in 1995 in severe conditions had 9'6" AB blown into backstay and sliced open. Fortunately caught before outboard submerged but $3000 loss of dinghy and usable contents.

You can be crazy but still careful.

SkipperB
Old 11-29-2008

chall03 will become famous soon enough
We ended up in Nara Inlet, which is supposedly the best all weather anchorage in the Whitsundays....

I do agree with you SkipperB about the dinghy with the benefit of hindsight. Essentially the theme of my tale was that we were caught unawares to some degree, and I was at the time being a BFS dumbass in several respects.

However what ultimately stopped me stowing the dinghy in the end, was the fact that we were on a charter yacht and when I mentioned stowing the dinghy to the charter company on the radio they point blank told me don't try it....I reasoned it was both their dinghy and their yacht, so be it. Particularly off the wind however I was very worried about the dinghy surfing down a wave and into the back of yacht.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Just to echo SkipperB, re: towing dinghies

On a sail I did earlier this year from Tortola, BVI to the Turks & Caicos Islands on a big Beneteau we lost and then found our escaped dinghy. The full story is perhaps not a BFS as the winds were not much above 'normal' or force 3 - 4 but more of a normal ocean sail (NOS). Here is my full writeup: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruisi...gry-ocean.html
The thumbnail account has to do with the dinghy which had a bridle line on it but no official towing bridle. The owner had used a bowline tied around the line at the bow of the dinghy instead. After 3 days of being on normal ocean sailing waves (4 - 6') the line chafed and the dinghy left us. Fortunately the motor was safely attached to the stern rail or push pit. However, the new Walker Bay gray inflatable began to get indistinguishable from the white caps in our wake. I was the sole smoker on board out of a total crew of 2 and hence I was smoking in the cockpit. I noticed the sound that was missing rather then the sight of the missing dinghy first. I called the skipper off his seat of ease below in the cabin with one word: "dinghy".
He came back to the cockpit and we bashed back up wind less then 1000 yards form the point the dingy's lines had let go and we snagged it and retied the line as we were within 10 miles of our intended destination on Providenciales.
To be fair, there were no dinghy davits on this 50+ foot boat and stowing it on the foredeck would have been something of a pain but I learned a few things about towing a dinghy (or dink as us Yanks sometimes call it) in any kind of swell.
1 - It is always best to haul your dinghy up in davits or up on the deck if possible.
2 - If you must tow it be sure to check the towing lines regularly and I would even recommend an extra 'rescue' line to it.
3 - Spend the $100 for the official bridle package as a bowline tied across another line will part eventually due to chafing, no matter how high tech that line may be.

Chall, since the charter company said not to do anything about the dinghy you did what you needed to do. They pay insurance money to cover the eventual loss of the dinghy and their insurance may not cover renters doing other damage to the boat whilst trying to stow the dinghy on deck - which could have come out of your pocket.

It always amazes me how an owner of a $100+ K boat would skimp on the small stuff but I guess that after you have paid that much you would rather replace an item (dinghy) then risk damage to your expensive property. On the other hand (OTOH) you can see the boat bucks piling up sooo much faster with a big boat - multiple heads, thicker lines for running rigging etc, etc. That is why charters are not cheap as being cheap means you are skimping on something that you probably should have.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 11-29-2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: **** pit
Old 11-30-2008
Optimist,a small big boat

OPTIMANIA has a spectacular aura about OPTIMANIA has a spectacular aura about
my BFS today, but the visdeo is not good

but the wind was very strong and cold fronts were 3.

Old 11-30-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Okay - this kid FREAKIN' ROCKS!!! Talk about BFS!

FRED - YOU ARE THE MAN! I honestly have a great deal of respect for your sailing abilities. Seriously. I hope me and my sons learn to sail half as good as you. Great work, dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIMANIA View Post
hello

today I asked dad to film for the BFS. Was very cold and the waves were very big, but yesterday was worse.

today I fell of my boat and my dad laughed..

good to see here, but the image s in not good, so sorry

POR2320 Fred

Old 11-30-2008

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Nice video Fred It does look a little on the chilly side for me...

Old 11-30-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Awesome Video Fred. Congrats!!

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 11-30-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Big
Fred
Sail

!!!!!!!

I love
Old 12-01-2008
Still gettin his sea legs

pmoreira is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to pmoreira
Great stories here

I though I'd share two of my rookie-meets-roughish-weather experiences...

I've been sailing with my wife and some friends on their Beneteau First Class 8. Last weekend we went out, 5 of us, expecting 15kts of wind, and waves around 1,5 or 2 meters... at least that was the weather reports we had...

So head out, hoist the main and a #1 Genoa, and all is well for all of 20 minutes, till the wind starts picking up and getting gusty. We're pointing as high as we can and heeling 25, 30 degrees when the gusts hit... so it's time for a smaller Genoa, right?... Except that the sail bags somehow were mixed up and we end up hoisting a bigger #1 instead of a #2... you can imagine how well that went.

Wind was up to 25Kts by now, so it's time to reef the main and get a smaller genoa. So I get to have a practical lesson on reefing taught while I'm hugging the mast from the windward side, and my friend, who is teaching me is on the leeward side of the mast teaching me how to reef the main while trying to stay on his feet.

Then it's time for yours truly to head up to the bow and lower that monster and hoist a #3 while getting drenched in spray...

Finally we get to take it a little easier and enjoy a beautiful sunset...

We ended up having to drop the genoa on the way back... wind was going on 30Kts, I think... we we did some folks out with just the storm jib.

It was also my first time out at night.