Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree273Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008
Banned

dgdvm1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Jody - I'll await confirmation from your "witness". And my sincere apologies for insulting your dog by comparing him/her to a VP candidate. That was just wrong.

Now back to my "weeeeeeeed....whites and wine" of a job.
Those weren't fish net stockings....they were actual fish nets (the smell should have given it away). I do have to confirm the story - one wouldn't think Jody would be enough cushion to save that Basset Hound but DeForrest was unscathed. And...I took that photo of his head - my aim is better than his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
dg - welcome! I'm glad you backed the guy up. Now just post those pictures of the "hooker" and it's all good. That Jody - what a nut!
Old 09-24-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
DrB, nicely handled. While I've never sailed under bare poles, I've heard that you can haul butt if the conditions are bad enough. I have seen Oh Joy heel 30* under bare poles at dockside once with the dock on the Leeward side. It was blowing 65 and gusting to 78 at that time though. I was so tired that once I figured out what that banging by my head was, I slept like a log.
Old 09-24-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Nice BFS, DrB! I honestly had cotton mouth while reading it - remembering my launch fiasco previously mentioned herein. My crew kept asking me why I looked so "upset"- I told them I was just "focused" and to shut the hell up and go below. I was glad to see you employing the same tactic. Of course, after the cockpit was clear, I started crying like a school girl - seems like you held up better.

And great job on the writing by the way! The boat length countdown was pure genius. And the calm dare to the Launch Service to come pick you up in the midst of a microburst forcing them to say they're too scared? Classic.

Great sailing, man.
Old 09-24-2008
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
P.S. I'm surprised Beaufort replied at all. He's a fairly reclusive type, preferring to let his proxies defend the honor of his scale. You must have a persuasive way with words! If I have time, I will share a story about my first encounter with the Beaufort Scale.
John - yeah that Beaufort's a nut. Sounded like he had a wicked big party going on in the background at the time. He was hammered, slurring like a pig, so it was easy.

Okay - how about that encounter?
Old 09-24-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
John - yeah that Beaufort's a nut. Sounded like he had a wicked big party going on in the background at the time. He was hammered, slurring like a pig, so it was easy.

Okay - how about that encounter?
Patience, grasshopper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-24-2008
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Patience, grasshopper.
Oh, I see, you haven't had the "encounter" yet. That's cool. We can wait. Just let us know.
Old 09-25-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
How big the freaking sail is depends on the boat. Three events conspired to create an “adventure”. Let me set the stage.
  • Last year my friend the “Captain” bought his first boat a Catalina 27 and had sailed it only a few times around the local harbor buoys and he decided to do a day sail and “go some place”.
  • I got a beat up Hobie 16 that was sailable but rough.
  • My son now twenty something and working as a rigger at a local marina used to teach sailing for several season at the local town rec facility a few years ago. He fondly remembers sailing the Hobie 16 and wanted to go sailing with us but thought the Catalina 27 would be too boring and slow and wanted to follow (lead) in the Hobie.
The course chosen was from Westbrook in CT to Truman Beach in LI about 11 miles almost straight across the Long Island Sound.
The plan was for the Captain and his daughter (10 years old and fearless) would leave the Westbrook dock at the same time as my son and I would leave the beach where we keep the Hobie about six miles away. The plan was for me to jump ship (Hobie) mid ocean (actually by Duck Island) and assist in the sailing of the C27.

The day of the big sail the wind was a brisk 15 knots at our beach. Steve, my son and I started our trip. We were sheltered a lot by the land so had a great fast sail in the Hobie. By the time we got near the rendezvous point we could not find the Captain. I tried his cell phone and got his daughter. This was one of his first times out without me and the wind had picked up to closer to 20 knots and he was thinking of canceling the trip. He had dropped the sails and was motoring looking for us. We found each other with the help of his daughter and the cell phone and I abandoned Steve, the Hobie is too wet for me.
The wind held a good 20 knots plus and we flew across the sound.
The following is a note of explanation for those who don’t know how the Hobie 16 is setup. It has a trampoline about 12” off the water. The slightest ripple washes over the crew. There are no storage facilities, anything you don’t want to loose you must lash down. The main halyard has a crimped on stopper that catches at the top of the mast. If you uncleat the halyard the main will not fall. You have to snap the halyard to release the catch at the top of the mast. I find this a tricky maneuver while on land. You have about 30” clearance between the tramp and the boom so even sitting is not safe from boom head collisions. It carries a whole lot of sail and flipping it over is very, very easy. It is way fun to sail.

The wind was really too much for the Hobie with only 140lbs of crew. Steve tried main up jib down, main down jib up, he was getting the snot kicked out of him. How he was even able to change sails in those conditions I don’t know. We finally made it to the beach and rested up a couple hours. On the way back the wind was coming about 40 degrees off from where we wanted to go, a really hard beat. The wind picked up now 25 gusting to 30 maybe more. The Cat27 was doing fine of course but poor Steve was underwater a good share of the time. He had filled his backpack with rocks from the beach to get a little more ballast but that didn’t work out because on a Hobie you need the ballast but it has to move or it will actually help tip the boat over. For about one second he considered wearing the backpack but for obvious reasons dumped the rocks. We are getting further and further ahead. A tug boat cuts across our stern blocking my view of him about a mile behind.
Now Steve is about 24 and about thee times stronger than me and has lots more time on the water than me. He can climb to the top of a 50 foot mast by just grabbing the halyard and walking up the mast (this trick is not allowed at work though). In short is more than capable of taking care of himself. But the father responsibility thing is hard to shake so yes I was worried. Now it’s getting dark and starting to rain and the chop is getting worse. I see him change course to starboard and he calls me on the cell (how do you make a cell call in those conditions?) and says he is heading for the nearest land and will call me when he lands. We turn the motor on because the wind is directly from our destination and it’s wet and uncomfortable and head for home.

Steve beaches the boat near Lynde Point in Old Saybrook Lynde Point Lighthouse, Old Saybrook, Connecticut.
This is an exclusive neighborhood of multi-million dollar beach homes. So just at dusk seriously beat-up Steve is trying to find a public road in the midst of all these estates. A guy yells at him “Hey what are you doing this is private property you are trespassing”. Steve yells back, “I’m not trespassing I’m shipwrecked”. Apparently they don’t get too many shipwrecked mariners on their private beaches any more. The guy was cool however, and gives Steve a lift to the public road where his girl friend picked him up.
Of course now I’m missing one Hobie 16.

The next morning I take my truck and trailer and drop it off at the boat launch about three miles up the Connecticut River. The Captain takes the two of us in his car looking for the Hobie. If you are going to “park” your boat someplace at night, next to a light house is a good choice. After traveling several wrong driveways and telling our story to very suspicious wealthy homeowners. “Just why are you prowling around my driveway again”. We finally find the boat. Steve and I sail the somewhat mangled boat, jib traveler tore up etc, to the ramp and hauled her home.

So the same conditions were:
  • A little scary but ok for a new captain.
  • Lots of fun for a slightly more experienced sailor
  • Big worry for a dad
  • A fun outing for 10 year old girl
  • A major struggle to stay on deck for an experienced sailor in a small boat

Last edited by davidpm; 09-25-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Oh, I see, you haven't had the "encounter" yet. That's cool. We can wait. Just let us know.
You got me there, Smackdaddy.

But with the forecast tomorrow, I'm hoping to finally cast off the docklines and raise sails on our boat for the first time ever, if I can figure out how. Weather service is calling for a gale on the Chesapeake, which says to me "reef", I think. Anybody care to walk me through the process, recognizing that this will be our first time hoisting the sails on any boat?

National Weather Service Marine Forecast

P.S. Just joking here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-25-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 09-25-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
It's all about perspective. I've been out in stuff on Oh Joy that I wouldn't dream of sailing in on the V-21, no way, no how. The same air that would put Oh Joy's rail right to the water and make 7.5 knots of fun, would be 1.5 knots slower and much more comfortable and boring on ccam's Hans Christian 33. Of course, I carry 200 sq ft more sail and have half his displacement. Which would I rather sail in the shyte? Either would work for me cause I know what Oh Joy can handle and it looks like the HC 33 would do nicely as well.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.