Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
BFS Roundup 2008

Okay - here's the BFS from this year. Since we've only got a few more weeks on the voting - I thought I'd help out the lazy butts and pull it up to the top.

Remember, it's about QUALITY NOT QUANTITY. So, we're not so much looking for "prolific" as we are looking for "gnarly". In other words, some categories have tons of sailors - but some of the sails are just plain pathetic, which, in turn, negates some of the the ones that are really good in that category. For example, my pathetic attempts negate wheresthebrakes, or Sailaway21's howling knockdown negating TJ's killer throwdown. You have to see the big picture here.

So - you be the judge. Read and vote. Who gets the cup?

Westies
CharlieCobra1
CharlieCobra2
CharlieCobra3
artbyjody1
CharlieCobra4
SimonV
GeorgeB1
Ccam
Stillraining1
Blt2ski1
jrd22
Stillraining and erps
erps
artbyjody2
artbyjody3
CharlieCobra4
GeorgeB2
sww9141
sww9142
GeorgeB3
CharlieCobra6
GeorgeB4
erps2
Stillraining2
CharlieCobra7

Easties
Knothead1
jaschrumpf1
Knothead2
jas2
DrB
davidpm
ChucklesR1
Painkiller
JohnPollard1
JeffH
CalebD1
CalebD2
Cam1
Cam2
Painkiller2
ChucklesR2
Genieskip**
nealmc
JohnPollard2
dell30rb
bene505
CalebD3
skipperb1
skipperb2
skipperb3
mrwuffles

Gulfies
PBZeer
Cardiacpaul

Supernorthies
CaseyJones1
Valiente1
Valiente2
farmboy1
farmboy2
farmboy3
Valiente3
Valiente4
farmboy4

Supersouthies
chall031
chall032

Eurpies
Giulietta1
Giulietta2
Duckduckgoose
Giulietta3
Giulietta4
Giulietta5
Optimania1
Giulietta6
Giulietta7
Giulietta8
Giulietta9
Giulietta10
Optimania2
pmoreira1
pmoreira2
Optimania3
Optimania4
Giulietta11

Others
Smackdaddy1
Smackdaddy2
T34C
Sailortjk11
Sailortjk12
sgkuhner
wheresthebrakes
Sway got knocked down. But he doesn't want to talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey GUU—

Your hull needs cleaning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-06-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Smack,

You are AMAZING!! The poll should be "Who's the best BFS proponent, supporter, and yes, instigator?" You would win hands down!!! Nice job on the summary. I bet that took some work to put together.

Regards
Old 12-07-2008
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road
smackdaddy asked me to post some if my BFS's

But I have a quandary

DO i tell the one that include the fight that broke out in the storm, or the one with the regilious guy that felt his god has abandoned him in a howling gale , the one with the crazed polish guy, the one where in another storm a crew mate was convinced the slashed down dinghy was going to kill us all and wanted to cut it looses ( he never have been seen again). then theres the crazed spainish fishermen story

How do I tell them without being sued!!

Okay heres one , I have no picture evidence as any pictures I have are of nice sails, in my experience the last thing in a storm you see is a man with a camera

OK heres one that wont get me hung.

We were sailing from Gijon to Bayona in Northern Spain , along what is known as the Costa Murde, the bottom is littered with wrecks. ( stay with me the reason why is evident) This was a November delivery and there was three of us. We had had a very "eventful" Biscay crossing from Brest in France, "eventful" doesnt mean anytime nice at all happened, but thats a story where I'll get sued if I tell it.

Anyway, we have F8-F10s the whole time, its was so wild arriving in Gijon we couldnt get into the marina betcause the wave trains in the fairway would have bounced us off the bottom, so we went into the commercial port.. long story involving customs, men with guns, wrong paperwork, whiskey, rats ( the four legged types etc). Any way the following day we moved into the marina, it was so windy that we had to reverse into the wind to get the stern onto the dock. Get the picture lots of winds , ogh did I remind you its was November, no other fools were out.

Anyway we set off for Bayona, which is "round the corner", past Finisterre, thoese of you who know this place, know that its a proverial basta4d of a place, every wind god in the place vacations there.

Anyway we're off La Corruna , its 1am in the morning , next minute we effectively been chased in the middle of a storm by sets of crazed and drunk spainish fishermen, whos idea of fun is to play chicken with a yacht with storm sails up. we cant really maneavour and they run at us and then veer away.

I forgot to mention there was three of us and one of them had never sailed before, to protect the innocent and cover up the guilty I'll call them fred and bill and me ( GBN) ( bill has an experienced sailor) This incident with the spainish fishermen didn't do fred ( hes the one thats never sailed before) health any good at all as you can imagine, ( oh I mentioned he had come through the biscay crossing as well.

Fred " does this type of thing happen a lot", I mean cant we report them, did you see the guy leaning out of the wheelhouse, I taught they were going to kill us"

Me to fred " Yeah happens alot you get used to it" ( doesnt and you dont)

At this point the first knockdown occurred, spreaders in the water. You know its quite comforting becuase at least the now vertical cockpit floor shelter you from the damm wind and the spray. Had I mentioned it was a beam sea. a big beam sea, ( runing downwind here would end you up in somebodys living room)

Anyways, I got to 10 in my count and she righted , I think a pile of water in the main slowed her. She came up just as the second big wave washed over us, 1 second earlier, and that would have 360'd us.

At this stage we're a wee bit wet, (in the way that the space station is a wee bit above the ground.)

Me " Fred this is fairly uncool",we're liable to get more possible knockdowns and if happens or we get a 360 its likely that anyone on deck will get hurt"

Fred " ur umm, oookaay"

Anyways Bill pops his head through the companionway , spluttering what the fu6k was that etc etc , you know with that crazed wild look. Seemingly he feels that being accelerated out of his bunk, seemingly complete with the remains of the lee cloth and grasping the mattress, and being dumped against the port forward bulkhead isnt like... fun!!.

why by the way do people always ask " what the fu&k was that " etc, when as plain as day , you just managed to put a 45 foot boat, on its ear and tried as best you can to remove the standing rigging. ! huh why do they ask you you wonder, what do they want, a letter beforehand.

Bill " the bloddy batteries are loose dont you know".

Me "Really ... thats not bad considering, I gather the lee cloth supports failed as well"

Bill " goddamm galley a mess too" ( I think we had "forgot" to wash up the dishes)

Bil then gives Fred the man on deck will be injured speech. I'm beginning think we might be "overloading" fred a bit but what the heck he's only 47 and a middle ranking executive at some law firm..

Bill " fred , tell you what , lets just have one man in the cockpit , you go below take a torch and wedge yourself in somewhere and be ready to help GBN if she turtles, remember wel'l loose the damm batteries next time so we wont have any light , it will be up to you as GBN is likely to be hurt."

Fred " uuuurrr ummmmmm okaaaaay" ( I reminded of the airplane movie where loyd bridges says Got a cigarette Nelson? I can't take much more of this. looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines)

Later on night the wind went from mildy crazed to completly bonkers. This is a coast where the atlantic goes basically from a zillions miles deep to like 3 feet in like 10 feet or something and we had a 3000 mile fetch and the wind was westerly. Youd think we should have known better, but hey were delivery crew, completely dispensible, badly paid, ( there was pay, somebody got paid no one told me!), overeducated, middle class lowlife sailers, you know the type , you see them in marinas all over the globe, drinking their stiiinking cocktails.

Anyways me feeling all macho and in control alone on the burning deck ,err I decide that I stand the watch through into dawn and let Bill get a good sleep in a now heavily modified berth ( as in hes lashed in with some spare halyard, modified)

The rest of the night passes uneventfully and we round finnisterre without any futher drama, that is if you think that two partial broachs and a very very close almost chineese jibe isnt "any drama". anyways the wind dies back a bit as after about half way through the watch and as dawn approachs and at this stage I done nearly 6 hours on the wheel with two life lines holding me tri-angulated ( some might say strangulated) behind the wheel. Its was the longest, crasyist period I have ever spent on watch and I was actually hallucinating near the end.

The hatch flies open and Bill refreshed after his bit of S&M with the berth mistress comes out and lectures the hell out of me about letting him sleep. Did I mention that Bill had four eyes and eight fluffy ears.

Bill " go below sleep idiot"

"OK". Below its still gloomy, but the motions fairly calm ( in comparison) and the batteries seemed to have decided that the their box is a reasonable place to live cause they stayed there.

Anyways I fall over the form of Fred, still after close to 7 hours schrunged up on the galley sole, wedged to prevent him moving , still clutching the torch, wide eyed

"Fred oh sh1t, I forgot to tell you that is was fine and when things calmed down ,to go to bed, you ok"

Fred" Oh yeah, just doing what you guys told me, ready to spring into action in the event of injury" ( middle managers take their jobs sooo seriously dont they)

" OK fred all over get up go to bed, bill will do a few hours solo" ( maybe a week or so)

Fred " eh cant , "

"why not"
Fred " no feeling, cant move legs numb, pain heeelp"

Suffice to say it took fred two hours to fully regain the use of his legs. and the wild look got much worse ( perhaps another airplane sketch is needed, no oh ok )

Later when Bill and I exchanged watchs

fred says " Jes7s , you guys are the bigest bunch of fu6king lunatics Ive ever met"

So ended a great day

did I mentioned that the dolphins turned up after all the fun was over

Last edited by goboatingnow; 12-07-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, Fred is far more amazing than his dad, since he does BFS in a boat that would fit down the companionway on his dad's boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 12-07-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
^^^i most certainly agree
Old 12-07-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
A new horse may run faster..but an old horse knows his way around the track better...

Fred will be by far better than me...as he will not make my mistakes...I am here making sure of that....

however, where Fred is now..his dad was 33 years ago, with worse heavier boats..remember that...
Old 12-07-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
DO i tell the one that include the fight that broke out in the storm, or the one with the regilious guy that felt his god has abandoned him in a howling gale , the one with the crazed polish guy, the one where in another storm a crew mate was convinced the slashed down dinghy was going to kill us all and wanted to cut it looses ( he never have been seen again). then theres the crazed spainish fishermen story...
Gobo, let me answer your questions as simply as possible....yes.

Now as for this particular BFS....freakin' awesome. I figured you had some stories in your sea chest, dude.

I'm kind of likin' "Tale of the Deadly Dinghy" next.

Finally, as for the photo stuff - you're right. You don't see just a whole lot of photos of really insane sails. Go figure. So I take those calls with a grain of salt.

HOWEVER, there is a CRAZY photo by Jerome Poncet in "Heavy Weather Sailing" where he snaps a shot from the rigging while in the midst of a knockdown! Boat's on here ear, buried in white water, he's stuck in the shrouds, and he's thinking snapshot!
Old 12-07-2008
Telstar 28

But do you have photos of it??? We've got photos of Fred out there in his Opti, mainly thanks to a very proud poppa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
A new horse may run faster..but an old horse knows his way around the track better...

Fred will be by far better than me...as he will not make my mistakes...I am here making sure of that....

however, where Fred is now..his dad was 33 years ago, with worse heavier boats..remember that...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-07-2008
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Guys, the Fred in the story was not the same Fred as the one who sails his Opti in high winds.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.