Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree272Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
You got me there, Smackdaddy.

But with the forecast tomorrow, I'm hoping to finally cast off the docklines and raise sails on our boat for the first time ever, if I can figure out how. Weather service is calling for a gale on the Chesapeake, which says to me "reef", I think. Anybody care to walk me through the process, recognizing that this will be our first time hoisting the sails on our boat?

National Weather Service Marine Forecast
I take it this boat is new to you? Does it have jiffy reefing, where ya pull and cleat one line? I'd set the reef as I raised the Main, maybe put two in to start. you can always let a reef out later if it's too much. What size is your Genny/Jib? If it's anything over a 120, ya probably don't wanna fly it in anything over 25 knots or you'll be overpowered and possibly shred the sail. I flew my 150 in winds up to 40 knots before it finally weakened enough to shred in 25 knots one night. What rig do ya have on the boat and what Headsails?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I take it this boat is new to you? Does it have jiffy reefing, where ya pull and cleat one line? I'd set the reef as I raised the Main, maybe put two in to start. you can always let a reef out later if it's too much. What size is your Genny/Jib? If it's anything over a 120, ya probably don't wanna fly it in anything over 25 knots or you'll be overpowered and possibly shred the sail. I flew my 150 in winds up to 40 knots before it finally weakened enough to shred in 25 knots one night. What rig do ya have on the boat and what Headsails?

Ooops. Charlie, sorry about that, but I was just kidding around with SmackDaddy. I should have added some smilies or something so no one would think I was serious. I appreciate you taking the time to offer help, and I apologize for the misunderstanding. I'll go back and add some smilies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-25-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
No problem John. Just looking to assist.
Old 09-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Not enough catamaran's on this thread, and trust me folks with 690 sq ft (no spin, just fore and main) of sail up on a 33.5 ft boat, 10000 pound boat, I got your BFS.
I don't have the fancy Photoshop skills so I can't draw lines and such to show the angle of heel that almost spilled my drink, but I assure your that the 6 inch chop whipped up by the 10kt breeze I had to endure was sufficient to spill the sacred Rum and get one of my rails damp. The other rail was definitely wet with condensation - at the same time.Big Freakin' Sails-p1010074.jpg

Later, the wind picked up to an absolutely whistling 12knts (true mind you, so add boat speed of three zillion knots, do the vector math and it at least 13 kts apparent) I was on a beam under full sail with serious BFS up and the characteristic twin wake throwing a plume behind me when I decided it was time to fall off and run from the obvious storm chasing my wake so I deployed my sea anchor's to slow me down to a manageable speed:Big Freakin' Sails-dsc01646.jpg

Afterwards, when the wind had died down to a more reasonable speed of 10kts I again turned to a beam heading and that my friends and fellow thrill junkies is when it hit with a vengeance
Big Freakin' Sails-p1010084.jpg
Like I said, I can't draw lines and such - but I estimate a solid 5 degrees of heel, my rubber bottomed Newport cup actually leaned into the side of the cup holder and forced me to move it. I had to put down my book and take a walk on my back porch to see what the commotion was. Fortunately I took my camera with me and snapped this shot of my cockpit in total disarrayBig Freakin' Sails-p1010056.jpg
Look at how my chair actually slid to port with the monster angle of heel, notice the EMPTY cup holder. Notice the Admiral is actually grasping the side of the salon table for balance, she almost had to stop reading.

My God, we were lucky that day.
Old 09-25-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Davidpm - Awesome BFS! I see your point about the size of the boat and motion of the ocean. Kind of reminded me of Jody's story - heh, heh. Just kidding.

Anyway, I'm actually liking the idea of the Hobie. It does look like a hell of a lot of fun - in tandem with a bigger boat. And I think I'm going to recommend the "rocks in a backpack" pfd to some of the guys over in AFOC. What's the rating on that device anyway?

Finally, it appears that the C27 is just plain unsinkable. If all of us greenhorn sailors around the world can repeatedly take these things out in conditions we have no business being out in - then actually bring them home every time, there must be something to them - despite the knocks they get from salts. Must be that 9 feet of freeboard Charlie.

Catalinas ROCK you full keelers!!!!
Old 09-25-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Chuck..there is no "merda de boi" in your post..please remove it...

This thread for "merda de boi" only.

Besides it's Big sails as in the verb, not he noun....

OK?

Now do some "merda de boi" if you want to post here.

PS..remember the blue giant?? that was fun..huh?
Old 09-25-2008
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Chickles - that was the scariest damn thing I've ever seen. I still have cotton mouth from the incredible lameness of those photos. I'm just glad you're okay - and that your boat doesn't actually require anyone at the helm to float around the inlet in those harrowing conditions (kind of like the inflatable mattresses). Nice LFS dude. No MDB.
Old 09-25-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
This place stinks of "Merda".
(I just like saying Merda. Carry on Smacky)

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-25-2008
Last Man Standing

Giu - ya know, I gotta say, so far Charlie wins the award for a no-MDB photo of a truly gnarly sail. I've seen a lot of photos and videos around this dump - and that one is just freakin' big...and real. Photo - happened.

And by the way, I watched the steering without a rudder video again yesterday - since I'm sure I'll sail mine right off very soon - and those videos are really good learning tools. Kudos! However, I have to say that in that particular video, when you're releasing the traveller back to lee - your deck looks like a junkyard dude. Lines snarling all over the place - that's just plain dangerous! I could trip and fall into the ocean or something if I was slobbering drunk and trying to head to the stern for a wee.
Old 09-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Smack,
This is what 1500 sq ft of assym spin looks like in about 25 knts of wind. Courtesy of Giu's boat this past June, with me, my Admiral (MMR on sailnet) and one other sailnet member's Admiral (Valiente's wife, Becky) sailing Guiletta.
We put the spin in the water SEVEN times that day, and once put the carbon fiber boom three feet into the water. We averaged 10.5 kts which on his 12 meter means we were on plane most of the time.
We didn't have a white knuckle moment because we had a competent and confident skipper - Alex's son Fred.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Freakin' Sails-dsc01350a.jpg