Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Smack, Thanks for the post. you know had to rub it in. It was 3 degrees at midnight here and has been warming up all day. It is now 26 and the ice on the river is only 6 inches thick. I have to say something s*****y just to feel better. Tighten those life lines up!!!!
Sorry - Bubb. I deserved your s*a*k*addy comment. I'll get on those lifelines, Cap'n.

Caleb - it actually came with the boat from its old days of racing. I'd been told that it was "too big and too beat up" to rely on. Then I pulled it out of the bag and...suckas. It's virtually new - just been in a bag forever.

Still gonna get that 110 and spin though. But at least I can sail for now.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-19-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2009

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Smack,

you may find in larger winds in the low 20's that that BIG job alone is plenty. My boyz and I sailed back from a race south of my in 15-22 knots or there about with my new 155 carbon. Did just fine going up wind with just that sail alone up and the three of us. Racing, a reefed main would have been up and two more crew like I had earlier. For just a day sail, we had a good time in the upper 5's into the 6 knot speed range. 6.6 knots is hull speed for my rig.

That reminds me, I need to measure that C27 kevlar in my basement...........

We got sorta kinda fogged out of a race yesterday. Probably should have waited an hour, but it was so thick, not sure if it would lift, about 1pm we could have sailed vs the 12 pm start time. oh well, hindsight is ALWAYS better than forsight it seems.

Marty
Old 01-19-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hey Bluto,

Yeah we were working the main sheet pretty hard in the gusts to the point that we were getting some luff - so we definitely had too much main up. Thanks for the tips. I'll practice the genny-only next time out.

This genny has also got reef cringles. So, I'm going to do some experimenting with that as well. I really like the hank-on head sail thing - I just need to figure out the control limits for each size sail. It's great "homework" though!

Sounds like a nice race/sail with your boyz! Nothin' better, huh!

Let me know on that sail in your basement. I'm interested.

Oh - man the wind's back up to 20 today and the sun's out.

Must....concentrate......on......work.......must.. .....not.................succumb.......to......... .tempta......

I'm goin' sailing.
Old 01-19-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Who the hell invented winter anyway.
Old 01-19-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
- I just need to figure out the control limits for each size sail. It's great "homework" though!
It's hard to tell from that one photo, but I was going to say that it looks like your genoa lead car could come further aft (if there's anymore track). Especially if you were feeling overpowered upwind.

Again, hard to say for sure from that angle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-19-2009
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
It's hard to tell from that one photo, but I was going to say that it looks like your genoa lead car could come further aft (if there's anymore track). Especially if you were feeling overpowered upwind.

Again, hard to say for sure from that angle.
Hey John - thanks for the feedback. I had the car pulled back to within a foot or so of the winch. But, like you mentioned, it still seemed that it needed to come back more as the sheet was pulling down more than back at that point. How close can you get the car to the winch? I have plenty of track.

Man it was just so cool feeling the speed of that sail...while at the same time hoping I didn't shred another.

Thanks again, dude.

BTW - Is ANYONE else out there in Sailnet land still sailing? Where are the Supersouthies these days? Chall? TDW? C'mon lads! Throw down!

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-19-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2009

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Hey Smack, We are still here loitering around the corners as we like to do

I also figured it would be bad form for us to come on here and tell too many stories of dolphin laden, bikini clad, beer drinking summer cruises given the fact that most of your fine country appears to be frozen solid....
(It was in Sydney 95 degrees Fahrenheit today, i have just gotten back from a swim down the beach ).

I also do have to confess that other than a nice little week long cruise around NYE, sadly I have not been getting in much BFS of late. January on the waters around here is sometimes best avoided as Christmas/summer holidays means most normally quintessential anchorages turn into Searay filled floating caravan parks. Most club racing also generally takes a break for a few weeks..........
You add to that the fact that if you decide to find Nemo and start sailing north from here this time of year you are more than likely to run into a bad ass cyclone.

Real nice BFS and pics Smack.....The seastate reminded me of a local duck pond I like to picnic by....however kudos to you for sailing into the slip....you are a braver man than I.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-20-2009
Last Man Standing

Hey Chall! Good to hear from you, mate! Happy New Year!

Bad form? No such thing as bad form in BFS as far as I'm concerned (can't you tell)! And, trust me, all the depressed, snowed-in sailors around here would love to sail vicariously through you guys. Especially if you're cruising around your pristine sea with beer-drinking, bikini-clad dolphins! Those crumpets!

Duck pond? Duck pond? Well! Just remember, pal, he who has the smallest body of water ALWAYS talks the loudest!

I haven't even made it to the word "seastate" yet. Mine's more "puddlestate". Even so, the whole slip sail thing elevates me to sailing royalty I think. And knowing you guys love a good monarchy as much as we yanks do - Sir Smackdaddy will be just fine.

Now get out there and sail right over those damn Searays, man!! Cheers!
Old 01-20-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Nice job on sailing into the slip, that bottleneck is TIGHT! We wouldn't have wanted that Genny up when we were out though, wouldn't wanna shred that one and the boys would've gotten tired of sitting on the cabin ports all day. That is a good looking sail though.
Old 01-20-2009

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Nice job on sailing into the slip, that bottleneck is TIGHT! We wouldn't have wanted that Genny up when we were out though, wouldn't wanna shred that one and the boys would've gotten tired of sitting on the cabin ports all day. That is a good looking sail though.
That's what you think happened...but in reality??? After you ripped his genoa...

Smacky thought this:

"I am not telling Charlie I have another sail down bellow...I see the way he trims the sails....he trims it till it makes "noises"..and the genoa becomes many smaller sails...nahh...this must be the way the "Westies" trim.....I am not telling him I have another sail.no sir..."

-Huh..Charlie...opps..you ripped my genoa....no problem...but I don't have another one..sorry....-