SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Big Freakin' Sails

593K views 3K replies 293 participants last post by  smackdaddy 
#1 ·
Okay - this thread is for people that ACTUALLY LIKE Big Freakin' Sails (note for morons: the verb, not the noun). BFS simply means sailing that pushes limits - whatever those limits may be. And herein lies the rub...and the reason I need to explain a couple of things so people don't start foaming at the mouth right off the bat.

There has been a tremendous amount of hubbub over this "philosophy" in another thread - but that thread apparently "came with a lot of baggage" - to the point that the topic itself got lost in the fog of war. So, this is an attempt to start cleanly.

It must be understood that the love for the adventure and excitement of hard sailing is just as valid and robust in the newbie as it is in the big-sailing old salt. The gap between the two is experience and knowledge. And the goal here is not to fill that gap by quashing the spirit of adventure and excitement with a deluge of cynicism and technicality - but to help us all learn, if and when the time comes, how to better handle that moment when mother nature starts rising beyond our sailing abilities. Because if you keep sailing - it will happen, period. And as you'll see, it can get very frightening very quickly.

For an old salt, these limits will obviously be worlds beyond those of the typical newbie. That old salt will probably snicker at the point at which the newbie becomes terrified - understandably so. Yet, there will inevitably be an even more seasoned salt that will, in turn, snicker at the snickerer when he/she soils his/her own breeches in a blow. It's all subjective and un-ownable.

Therefore, the BFS factor of a newbie experiencing a hard heel and wayward helm for the very first time is just as exciting, important, and valuable (in BFS terms) as the old salt battling a 50 knot gale. It's just about the attitude with which the exploit is approached and remembered - and taken into account as they go back out for more. There are great stories and valuable lessons in both experiences - as well as great opportunities for good hearted slams on the brave posters (which is valuable as well). That's BFS.

So, to be clear this thread is JUST AS MUCH FOR THE SAILING NEWBIE (of which I am one) as it is for the old salt. It's a place to tell your story, listen to others', learn some lessons, and discuss the merits or detractions of Big Freakin' Sails.

The following inaugural BFS stories illustrate what this thread is all about. As I said, I'm a newbie - and you see my first BFS story below. You can then compare that with the other great BFS stories thereafter (sometimes edited to protect the innocent) which I think are great tales from great sailors; they cover the spectrum of "pushing the limits". Then, hopefully, you'll throw down some BFS of your own (either your own story, stories you admire, or stories that are just flat-out lies but with great BFS value - whatever).

Now, let's have some fun...shall we?

See less See more
#296 ·
John, never having run under bare poles, even in 60, I couldn't tell ya how fast that feels. I can tell ya what having too much canvas up feels like. The best offwind run in heavy air that I've experienced was in 50-55 with just the Staysail up. It was 8 knots of smooth, comfortable sailing, unlike the first time with too much up. Considering that sail is only 90 sq. ft., it was pretty close to bare poles.

#297 ·
Sounds like another blow coming in tomorrow Scott. Wanna go out? We'll take your boat. I don't wanna break stuff on mine.

BTW, when we were boat shopping last time around, we ruled out a couple of nice boats because the head was located up in the bow. Can you imagine trying to do your business up in the bow in rough water?

#298 · (Edited)
Still - Awesome BFS dude! Hopefully your family hadn't seen your previous posts about taking it easy on them. Otherwise, they'll think you're just completely insane. I love the impromptu anchor drill. Keeps everyone on their toes. Drawing on my early sailing lessons (the idiots), I also found out the hard way about trying to beat into heavy wind with just a head sail. I was able to sail backwards through the buoyed swimming area, very efficiently I might add, with complete precision and a stoic countenance (sound like what you saw on the Potomac Duck?). I especially love the fact that your kids are ready to rock another BFS! Yeah! THAT's the way it should be. BTW - Mom's first comment sounds like most of the posters around here - except that these knuckleheads never quite get around to the second part of her comment. Sign that lady up! As you say, just safety up hard - and keep the rum flowing - and Mom will get that bug too!

Caleb - yet again definitely a BFS story! That Cal 28 was rockin' the house, dude, doin' it up right! I wanna sail with those guys! You really should get that repair budget together so you can get there too some day (or follow erps' lead and crew on that Cal).

Farmboy - I suppose you're right. It would be good to hear from any ASA instructors on Sailnet that have an opinion about this. Don't worry guys, we won't sue you - we'll just heckle you! In any case, I agree with your point about going informal. Like Duck, I want to learn big from people that actually do it - I can read the books at home in the spa with a rum toddy. You're lucky to have someone around like him.

Charlie - good point on the racer mentality. It's like there is this inherent gulf of pissiness between racers and cruisers. And all we are saying, is give peace a chance......you big gaggle of wusses! Or is it weese? (heh-heh)

blt - sounds like a honkin' day dude! Is that our Artsy Fartsy Jody that took one in the teeth? Man, I'll have to send him some "kudos". Definitely BFS!

JRD - you nut! Definitely a Big Freakin' Row (not a fight Duck, a "paddle" - though around here I'm sure we'll get you another row soon!). But then you turn around and harsh the other BFS herein. What's up with that Mr. Bare Pole? Who made you the BFS king? I'm afraid I have to send you back to page one for a re-orientation, dude. They're all BFS. Helloooo. Or, of course, we can go to FightClub for a BFR - Duck style. So tell us about the bare pole sail - or stick to the dinghy.

erps - I love it! When the big stuff comes in - take out your friend's boat! Sweet! Definitely cuts down on the repair costs. Are you at least buying the booze? Bring back a BFS, boys!

#302 · (Edited)
You know - I'm starting to notice that the PNW crew is a little more hardcore than the EC crew. I wonder why that is?

Duck - you may want to take note for your next sailing adventure to our fair land of "milk and toxic debt". They seem to be rippin' like Ireland up there.

Go get 'em guys! Oh yeah, and erps, just pee in the cockpit! Haven't you read the BFS tales herein which advocate that very thing! Sorry about your cockpit Still.

#303 ·
Maybe because except for maybe 60 days a year, all we have is nasty weather to sail in. If we didn't sail in the slop up here, we wouldn't sail much. The EC guys, at least North of the Chessie, have to haul their boats in the Winter. We don't and can sail year round. Our proximity to the Gulf of Alaska sends us Gales all the time.

#311 · (Edited)
(OK...I am sorry..it's time for a relaity check here.)

Where I come from, we measure wind in knots, and waves in meters, but can do conversion to feet. I can multiply.

I own a boat designed to sail in strong winds, I do not reef bellow 30 knots, and I have many witnesses here that can attest that. I sail North Atlantic Portuguese coast.

I sail now fo 37 years, pretty much none of them as cruiser..so as far as sailing, I can be considered somewhat experienced ..in what sailing on the edge of the boat's performance is.

My boat has a LWL of 42 feet, and a draft of 10 feet with 4000 Lbs lead on the end of it...I have a beam of 14 feet...and an open transom..

My boat has more sail trim and trim features than any 2 boats I heve seen together....and she can take wind...I have witnesses too.

I DO NOT, AND HAVE NEVER SAILED IN ANYTHING OVER 50 Knots....neither do I want to....if it gets that bad, I motor home and hope I can make it in time.

I was hit by a storm last year, and the winds were only 45 to 50 knots really measured, (not Jack said that Tom said that he heard Mike say it was)...I CAN'T SAIL IN THAT MERDA....I CAN'T....I DON'T KNOW HOW TO, AND I DOUBT THAT ANYONE THAT SAILS IN THOSE CONDITONS, SHORT OF TRYING TO SURVIVE, CAN. IF THEY SAY THEY DO IT'S MERDA DE BOI!!!! HOT SMELLY STEAMY MERDA DE BOI....

am I a bad sailor?? maybe...is my boat a piece of merda??? maybe...

BUT NEVER EVER WILL I ACCEPT BEING ACCUSED OF TELLING MERDA DE BOI, I JUST DON'T....SO I DON'T TELL MERDA DE BOI...

AND ANYONE HERE THAT EVER HEARS ME TALK MERDA DE BOI..all you have to ask is for a photo or a video...I have plenty...

Let me post this here table bellow so we can call it a reality check...

OK????

READ THE DAMN THING!!!!! READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't get that crap to show bigger HERE IS THE DAMN SITE..have a look...

These here bellow are photos of the day I got hit...

I ran for shelter, the waves in the ocean were 20 feet, and the waves inside the bay were only 6 feet, not much but with the wind !!! IT SCARED THE MERDA OUT OF ME!!!!

It was a scale 9 to 10 in beaufort.....IT SCARED ME!!!

That day 5 boats dragged and washed ashore..IN THE DAMN COVERED SHELTERED BAY!!!!! in 50 knts!!!!!

Please, let's either be realistic with the numbers we are writing here on these threads, or elese, please make sure to post a sign saying its MERDA DE BOI!!!!

I mean...everyone can see it's merda de boi....the newbies can't...OK???

JUST BE RALISTIC....or maybe you guys measure wind in pubic hairs per hour and waves in toothpicks.....let's just stop the BS, ahem...the MDB...

It stinks already...

By the way...I am for it too...NO PHOTO DIDN'T HAPPEN....

THIS is bad..the newbies can't see the differnce..and soon everyone is going to think on Sailnet, there's a bunch of old lying sacks...that can't get it up..I refuse to be part of that.

please be realistic..it's good for everyone, and makes my digestion smooth..

TIME TO START CALL OUT THE MERDA DE BOI!!! (yay or nay??)

Thank you

#312 · (Edited)
Alex, don't be calling BS when ya weren't there.

Case in point, on the delivery run with Oh Joy, the forecasts were for 25-35 MAX and 10 hrs into the trip the winds were 62 KNOTS gusting to 78 KNOTS. That's Nautical Miles Per Hour, in case you were confused. That stuff happens up here but the important difference is I'm sailing in the Puget Sound where the maximum fetch is maybe 150 miles. That means I get wind waves but few or no swells, unless crossing the San Juan de Fuca. Nobody here in the PNW goes looking for Force 9+ winds but we will sail in a Gale. We WILL NOT sail in a Gale off the coast, unless we have a deathwish. BIG difference between 21'+ combined waves in 50 knots on a Lee shore and 8-12' wind waves in the Sound. By the way, all of my original threads on sailing had pictures, as did most of the threads from fellow PNW'ers.

#313 · (Edited)
Giu, dude, all I've got to say is that you've got one bad-ass dodger! Personally, when it gets up to 40 knots I never can keep my zipper closed. But that's just me. Schwinggg!

Oh yeah - and T, don't be so grumpy. Give us your BFS. Just one. You don't even have to follow the PHE!

#317 · (Edited)
Cam - do you have higher res pics of your boat? It really looks pretty incredible - event sized for Smurfs. (edit - never mind, I just found this really cool tool called "View Profile" which has a link to your shamelessly promoted website)

And Giu - just smackin' you a bit - it's what brings in my Sailnet royalties. However, I bet wrestling a big piece of canvass in a blow of 50 pubic hairs was a freakin' nightmare!

#319 · (Edited)
Okay - focus people! Enough FightClub, let's get back to BFS. Although - man do I like a good scruff! So, while we're at it, purely in terms of PHE, I do have to say that the heartiest photo evidence I've seen thus far of a BFS moment is Charlie's photo with the fenders a-flying on page 7. The link appears to be broken now - but it was pretty damn big.

Also, let's try very hard not to forget the Photo-Happen Edict Addenda of BFS.

#322 · (Edited)
I quote knots in mine and have posted up NOAA records to show it during original threads of various sails. Some folks quote MPH which is what? 10% slower?

EDIT: The pic wasn't showing when I posted this...

As to the pic above, the tops are just starting to blow off and there's no fog from spray so I'm gonna say 45-50 knots.

#326 · (Edited)
We kept dipping the rails on this particular day, but it was because the dog wouldn't stay in the middle and when he would shift his weight, all the beer cans would roll over to that side as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.