Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
On a lot of smaller boats, the mainsheet uses blocks on both transom corners to attach, and one of the corners will have the cam cleat for locking the mainsheet.

The backstay should really have two chain plates, one on each side of the tiller, so that the tiller can swing freely. I'm eally surprised the boat wasn't designed that way originally and would have guessed that some PO made the CF of a mainsheet/backstay you have now.

Gui's point about a strong gust taking down the mast is a good one...and I think it is only by luck have you not had that problem.

A picture of the way the mainsheet might have been setup originally is found in this PDF for the O'Day Javelin, on page 3. See how the mainsheet forms a triangle, through which the tiller passes, and allows the tiller to be used without any real interference from the mainsheet. A similar setup could be used for the backstay.

Even if the boat wasn't designed with a split backstay originally, adding two small chainplates for the relatively light loads that this boat generates would be pretty simple to do.

BTW, the reason the chainplate for the backstay on this boat appears to be overdesigned is that it is handling the loads for the mainsheet and the backstay together... if the two were separated, the chainplates could likely be a good deal smaller.
This is how it was designed from the factory (3rd time repeating this? I think so), it is not modified in any way, and I believe the C. Raymond Hunt company knew what they were doing when it was designed. I agree it's not ideal, but there were 490 Oday 192's made, a larger number of 222's made and not one had had the mast break because of this arrangement. I mean, how could it? There is a forestay AND a jib halyard holding it up in front, it's just not possible on a boat this small.

I agree it's not the best, and I would like to change it, but I'm reluctant to do so for two reasons, #1 I'm not a marine designer, and neither are you, and #2 I'd like to sell it next year and not have a buyer rip apart my hack job and walk away. Soooo lets try and keep the chicken little sky is falling comments to a minimum, please?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mike-

I'm not denying that it was designed that way from the factory, just a bit surprised, since it is a really mickey mouse design IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-28-2008

countrybumpkin is on a distinguished road
Well, it WAS a nice weekend for fall sailing around Middle Tennessee too!

CB
Old 09-29-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Hi Mike,

Back to your original point: We had a good sail yesterday, too . It started out not-so-good, being as, as is typical for us, it seems: Just about the time we got the sails up the wind about died. But I knew it was supposed to come back, so we stuck it out. (I don't think we ever quite got below 1 kt, but it was darn close quite a few times.) Hey, if nothing else: I got to experiment a lot with sail shape and various tuning to get maximum smoke out of her in light air .

On the way back the wind finally piped-up. By the time it was time to take the sails down and turn into our homeward-bound creek, they were up to about 15 kts. This gave me an opportunity to play with sail shape and fine-tuning at the other end of the spectrum, so to say: De-powering while close-hauled and short-crewed to keep her off her ear .

Here's a third neat thing that happened: Before I got the sails de-powered a bit to get her back on her feet, we buried the leeward rail but good . The Admiral (who is usually at the helm) handled it with aplomb, which is a first.

All-in-all: A very enjoyable time on the water.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 09-29-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2008

Coreyboy18 is on a distinguished road
And I had a great sail the day before yesterday. We only had between 6-12 kts of wind, but it was a nice, enjoyable day on the lake. I brought out a guy that is staying with me from France, and also a German guy and girl that are staying with me. It was such a nice experience for them (and me), laying out on the deck listening to a little music and enjoying the wind and water. Gosh the weather is perfect here right now, which isn't something that we can say here too often.

Lake Pontchartrain and beyond (hopefully)
1978 Ranger 23
Old 09-29-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Mike, you are sailing, and at a time of year that usually offers enough wind to make the boat move. If you haven't had issues with the O'Day backstay/mainsheet set-up, then the only conclusion is that it is functional...and it's not something worth debating, because you aren't advocating it to anybody else.

My older boat is so primitive that the hatch is on a hinge, not sliders, and I have to remove it to go sailing if I want to use the coach house traveller directly forward of that hinge, because the lines want to go down the companionway! If it rains, we leave the hatch down completely, and have to crawl in and out of the boat.

So you aren't alone in having a bit of ...ah..."speculative innovation" aboard.