Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008
New Old Salt

newoldsalt is on a distinguished road
Crewbie.. gotta start somewhere

Some folks here suggested I go for a sail ASAP to make sure it's something I'll enjoy. With some help from Craigslist I found a yacht club 50 miles from me that has Wednesday night races and there is ample opportunity to catch a ride as crew. Especially if I buy the beer.

I wonder how many of you started this way.....
Old 10-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... a human ballast that brings the beer... sounds like a good deal to me... and I'm sure you'll get a few good offers... I started much younger, so couldn't buy beer, being about 10 at the time... and learned at summer camp. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2008
Catalina38driver

dcarey is on a distinguished road
Racing on Wednesdays and 'sailing' on the weekends can be two entirley different experiences. I learned to sail at camp and have loved it since. My neighbor and friend invited me to crew on Wednesdays about 12 years ago and I loved that also. I've been buying beer every week for the last 12 years, moved up from grinder to helmsman and we race with or without the owner. The nice part about 'beer can' racing (atleast in our area) is that there seems to be a wide variety of intensity and seriousness. Botom line; I've learned different/other things on Wednesdays than I ever would have on Sunday afternoons. Both are great experiences. Good luck and enjoy the experience.
Old 10-01-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarey View Post
Racing on Wednesdays and 'sailing' on the weekends can be two entirley different experiences. I learned to sail at camp and have loved it since. My neighbor and friend invited me to crew on Wednesdays about 12 years ago and I loved that also. I've been buying beer every week for the last 12 years, moved up from grinder to helmsman and we race with or without the owner. The nice part about 'beer can' racing (atleast in our area) is that there seems to be a wide variety of intensity and seriousness. Botom line; I've learned different/other things on Wednesdays than I ever would have on Sunday afternoons. Both are great experiences. Good luck and enjoy the experience.
True but it would still be a good experience just being on the boat and seeing how things operate. Plus he would get some time to ask questions.

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 10-02-2008

BreakingWind2 is on a distinguished road
Too bad you live so far away. If you're buying the beer.... I'll let you drive the freaking thing!!!

Old 10-02-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Excellent, I learned a lot crewing in my first year sailing.

Are you looking into any daysailing courses/ASA/US Sailing courses?
Have you been reading your head off on Sailing Fundamentals?

Racing is a great way to get out on the boat (for cheap nonetheless) but you'll get more out it and they'll get more out of you if you the terminology and basic theory down
Old 10-02-2008

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Newoldsalt,
I learned how to sailing racing on Nacra Cats. It was a blast and taught me a lot about reading the wind and sails. Everything happens at a much faster pace than on a mono hull. I moved from Nacras to a 25 foot mono and learned more about tactical and using the wind more effectively. (slower recovery from mistakes). Last boat I raced on was a 40 bene with a crew of nine. Big difference but great fun and team work.
The nice thing was how easy it was to take those skills with me to MY first boat. I only used it to cruise the Chesapeake, but what i had learned made handling alone much more comfortable.

Good choice and good luck to you.
Old 10-02-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
It's the only way to really learn in my opinion. You can spend years cruising, doing long reaches and enjoying cocktails, but...but...ummm, why am I racing?

Seriously, though, you'll learn a lot more if you're focused on how to make your boat go as fast as possible upwind and down against competitors and with experienced sailors.

If you want to race in New Orleans, let me know.

Old 10-02-2008
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Good for you! I feel like I learned more during my first time racing than I did during my basic keelboat lessons. Everything moves at such a fast pace.

Someone made a good point though...you'll earn credibility if you know what things are called...and more importantly, what NOT to call things (like ropes, for instance).

Pick up a beginner's sailing book and read up before you go.
Have fun & good luck!

Bring beer cans...not bottles.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 10-04-2008
New Old Salt

newoldsalt is on a distinguished road
I checked into some ASA sailing courses and it's not cheap. I am. I did however order some dvd's off of ebay and have watched them several times. I have a basic idea of how a sailboat works and have learned quite a bit of the terminology.

I plan to head down to the Yacht Club this week and post something on their board and see if I get any calls.

Human ballast? 270lbs, I can do that. LOL