SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Armageddon as an excuse (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/47631-armageddon-excuse.html)

lbdavis 10-01-2008 12:47 PM

Armageddon as an excuse

Has any one been using data such as the graph below to start investing in their boats to use as future migratory homes?

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...davis/file.png

The way I figure it, I'll skip the bread lines and head south after hurricane season and head back north before the heat.

Plus, I figure I can't lose any more money if I put in my boat than I will if I leave it in my investments.

capttb 10-01-2008 12:52 PM

I've put all my money in dried food, toliet paper, small gold coins and shotgun shells, when the food, fuel, and water riots start I point the boat south.

smackdaddy 10-01-2008 12:57 PM

Oh man, when a sailboat starts looking like a good investment - that truly is Armageddon.

eherlihy 10-01-2008 01:00 PM

From the online version of Practical Sailor;

"On the topic of money: The news coming out of Wall Street called to mind an article I read a few years after the economic meltdown in the late 1980s. The story documented a family’s low-budget circumnavigation.

The underlying theme of the story—cruising doesn’t have to be expensive—was easily recognizable. It was the same message the Hiscocks, the Pardeys, and countless others sailing writers have been trying to get across for decades. What stood out to me in this article was the punch line, uttered upon the family’s return to the U.S.. “Recession, what recession?”

Mostly by luck, the family had shoved off when the nation’s economic situation looked especially dire. When they returned, the dust had settled, jobs were plentiful, and the economy was booming again. Their tale was familiar to me. More than a few of our fellow cruising sailors during the early 1990s were young professionals who’d lost their jobs in corporate downsizing. Rather than fight for scraps in the shark tank, they took their meager savings and went sailing. When they finally returned to the workaday world, they had no trouble picking up where they left off.

So . . . if the news out of Wall Street is getting you down, look at it this way. It’s one more reason to go cruising – now. The way things are going, you won’t be missing much."

Delirious 10-01-2008 01:04 PM

That's what I was thinking. Wonder how far it is to Denmark? You never hear: "The Denmark Econony is in Peril".

'Course I don't speak Dennish.

sab30 10-01-2008 01:15 PM

Just so you are aware this is when those seasoned investors start to pick up the good deals...as one said to me this is the time when the undervalued shares of well run profitable companies are returned to their rightful owners...when we start hearing those words...doomsday, armageddon..you have reached "capitulation" and market buyers step in a little bit at a time...

Warren Buffet - To invest successfully over a lifetime does not require a startospheric IQ, unusual business insight, or inside information. What is needed is a sound intellectual framework for decisions and the ability to keep emotions from corroding that framework Do not let emotions get in the way of a sound intellect..make a smart business decision...ohh and buying a boat never has been a smart business decision...but a day on the water sure is a nice escape from reality :)

knothead 10-01-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbdavis (Post 378164)
Has any one been using data such as the graph below to start investing in their boats to use as future migratory homes?

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...davis/file.png

The way I figure it, I'll skip the bread lines and head south after hurricane season and head back north before the heat.

Plus, I figure I can't lose any more money if I put in my boat than I will if I leave it in my investments.

I don't need a graph. My gut tells me my boat is my ace in the hole.

What does that graph represent anyway?

lbdavis 10-01-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 378199)
I don't need a graph. My gut tells me my boat is my ace in the hole.

What does that graph represent anyway?

That's the DOW for the last 12 months. 14,000 to nearly 10,000. Almost -30%. :eek: I wonder if everyone's boats have depreciated 30% in the last 12 months?

lbdavis 10-01-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 378176)

Mostly by luck, the family had shoved off when the nation’s economic situation looked especially dire. When they returned, the dust had settled, jobs were plentiful, and the economy was booming again. Their tale was familiar to me. More than a few of our fellow cruising sailors during the early 1990s were young professionals who’d lost their jobs in corporate downsizing. Rather than fight for scraps in the shark tank, they took their meager savings and went sailing. When they finally returned to the workaday world, they had no trouble picking up where they left off.

So . . . if the news out of Wall Street is getting you down, look at it this way. It’s one more reason to go cruising – now. The way things are going, you won’t be missing much."

Nuf said. See you suckers later!!! :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

J36ZT 10-01-2008 02:07 PM

I don't think you need to use an impending economic doom or "Armageddon" as an excuse to go sailing or start the voyage for an extended cruise. But...it sure does help!

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"