Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Done with the canal... heading down the Hudson...

We just finished going down the Champlain Canal today. It's been a good trip south so far. Taking our mast down on Monday went great, and we made it halfway down Lake Champlain on the first day. On day two (Tuesday), we entered the Champlain lock system and made it halfway through. Today, we finished the other half and are currently overnighting at the Albany Yacht Club. Tomorrow we head to Catskill, NY to Riverview Marina to get our mast put back up again. I can't wait to turn back into a sailboat.

We took lots of pictures, and I plan to put together a whole writeup of traversing the Champlain Canal soon.

From Catskill we head south towards New York City, through Hell Gate, to a couple of additional spots before we end our trip near New Haven CT. We'll be keeping our boat in the water there for a few more weeks and then we'll have it hauled for the Winter, to return to Champlain in the Spring. We hope to meet up with a couple of other Sailnetters along the way at Liberty Landing Marina next to New York City. If anyone else is along our path, shout out so we can see if it's near where we're stopping.

Chris
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Enjoy your trip, and best of luck.

I grew up on the East coast, where canals weren't as vital as they are in other parts of the US (look to the early 19th century, just before railroads became dominant, to see the era of canals).

Now, in New Orleans, I can see the ship traffic from my window at work. Occasionally I can see (with binocs) a sailboat making its way south from somewhere (Chicago?) to somewhere (the Caribbean?) for the winter. Canals from almost two centuries ago made this possible.
Old 10-02-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
slip 72, Tarrytown just north of tappen zee
Old 10-02-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Hey Labatt,
My sailboat is at Nyack Boat Club (about 25 km up river from NYC) and they have transient moorings for pretty cheap (around $30/night). The anchorage there is just north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. Depending on the tides/current it is about 5 hours north of Liberty Landing. Consider NBC as a potential stopover point on your way down. Their launch monitors vhf channel 9.
I live in lower Manhattan and would consider visiting you at LLM when you get in. It is just a ferry ride to LLM and short walk from where I am.
I gather that you are a fan of the departed Robert Gainer. I am too but never met him, alas. He kept his boat in Beacon, NY if I recall correctly.
Enjoy the scenery on the way down from Albany.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Labatt
Why not restep at Albany YC? From memory, I thought that was a good place to do it.
I'll be doing the Erie soon, hopefully. Any tips on the unstepping/restepping as a transient do-it-yourselfer would be great.
Thanks
Ed
Old 10-02-2008
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I don't think the Albany Yacht club does masts. You can get it done either in Castleton (do it yourself) or in the two marinas in Catskill. I prefer Riverview in Catskill. Mike, the owner is very helpful and never rushes you. There is one place in Albany where you can get it done that's Scarano's.

Just one or two tips if it's your first time. When you unstep the mast, do not take your sails off. Leave the headsail on the foil. Leave the main on the boom. A lot quicker and you don't have to find room to stow them. Also having the sail on the foil helps protect it when it's lashed to the mast. Put the butt forward and put a fender on the end. When tying up in the evening always stop at the high side of a lock. You're not in a hole then and don't get pushed around when they dump the lock. Get one of those emergency vhf antennas and plug that into your vhf, that way you don't have to rely on a handheld for communicating with the locks.

Enjoy your trip. It's very relaxing and the lock keepers are very helpful.

Old 10-02-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Vasco is correct - AYC doesn't do masts. We had ours taken down by Scarano's on the way north a couple of years ago, but after doing ours and having the river traffic rocking our boat, they decided to only work on masts for boats that are getting work done there. There's a do-it-yourself Gin Pole at Castleton for the strong of heart, but we're heading to Riverview Marina to get ours done.

Good suggestion on the emergency antenna. We used the handheld on the way north, but I bought an emergency antenna this year and it's working great. We left our headsail on our furler last time, but took it off this time. There were too many issues with getting the mast balanced last time, so we decided not to risk it. It only took us about 30 minutes to get it down and flaked.

We stayed on the high side of six on the way through the canal system. The only other thing I can mention about staying at a lock wall is that they were made for much bigger ships. The bollards you have to tie around are 10 feet back from the wall, and the wall itself is several feet above the boat. Some of the walls, however, are more small boat friendly, such as the wall south of Lock 9.
Old 10-02-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
thanks guys
Old 10-02-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Give a wave as you pass Hempstead Harbour on your way east on Long Island Sound. If its Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I'll probably be out there daysailing. Look for a 30-footer with sail number 22839.
Old 10-04-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Coming into Catskill on Thursday we went aground soft in the creek and had some fun kedging off . We got our mast up with no issue at Riverview Marina (nice place, nice owner) and re-rigged Pelican. We met several southbound cruisers heading for Annapolis and other points to await permission (insurance) to head further south - most heading for the Bahamas. We left Catskill this morning at around 7:30am to take advantage of the ebb tide down the Hudson. We're shooting for Haverstraw right now, but I don't know if we'll make it before the current turns too hard against us. It was 35 degrees last night, and no more than 50 when we left this morning. We're bundled up in many layers, and our kids are down below with the Webasto heater turned on. The mist across the water was beautiful. The wind is blowing around 6-7 kts on our nose right now, so as all delivery trips go - no sailing today.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.