SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   "Morning Light" movie, anyone... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/47655-morning-light-movie-anyone.html)

DrB 10-02-2008 09:49 AM

"Morning Light" movie, anyone...

have a good inside scoop on this upcoming Disney flick? Release date is Oct. 17.

Plot/Story: 15 "newbie" sailors training for and then sailing on a TP52 for Transpac Race. Are the sailing sequences good and a lot of them or is this a 2 h "reality" movie with some sailing scenes thrown in?

I did a search and there is very little about it aside from the trailer and some stills about it.

Want to know if it's worth seeing on the big screen or waiting until it arrives at my video store.

DrB

zz4gta 10-02-2008 01:45 PM

Considering it doesn't come out until the 17th, not to many are going to be able to give you a review. However, the company "DryUV" outfitted the sailors, if you contact them, they might know a little more about it. Search for prowik or dryshirt. They also sponsor SA.

Unless the reviews are great, I'll probably wait for the video. It is Disney after all.

mrwuffles 10-02-2008 02:38 PM

the site says it is about actual kids who did the race because they wer sponsored by disney it actually look good its more of a documentary than you make it sound

edstill 10-02-2008 02:57 PM

Without judgement that the film may or may not be interesting. I would agree with DrB's assumption that this is more 'reality' than documentary. A documentary films records events that would happen regardless of there are cameras in place. This film is produced, and those kids (who were all sailor already, btw- but not on trans-pac level), would never have sailed that race if Disney hadn't invested in the film.

That said, I'm a reality TV junkie, and look forward to seeing the movie on the big screen.

Valiente 10-02-2008 03:15 PM

Roy Disney, Walt's nephew, is himself pretty old now, but I believe has done many, many TransPacs, as well as owned some winners, so this could be a pet or a vanity project.

SailChick20 10-02-2008 03:28 PM

There's a short article on it in this month's Sail Magazine:

Filmed by the guy behind the cameras of "Deadliest Catch," they had to replace the camera boat 2 weeks before the race...Disney hired Steve Fossett's round-the-world maxi cat "Cheyenne."

The director is not a sailor, purposely chosen that way...as they didn't want an insider point of view.

I'll be curious to see it.

mtboat 10-02-2008 03:32 PM

Of course it is a pet project. But that's ok. It puts some new sailing footage out there for me. I just read they had over 500 applicants. Roy Disney is going to be following in a charter boat with all his buddies for crew. So cool.

tommays 10-02-2008 03:37 PM

Well

I cant find the link right now BUT they used small boat racers and had to do a LOT of racing to make the cut

I look forward to seeeing it

sailingdog 10-02-2008 09:16 PM

Be aware that the guys doing the movie posted here a while back, and were looking for kids to sail on that boat, and be in that film... :)

skyellab 10-06-2008 05:03 PM

I am going to a fund raising event next Monday with Roy Disney in person to watch the film and answer questions.

I will report on it. Anyone have a question they want me to ask Roy? Best one I will do my best to get answered.:cool: