Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quickly looking ar your first boat, weekend explorer, two boats come t mind that are similar, "Nancy's China" Sand glue plans and maybe kits are availible for this boat, an article in Wooden Boat IIRC was written about building it. Another from Glen-L designs in Cal. is the Glen-L 17. Altho not as salty as the other two you looked at. Clark craft has the Hartly boat plans, there is one fellow from down under where they originated with a 17/18' version fo the boat. I do not remember the lenth at this time either.

3-5 yrs to build a rig like you are looking at sounds about right. My stepdad built a Glen L 21 CB model in about that time. Then again as a teen it took me about 2 yrs to build an 8' pram, other things on my mind if you will.........will not go there.........

I have a list of about 8 boat plan places, along with kit style boats. Most can be found in the back end of a Woodenboat magizine, along with going to WoodenBoat Publications, WoodenBoat Magazine, Professional BoatBuilder Magazine, Small Boats Magazine and Getting Started in Boats. you can find plans and kits from them too of different boats. They also have a forum for builders, as does Glen-L designs too. I can do the list later tonight or sunday am if you like with links, not time at this moment.

Good luck.

Off to a race this am with 20-30 knot winds predicted.

Marty
Old 10-04-2008

paulk is on a distinguished road
If the lake you're heading towards is as small as it sounds, something like the Lightning suggested above seems to make a lot of sense. You might be able to find a used one, equipped with all you'd need, for about what materials alone would cost for some other design (try pricing out 10 sheets of marine-grade plywood, some oak for frames, and a gallon of fiberglass resin and some cloth.) With a boom tent, people have cruised long distances in Lightnings or similar boats. They're a lot nicer than a Snark. If you're still psyched to build, another design to consider would be the Norwalk Islands Sharpies, by Bruce Kirby. There are a variety of sizes, designed to be built by amateurs out of plywood. Either way, have fun!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2008

BillBrush is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Nor is your lake too big from the photos.
My only comments are that since the fall is here there will be stronger winds and your mast, booms and sail may take a little beating from some of the stronger gusts that will come. What is the sail material by the way?
My last comment concerns the height of the lower boom. It seems a bit high and you could get a bit more sail area out of it if it was lower. That would also mean that you might have to duck as the sail goes over your head.
In the 'semi-long term' scheme of things use the Duckling that you have created and figure out what it is you want to do more of. The autumn winds may or may not wreak havoc on your standing rigging but you will certainly figure this out too.

Looking good little Duck! Nice pictures with that see through sail too!
My best.
CalebD
I've pretty much parked it for the winter at this point. I don't really want to take the chance on going for a swim in October.

My sail is made of 6 mil polypropylene sheeting, aka plastic and duct tape. It was simply to get me up and running quickly and cheaply but it's also been a source of never-ending amusement with family and friends. My Christmas present is probably going to be a new dacron sail.

It's a lot of fun and it's been an education, especially in judging actual wind vs apparent wind as it very quickly shifts to the bow as the sail "powers up."

Bill
Old 10-04-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrush View Post
I've pretty much parked it for the winter at this point. I don't really want to take the chance on going for a swim in October.

My sail is made of 6 mil polypropylene sheeting, aka plastic and duct tape. It was simply to get me up and running quickly and cheaply but it's also been a source of never-ending amusement with family and friends. My Christmas present is probably going to be a new dacron sail.

It's a lot of fun and it's been an education, especially in judging actual wind vs apparent wind as it very quickly shifts to the bow as the sail "powers up."

Bill
The 6 mil is probably ok for light winds (as mentioned above) but if you want something a little more robust (but still pretty cheap) you can use polytarp. In fact there is a company that sells polytarp sail (Polysail) kits.

White Polytarp Sails

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Meet me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 10-16-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Here's the link to the new Chesapeake Light Craft (CLC) boat that baboon was trying to post. Nice lookin' boat.
Chesapeake Light Craft » Catalog » PocketShip » Boat Plans, Boat Kits, Kayak Kits, Canoe Kits, Sailboat Kits, Rowboat Kits, Paddleboard Kits, Boatbuilding Supplies, Boat Gear and Accessories, Kayaks, Canoes, Sailing Dinghies, Rowing Craft, Paddleboar