Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2002

anneminix is on a distinguished road
sloop vs cutter

what would s be the advantange of a double head sail on a sloop or disavantage ,over a cutter designed sail .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2002

walt123 is on a distinguished road
sloop vs cutter

Cutter rig = smaller headsails, easier to manage. This is especially helpful in bad weather when the staysail comes into it own. The foredeck is however taken up with the staysail and Jib so it is not as useful for dingy storage etc.
Sloop rig = simpler without the inner forestay and running backs. Trysail is the only choice in really bad weather.
Personal preferences apply here. I have had both and prefer a masthead sloop but have a cutter oh well good luck! This is the short answer.
Old 08-12-2002

Manateee Gene is on a distinguished road
sloop vs cutter

Walt: some of the sloop rigs with inner forestays sail and handle better with a small staysail rather than a trisail!
Old 08-24-2002

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road
sloop vs cutter

A double headfoil will let you carry two headsails, already hanked-on. Increasing or reducing sail would be a matter of dropping the first sail, transferring the halyard and sheets to the second, bagging or securing the first sail, and hoisting and trimming the second. Sure, a cutter does this all faster, but this is still better than unhanking/rehanking sails on the foredeck.
Double headfoils can also be used on dead runs by dousing the main and then running wing-on-wing, poling out as necessary. A cutter can do the same thing.

HERE''S MY QUESTION: HOW IS A SEAMAN-LIKE TACK PERFORMED ON A CUTTER, WITH THAT INNER FORESTAY IN THE WAY? Do you just run the sheets forward of the stay, and drag all that canvass across it?
Old 08-24-2002

fer@fer is on a distinguished road
sloop vs cutter

Hi Jeff

Ussually, a yankee jib is hanked in a cutter rig. With short LP and high clew. On top of that, in a rush tack, you may also keep the staysail sheeted to winward while tacking the headsail.

Shoud you carry a furler, you may also roll up a bit the headsail to make it easier.

I do that all the time since my ketch is cutter rigged. Moreover, I am planning to add a third stay with a Harken roller so I can keep handy a 150% genoa in the first one, a 110% yankee, and the staysail.

Roll up

fernando