Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Sailing in different parts of the country

I am thinking about moving someplace where I can sail more often. The weather here in minnesota makes it pretty tough to sail year round. Is there anyplace where I can look to see what the sailing environment in different parts of the country is like? I can look up temperature online pretty easy so that is not it.

For instance I have seen people talk about how seattle has pretty light air so full keel boats are generally not good. I have also heard people mention that the west coast can be pretty treacherous sailing. Don't know why, but thats what they say.

Another one that has come up is something along the ten tom waterway. I have heard that it is really pretty but not much info about winds and whatnot.

In general I am looking for someplace with water all year round and access to the ocean or gulf. I would also need access to a good sized airport. A nice to have would be a bustling tech market local but I can cope without that.

The obvious place is florida and I have friends there that I can hang out with. In general I am kind of thinking east coast but oregon or washington state are certainly on the table as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2008

BluewaterBruce is on a distinguished road
You betchya, dat florida place is real nice, goot sailin.. moved her meself awheel back ya know.

Id dunt know who trechris da west coast is but I knowed da nort coast is a might trechris.

aye, good luck to ya der fella findin da place in yer dreams!
Old 10-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Lots of places would work--California, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Virginia, North/South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-03-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
been thinking about that myself, hate the way things just close up in michigan. Seriously been considering anywhere from the chesapeake on down.
A decent way to get an idea of climate is to go to Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, and more and check out the cities in the area you're interested in, they have a few charts in there with average temps, rain/snowfall, wind speeds etc.
Used to use that site when I was being moved around the country for work, if it was near water I'd look it over and see if I wanted to bring my trailer sailor.

Ken.

edit:
The site is city-data.com, (don't forget the hyphen)the link above should take you there, can't figure out why the forum software wants to stretch it out like that, and don't see a way to 'title' the link like you can on most boards

Ken.

Last edited by merc2dogs; 10-03-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-03-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It's not just the weather/climate that should factor into this decision... you should also consider the nature of the region as it relates to cruising.

California, Florida, the Gulf, etc all have warm year round conditions that don't require winter storage. But I'd argue that none of them can hold a candle to the PNW for easily accessible sheltered cruising grounds.

Puget Sound, Georgia Strait, Gulf Islands , Desolation Sound, and even (for the more adventurous) into the inside passage and on to Alaska is the menu for this region, with few open ocean/leeshore trips. Typically still nights in most anchorages, and a good selection of bays and coves to best deal with the two primary weather patterns that cycle through are other points to highly recommend it.

"Winter" sailing is in fact doable, but is also on the chilly side and requires some dedication and decent gear. A bonus is having most anchorages to yourself.

But look at the big picture, more than just the climate!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-03-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
But look at the big picture, more than just the climate!
Is "climate" that cold wet stuff that runs off my sou'wester and down the inside of my collar? Faster, you're supposed to make the PNW sound less appealing so they'll go somewhere else. I haven't learned all those "rules of the road" yet, so need lots of space.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 10-03-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Unless you are independently wealthy you may want to look at economies as well. Florida is not one of the hotter markets for jobs at the moment.
Old 10-03-2008
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by huguley3 View Post
I am thinking about moving someplace where I can sail more often. The weather here in minnesota makes it pretty tough to sail year round. Is there anyplace where I can look to see what the sailing environment in different parts of the country is like? I can look up temperature online pretty easy so that is not it.

For instance I have seen people talk about how seattle has pretty light air so full keel boats are generally not good. I have also heard people mention that the west coast can be pretty treacherous sailing. Don't know why, but thats what they say.

Another one that has come up is something along the ten tom waterway. I have heard that it is really pretty but not much info about winds and whatnot.

In general I am looking for someplace with water all year round and access to the ocean or gulf. I would also need access to a good sized airport. A nice to have would be a bustling tech market local but I can cope without that.

The obvious place is florida and I have friends there that I can hang out with. In general I am kind of thinking east coast but oregon or washington state are certainly on the table as well.
Water all year round: Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay

Access to ocean or gulf: a bit of a run down to the mouth of the Chesapeake, so maybe not.

Good sized airport: Baltimore-Washington International

Bustling tech market: Baltimore/Washington metro area

To paraphrase Meatloaf: three out of four ain't bad.
Old 10-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Norfolk has what Baltimore doesn't...easy ocean and icw access. access to the chesapeake, access to the NC sounds...and a good airport or two. Job market is good due to government and the Navy. Cheaper than Baltimore both for boat slips and living.

Baltimore is however...a wonderful city these days and I like the CITY more than Norfolk. Just too far up the Bay! Climate and sailing season are long and the cruising is as varied as anywhere.
Old 10-03-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Is "climate" that cold wet stuff that runs off my sou'wester and down the inside of my collar? Faster, you're supposed to make the PNW sound less appealing so they'll go somewhere else. I haven't learned all those "rules of the road" yet, so need lots of space.
You're right, Ray... should have just pushed Puget Sound, since it must be deserted all summer - all the Americans are in our waters!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)